Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419237 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #15795 on: February 26, 2012, 06:36:03 pm »

updates, for one.

specially when you are on a modded world and updates breaks compatibility and fixes are not backported (ah, the joy of living dangerously).

also, it will just be overwhelming the same way to work with 'ideas', as you still have ton of stuff and the slightest thing may suddenly uncover huge trees of craftables.

and it's not just the recipe the problematic stuff to remember, but also the usage, the placement, the exact tool to use to rotate the stuff you placed the way you want, etc etc.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15796 on: February 26, 2012, 07:03:14 pm »

I think the "ideas" idea would be fantastic if the game was new. Minecraft has been around for a fairly long time now, and the players who are into the game enough to use mods are used to knowing everything in the game already, and to using wikis when they don't. Having a system of context-sensitive unlocks kind of messes with their flow.

A more compatible way to do it would be that unlocking ideas gives you the schematics, but you aren't prevented from crafting items if you don't have the idea. A new player would find a rubber tree and figure out cables, while a seasoned player would build a generator straightaway and just unlock all the ideas that lead up to that at once. If ideas offered a guide on what the items are and what they do, the system would become infinitely more helpful and more divergent from the recipe book.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15797 on: February 26, 2012, 07:23:01 pm »

I'm playing with some ideas for an Iron Golem dropship in Technic.

Naturally, it won't be able to actually drop IGs until 1.2, but whatever.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15798 on: February 26, 2012, 08:11:17 pm »

That's funny, because the only thing changing here is your playing vanilla minecraft like you normally would, while unlocking new content as you go along. That's not grinding. Grinding is when you read HOW to unlock everything, then try to rush it all, without actually using what you discover.

There is simply too much stuff in technic. Having progression like this would slow the pace down to a reasonable amount.

This already exists, to an extent, in vanilla minecraft. The recipes are generally based on putting things together in a particular way, since you don't have any hint as to how things are supposed to go together or what you can even make. It also works better in that regard, because it is not predicated on a needless "use something X times".

Even with the vanilla game working in that fashion, people resort to out-of-game references or mods for recipe lists. The only thing yours would do would bring in the recipe book as a vanilla mechanic, but artificially limit what you can make based on some pseudo-realism. It has merit to a minor degree, maybe a niche audience for a challenge/survivalist/realist experience, but I wouldn't say it is something to add to or that would improve the vanilla experience.

As Biag said, I might be singing a different tune if this was something in Minecraft from the start. It depends on how far along the "exploration" spectrum Minecraft wants to be as a game (as opposed to the "construction" or "adventure" spectrum). Even so, I doubt it would have saved the community from creating their own references or modding more convenient recipe books.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:16:35 pm by Niveras »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15799 on: February 27, 2012, 03:31:53 am »

Practice with snow golems.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #15800 on: February 27, 2012, 03:46:59 pm »

For those of you who have trouble with the fact that Technic has to much to learn (I know I did) I can only suggest what I did to go from 0 to understanding what was going on. A guy on YouTube called direwolf20 has a let's play for 1.1 which while he is not using Technic he is using the mods that need the most to learn (Buildcraft, Equivalent Exchange, Industrial craft, etc) and he does a really good job of explaining what he is doing while doing it so it might be worth checking out. Of note though, he does not have the mods ComputerCraft nor Thaumcraft so you would have to look elsewhere to learn those. Most of the other mods are more passive or easy to learn such as while Mo' Creatures does have some cool stuff you can do with breeding horses and dolphins you don't need to know that to experience the bread and butter of the mod itself (I actually use it just for the ogres). Anyway the playlist for the lets play is here.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15801 on: February 27, 2012, 05:36:07 pm »

Practice with snow golems.

Well, I know HOW you make IGs. They just won't turn into IGs until 1.2.

It's a + shape, with the upper arm being a pumpkin and the rest iron blocks.

Over the course of my experiments, I've found that a piston will only push up to 3 pumpkins on any surface. Also, I have determined that the easiest way to make a dropship will be to have the T-shape of iron blocks pushed into place by pistons and have deployers place the pumpkins when I want to deploy the IGs.

The idea will be to make a base that holds stocks of iron blocks and pumpkins, supplying materials to the 5 deployers via BC pipes that will be pushed into place via piston for loading the deployers back up and pulled out of place prior to launching the dropship. All the mechanisms for assembling the IGs will be in the dropship, assuming that the Zeppelin mod plays well with RedPower wires/logic gates/machine blocks and pistons.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15802 on: February 27, 2012, 05:40:38 pm »

So what do Iron Golems actually do? My laptop is incapable of MinceRafting without OptiFine
*Hugs*

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15803 on: February 27, 2012, 05:48:39 pm »

They attack most hostile mobs except creepers, take a ton of punishment and deal a ton of damage, two-shotting anything without armor. Naturally spawned ones also provide a free source of iron, provided you can take them down. Which isn't too hard, as they can still drown and can't swim.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15804 on: February 27, 2012, 05:49:13 pm »

Snazzy, they're in MC 1.2 yeah?
*Hugs*

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #15805 on: February 27, 2012, 05:51:35 pm »

Assuming nothing goes horribly horribly wrong, yes.
Obviously, the snapshot works :P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:53:32 pm by Twi »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #15806 on: February 27, 2012, 06:03:56 pm »

I'm actually going to work on designs for a Snow Golem dropship as well.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15807 on: February 27, 2012, 06:17:29 pm »

So those mods allow golems to be made without a player placing the pumpkin?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15808 on: February 27, 2012, 06:39:33 pm »

Redpower has blocks called deployers, which effectively call OnRightClick() with the items inside them, so if it's a block, it places it. This can be used to automate golem production.
*Hugs*

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15809 on: February 27, 2012, 07:02:48 pm »

For those of you who have trouble with the fact that Technic has to much to learn (I know I did) I can only suggest what I did to go from 0 to understanding what was going on. A guy on YouTube called direwolf20 has a let's play for 1.1 which while he is not using Technic he is using the mods that need the most to learn (Buildcraft, Equivalent Exchange, Industrial craft, etc) and he does a really good job of explaining what he is doing while doing it so it might be worth checking out. Of note though, he does not have the mods ComputerCraft nor Thaumcraft so you would have to look elsewhere to learn those. Most of the other mods are more passive or easy to learn such as while Mo' Creatures does have some cool stuff you can do with breeding horses and dolphins you don't need to know that to experience the bread and butter of the mod itself (I actually use it just for the ogres). Anyway the playlist for the lets play is here.

Just watched the first episode, I like it. Gonna have a watch of the rest tomorrow, see if it gets me back into MC.

Does anyone know how to turn off the annoying redpower stuff in NEI? I don't want all the microblocks in it.
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 1380