Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2418689 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #15945 on: March 04, 2012, 04:16:04 pm »

I like Minecraft but agree with some of his points. The crafting is fairly unintuitive and I remember Notch saying the same. The art is also shaky in places and again Notch did consider replacing it with the painterly pack, if I remember correctly. I'd also say a lot of the players agree that the base game has problems given how many like to use mods and texture packs.

I think that is a spurious argument. Any way you cut it, modding is going to increase the number of players of the game. The greater the breadth of mods, the greater the increase in players. However, I will say that modding is probably a good portion of the reason the Minecraft is so popular. There's only so much you can do with plugging blocks together, and while that sense of boyhood lego fantasy is what initially sparked so many purchases, mods are what keep the balance of players coming back to the game - whether because it gives more to do in single player, or because it offers rulesets for multiplayer interaction while maintaining vanilla flavor (e.g. survival PvP, N@W), or completely changes what the program is used for (e.g. an almost cinematic story telling experience).

Modding demonstrates how much farther Minecraft, as a vanilla game, could have gone on its own, if the Vision for the game wanted to go that far. I don't think Notch would have taken it that far, though, as demonstrated by the modest plans for the 'adventure' update which ostensibly culminated in The End. Maybe there is more depth planned, but it doesn't really matter, because we have modding after all. If Minecraft was not moddable, it would have probably peaked long before its official release, or occupied the same much smaller niche as its predecessors did.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #15946 on: March 04, 2012, 04:27:41 pm »

I don't see how my argument is spurious. Many players wouldn't be playing MC, the base game, if it wasn't for mods. These players clearly have a problem with the base game, namely, that the base game gets boring for them. I'm not speaking objectively of course, I still play the base game happily, but many would agree that the base game has problems and use mods to remedy them.

Edit to add: It's not just boredom either, some people have a problem with the base graphics or even certain gameplay mechanics.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:32:21 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: March 04, 2012, 04:34:44 pm »

Minecraft was pretty dang popular back in creative. I'm only really interested in new releases because of sexy lighting engine, sexy halfblocks and usable flows for waterfalls.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: March 04, 2012, 05:09:11 pm »

Playing technic pack, I found this generated on the map ( I didn't built it! ):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hot damn, I love this pack; it built me an airship. :D

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15949 on: March 04, 2012, 05:20:55 pm »

Good luck killing the pirates :P
*Hugs*

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15950 on: March 04, 2012, 05:25:16 pm »

is it just me, or does tekkit feel more like technicpack than technicpack itself?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #15951 on: March 04, 2012, 05:31:53 pm »

forsaken, any chance for the new modpack?
for version 1.2.2?
*_*
Any chance? 100% chance once all of the primary mods are updated to 1.2! That will be a little while though before the modders get a handle on the new save formats and everything. And it won't be save compatible most likely, though if I can make it so I will. I really doubt it though with this much of a change to base minecraft.

Forsaken's ID Resolver in his modpack won't assign them then. So I have to do it manually?
Actually, it says it ran out of block ID's.
Yeah, my modpack has all but 2 block ID's used. If the mod you want to add uses more than 2 block ID's then you'll need to remove something else to free up those block ID's or just wait for version 1.2 with its massive block ID capacity increase.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #15952 on: March 04, 2012, 05:42:43 pm »

one could actually use all those id to place all the mods into one single, big, enormous Mega mod pack of doom and destruction.
Every single mod no matter how fickle or enormous...
think the work...
the satisfaction...
the chaos!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #15953 on: March 04, 2012, 05:47:07 pm »

Good luck killing the pirates :P
Luckily, it has beds on it, so it was easy.
I died a total of 77 times >_<

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: March 04, 2012, 05:52:02 pm »

Enjoy never having to mine again, you've earned it :P
*Hugs*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #15955 on: March 04, 2012, 05:53:18 pm »

one could actually use all those id to place all the mods into one single, big, enormous Mega mod pack of doom and destruction.
Every single mod no matter how fickle or enormous...
think the work...
the satisfaction...
the chaos!
Block ID's are only one bottleneck. Some mods change base classes and will not be compatible unless a coder conversant with both mods writes a new base class combining the changes I suppose. This is one reason I don't include BTW, it changes too many base classes and would conflict with a bunch of other mods.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15956 on: March 04, 2012, 05:55:44 pm »

BTW probably has code in it to format your hard drive if it detects any other mods anyway.

Like that addon that was released for Industrialcraft that would crash minecraft if you had Technic pack installed, and give you a condascending message.

Of course, if you spent hours getting all of the mods together yourself, it'd crash Minecraft anyway.
*Hugs*

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #15957 on: March 04, 2012, 06:02:51 pm »

Of course, if you spent hours getting all of the mods together yourself, it'd crash Minecraft anyway.
Very much this. I once tried putting about a dozen mods onto my minecraft. I had to ditch over half before it stopped crashing on startup for various reasons. Making minecraft mods work together is something of a deep magic.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15958 on: March 04, 2012, 06:03:34 pm »

Nah, I was talking about that specific bit of code, it checked for the mods that constituted technic and crashed minecraft if it detected them.
*Hugs*

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: March 04, 2012, 06:07:09 pm »

Ah, okay.

Also, I'm not going to mine this ship, it's awesome! I'm going to build my HQ on and around it. :D
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 1380