Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423397 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #14670 on: November 25, 2011, 05:52:13 pm »

mods are in the end, fan-fictions. it's fans who decide to make something which they believe is better, and then share it off.
I don't think all modders think their thing is better, just something that isn't in the game.

Aqizzar game a good little note on Fanfiction once. It's an easy way of writing characters and situations within the framework of an already established universe. You don't need to invest the effort or talent in establishing a good frame for these characters and situations.

Modders effectively use the base program as an engine for whatever experiences they want to convey.

How this factors into legality I have no voice in. I do find it a bit silly that people can claim copyright on it when they are basically cracking the game and Notch has already stressed the legal grey area it embraces. It's just a compounding factor of many modders being self-entitled pricks.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14671 on: November 25, 2011, 05:56:32 pm »

I think the original post by greatorder was about how Notch made comments on his twitter basically saying Simon and Lewis are terrible people who tried their best to personally insult him, which ended up not really having any evidence to back it up.  The Yogscast then put out a response saying that most of those things weren't true.

The tweets in question:
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716436129529856
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716600416215040
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716709715582976
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716909767102464

Yogscast's response

Also, I'm pretty sure Notch has something saying he is allowed to take mods and incorporate them into the base game if he feels like it.  Not sure though, I need to check.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 06:04:59 pm by Derekristow »
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: November 25, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »

I think the original post by greatorder was about how Notch made comments on his twitter basically saying Simon and Lewis are terrible people who tried their best to personally insult him, which ended up not really having any evidence to back it up.  The Yogscast then put out a response saying that most of those things weren't true.

The tweets in question:
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716436129529856
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716600416215040
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716709715582976
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716909767102464

Yogscast's response

Also, I'm pretty sure Notch has something saying he is allowed to take mods and incorporate them into the base game if he feels like it.  Not sure though, I need to check.

Didn't we already go through this?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: November 25, 2011, 07:37:48 pm »

yah, the minecon drama is oldhat now, it's mostly resolved - Notch was retweeting yogscast videos today even :P

In ACTIVE drama: FlowerChild the massive blubbering vagina behind 'Better than Wolves' has started whining about how Eloraam is basically one-upping him on everything he does, despite her mod having been planned well in advance he seems to think she's stealing from him (even though stealing an idea is literally impossible). So he's removing Forge compatability in his 1.0 release. I can't hope but think this is only going to drive off all but his most diehard fanboys on his circlejerk forum.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14674 on: November 25, 2011, 07:42:43 pm »

Guy who makes mod who wants to complain about other mods can do so.
I'll be over here not caring.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #14675 on: November 25, 2011, 07:43:57 pm »

Looking back, I joined before Survival Test was even a thing that existed :P

Also, FlowerChild is officially now the biggest asshole ever. I don't really like BTW anyway. Good riddance.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: November 25, 2011, 07:44:08 pm »

Yeah, Better Than Wolves really doesn't add enough content for me to sacrifice basically every other content adding mod, it was neat to have, but it shan't be missed.
*Hugs*

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: November 25, 2011, 10:26:15 pm »

So, since notch doesn't work on minecraft anymore where do we go for updates on minecraft?
Jebs twitter or does he have a blog of his own?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: November 25, 2011, 10:26:43 pm »

I don't know where I stand on the current drama around FlowerChild and forge. It's sad to see disagreement and incompatibility but it sounds like a number of the people working on forge have similar or related issues with how forge is being run.

One thing I noticed that did irk me was FlowerChild complaining about people making mods/extensions of his mod. Seems an odd thing to complain about. I wonder if he'd respect Notch if he asked him to stop.

The more I read about RedPower World and the future plans for it the more it sounds like the mod for me.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

OwlEpicurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14679 on: November 25, 2011, 11:20:23 pm »

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the full version of Minecraft.  It looks like it is well worth the $27; however, I'm afraid of game-breaking lag. 

I tried the free browser version earlier today.  It usually ran at 40-50 FPS.  While not great, it was tolerable.  Problems arose when I tried to rotate the screen using the mouse.  It took the screen several seconds to respond at all, dropping the FPS down to less than 10 (the lowest I ever saw it go was 2).

Has anyone else had this problem?  If so, was it also present in the full version, or did you manage to fix it somehow?  Would the OptiFine mod help at all?  I read in a few places that this might be graphics card issue (which is supported by the fact that I sometimes experience mouse lag right after my laptop boots up).  I have an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000.

(Also, sorry if this isn't quite the right place for this!  I just thought the people here would be more likely to know what's going on, as well as how to fix it.)

Edit:  What I've tried so far:
1) set render distance to short
2) updated my mouse driver
3) updated my graphics card driver (well, tried to - it said I already had the most up-to-date version)
4) downloaded Java version 6 update 29 (had Java 7)
5) removed Java 7
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:29:01 pm by OwlEpicurus »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14680 on: November 25, 2011, 11:46:31 pm »

I don't know where I stand on the current drama around FlowerChild and forge. It's sad to see disagreement and incompatibility but it sounds like a number of the people working on forge have similar or related issues with how forge is being run.

One thing I noticed that did irk me was FlowerChild complaining about people making mods/extensions of his mod. Seems an odd thing to complain about. I wonder if he'd respect Notch if he asked him to stop.

The more I read about RedPower World and the future plans for it the more it sounds like the mod for me.

RedPower World looks AMAZING. Honestly, if RedPower World completely replaced IC and BuildCraft in terms of functionality, I wouldn't complain in the least.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: November 25, 2011, 11:48:02 pm »

Except for the lagtrees of rubber.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14682 on: November 25, 2011, 11:48:49 pm »

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the full version of Minecraft.  It looks like it is well worth the $27; however, I'm afraid of game-breaking lag. 

I tried the free browser version earlier today.  It usually ran at 40-50 FPS.  While not great, it was tolerable.  Problems arose when I tried to rotate the screen using the mouse.  It took the screen several seconds to respond at all, dropping the FPS down to less than 10 (the lowest I ever saw it go was 2).

Has anyone else had this problem?  If so, was it also present in the full version, or did you manage to fix it somehow?  Would the OptiFine mod help at all?  I read in a few places that this might be graphics card issue (which is supported by the fact that I sometimes experience mouse lag right after my laptop boots up).  I have an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000.

(Also, sorry if this isn't quite the right place for this!  I just thought the people here would be more likely to know what's going on, as well as how to fix it.)

Edit:  What I've tried so far:
1) set render distance to short
2) updated my mouse driver
3) updated my graphics card driver (well, tried to - it said I already had the most up-to-date version)
4) downloaded Java version 6 update 29 (had Java 7)
5) removed Java 7
Java 7 is supposed to perform better for MC from everything I've heard. I dunno how much Optifine would help - integrated graphics by Intel can only do so much, generally.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14683 on: November 25, 2011, 11:50:41 pm »

You'd be surprised how many things can run off of integrated graphics if your finagle it a bit, though a good processor certainly helps.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14684 on: November 25, 2011, 11:51:25 pm »

Except for the lagtrees of rubber.

Linux + Minecraft = Master Race

:P
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1380