Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423148 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #14745 on: November 30, 2011, 04:48:21 am »

Gamespot gave Minecraft the most sensible of all the Metacritic scores up to now. I'm surprised.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14746 on: November 30, 2011, 09:22:45 am »

Gamespot gave Minecraft the most sensible of all the Metacritic scores up to now. I'm surprised.

which was?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14747 on: November 30, 2011, 10:01:46 am »

which was?
...about 3 seconds of Internet searching.

http://www.gamespot.com/minecraft/reviews/minecraft-review-6346734?tag=games%3Bgame_title%3B2

8.5/10
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #14748 on: November 30, 2011, 10:05:01 am »

we are supposed to use the search button to our question, not for other affirmations  :P

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14749 on: November 30, 2011, 10:50:21 am »

Which is more efficient? The poster putting up a link. Or getting everyone who views it to google for the link?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14750 on: November 30, 2011, 11:54:21 am »

Numerical game scores are weird things anyway, I can't really see how you would assign a numerical value to game scores. The best way to really go about it is establish the reviewers personalities and tastes and let them give thumbs at most.

Minecraft as a game hits a nerve of creative lego building that Lego has been dropping the ball on for years. It is virtual legos, and that is really all that needs to be said on the positive mechanical aspects. Many negative points and pointless nitpicking can be done for the negative bits, but this single positive points overrides it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14751 on: November 30, 2011, 12:59:04 pm »

Except that Minecraft is dropping that very same ball as well.  Most of the new additions have little to do with building and focus more on combat and questy elements, the 'final boss' even destroys any block you place while caring less than your average honey badger.

It's as if Lego suddenly started releasing Playmobil objects that happen to be able to snap onto the grid.

The enchantment table at least requires you to build a little library around it. Minecraft needs more of that to bring the focus back to building and mining. Some sort of objectives that, while not too restrictive, might inspire people to build great things.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14752 on: November 30, 2011, 01:07:38 pm »

Except that Minecraft is dropping that very same ball as well.  Most of the new additions have little to do with building and focus more on combat and questy elements, the 'final boss' even destroys any block you place while caring less than your average honey badger.

Ah but see, all of the things that made Minecraft good in the first place are still there.  Your server isn't suddenly full of oversized blocks that only fit together in a handful of ways.  They're still blocks, and they're still universal, and you can still build stuff with them.

I'll admit to falling into this trap myself, but while it's fine to argue about whether or not an added feature is a good feature, at no point has Minecraft ever lost anything.  That's a big difference.  Well okay, the Hunger mechanic is a change in playstyle since you can't turn it off (Vanilla), but even that doesn't stop you from playing with your Legos.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14753 on: November 30, 2011, 01:23:09 pm »

The ball Minecraft dropped in my original argument is the very same ball Lego dropped. And since most old Lego blocks are still there as well, I fail to see which trap I fell into. :P
It's not about what Minecraft lost, it's about the direction Minecraft is taking. And even though Minecraft isn't leaving anything behind, it isn't going in the direction that has the things I want to see more of.

I get bored easily with the vanilla Minecraft stuff anyways. Once I know what every block does, all that's left is occasionally going onto a multiplayer server with some friends to build crazy things, but that gets dull rather quickly. I like playing with new updates and new mods, and it's a shame that I'm looking forward to new mods more eagerly than updates.

Also, I wouldn't mind being able to jump off a cliff or opening a door without wincing. The new sounds are horrible, did they murder a styrofoam elephant with a rusty apple peeler or what?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14754 on: November 30, 2011, 01:31:58 pm »

Personally, I don't mind the new sounds at all.

But I agree that vanilla minecraft tend to get boring rather quickly.
Still waiting for Tale Of Kingdoms mod to update. (Which should be this saturday or sunday.)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14755 on: November 30, 2011, 01:46:10 pm »

I'm just waiting for Forge to update so I can install other mods with Xie's.
*Hugs*

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14756 on: November 30, 2011, 02:34:07 pm »

I also disagree with the direction it took, re: The End. To me, it's a sandbox, it shouldn't have an end. But that's just me, and nobody forces you to go there, nobody makes you fight the dragon, and if you do choose to, the rest of the game is still waiting for you when you're done.

Personally, I would like to see more blocks. I would like to have more options. I would like there to be more things you can do with redstone. I am happy with the way things are now though. The End doesn't take anything away and as long as mods are still an option, I don't have much room to complain, except with the frequent updates which constantly break mods.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #14757 on: November 30, 2011, 02:51:32 pm »

I'm just waiting for Forge to update so I can install other mods with Xie's.
I'm waiting for forge and spacetoad's vacation to end.
Or hopefully RedPower PR4.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14758 on: November 30, 2011, 02:57:54 pm »

Still playing 1.8.1 Technic Pack here. Once IC2/BC/EE/RP are all updated I'll get into 1.0.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14759 on: November 30, 2011, 03:09:06 pm »

Once I know what every block does, all that's left is occasionally going onto a multiplayer server with some friends to build crazy things, but that gets dull rather quickly.
You never had this ball, it has forever bounced outside of your grasp.

The ball is unlimited legos. It is building whatever you want with these highly modular pieces with no restraint. More different legos would be appreciated, but so long as I have a limitless amount of what I got, there is no problem from me whatsoever. Heck, we have not even tapped the full creative potential of the blocks we have, and I still have not gotten my mitts on mass amounts of the new stuff in 1.0.

I'm not going to go so far as say you are playing the game wrong, but arguments for the game not being developed properly should be taken as subjectively as how people play it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 982 983 [984] 985 986 ... 1380