Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424465 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #14445 on: November 21, 2011, 11:27:28 pm »

Minecraft is a ridiculous thing that came out of nowhere.
Does that make Infiniminer a ridiculous idea that still is nowhere, then?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14446 on: November 21, 2011, 11:29:03 pm »

Minecraft is a ridiculous thing that came out of nowhere.
Does that make Infiniminer a ridiculous idea that still is nowhere, then?

Oh yeah. You got me th-

WAIT. I can fix this.

Infiminer is a ridiculous thing that came out of nowhere.
Does that make nothing a ridiculous idea that still is nowhere, then?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14447 on: November 22, 2011, 12:05:56 am »

I think he may have been comparing them to Deadmou5, who apparently preformed for free because he liked the game and was extremely nice about things despite the club hijacking their thing and ushering in a bunch of unrelated jerks because that performer sells well.

I guess the lesson to be learned is never trust assholes on the internet.

Deadmau5 is also a millionaire with more money than Notch and international record deals. Sure he's a great guy, but he can also afford to take the weekend off and travel internationally on his own dime; Simon, Lewis, and Hannah live in the same house to make ends meet and Hannah still maintains a day job in addition to the community, youtube, etc. Mojang asked them to come but they'd just been over to the states a month prior for the Nvidia LAN party and Blizzcon and really couldn't afford to do it free.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14448 on: November 22, 2011, 12:06:50 am »

Simon, Lewis, and Hannah live in the same house to make ends meet.
Somehow I doubt it.

And if its true, they have no clue how to leverage their celebrity into money.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14449 on: November 22, 2011, 12:13:59 am »

Simon, Lewis, and Hannah live in the same house to make ends meet.
Somehow I doubt it.

And if its true, they have no clue how to leverage their celebrity into money.
1 million people who watch your youtube videos for free is definitely not enough to be all cozy, certainly not as much as a Grammy nominated musician.  Also note that typically most videos don't even allow ads as they contain copyrighted content, so most of their work is free. Just ask our own DF lper jefmajor how much money you can make off of frequent video posts as a YouTube Partner. Estimated rates are as low as .01 cents per thousand hits and as high as 2.50 but it all varies based on content and the current ads based on Google AdSense algorithms. An average seems to be .75 per thousand. Actual hits depend on clickthrough, not simply watching videos - and I know for one that almost everyone I know has never ever clicked the links :P

And yes, the part about them living in the same house to save money is 100 percent true; they did videos last fall when Simon moved into the flat.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:29:52 am by Tilla »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14450 on: November 22, 2011, 04:16:10 am »

Yeah they live together, but to make ends meet? Idk. What I DO know is that simon doesn't have a job, and that one donation link on a website could score them thousands of dollars.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14451 on: November 22, 2011, 04:23:10 am »

Honestly, what does anything have to do with random whatever internet youtube bloggers making ends meet?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14452 on: November 22, 2011, 04:31:50 am »

Honestly, what does anything have to do with random whatever internet youtube bloggers making ends meet?
The reasons it's brought up is in comparison to Deadmau5 not asking for money while Yogscast did - they were /asked/ by Mojang to do a presentation at Minecon and so as is typical in the conference business, they expected at least their expenses paid as guests. Ask anyone who does cons and they'll tell you this. They don't have the money to fly around the world for a party like a millionaire recording artist does.

http://crafthub.net/2011/11/21/yogscast-notch-and-minecon/ Hannah was interviewed here on the subject although it doesn't reveal too much new info, besides this:

He used masturbation jokes in our videos, but then criticises us for using old footage with swearing in, when we have limited resources to edit the footage in Vegas, and also neither Mojang nor IGN gave us any guidelines as to what we were and weren’t allowed to do – the people in the panel and on the livestream chose to come and see us – so you’d think they’d know swearing is likely.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #14453 on: November 22, 2011, 04:37:54 am »

neither Mojang nor IGN gave us any guidelines as to what we were and weren’t allowed to do

this sounds as a very lame excuse.

oh well.

talking on minecraft: now that this updates brought like a third of the stuff that the release was said to be going to contain, is there any known date for the 'real full release'?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14454 on: November 22, 2011, 04:40:21 am »

That's it though, they were never told they were going to get paid, no one was. So why dump all over the internet and real life like they expected to be?

The whole thing is beyond stupid.

@LoSboccacc: I have long since given up on minecraft reaching a "finished" state. Pretty much waiting for mods to update and come out.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14455 on: November 22, 2011, 04:52:40 am »

Terraria is looking to be my favorite sandbox. Minecraft just kind of ruined itself. Jens getting head of dev title won't change much because he was doing everything anyway.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14456 on: November 22, 2011, 04:56:41 am »

well, there is still hope to see a complete version someday.

it is not really ruined until all the base features will be crammed in a to pay dlc  ::)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14457 on: November 22, 2011, 05:48:38 am »

it is not really ruined until all the base features will be crammed in a to pay dlc  ::)
I bought it while it was Alpha, so I get any future DLC for free. 8)
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14458 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:39 am »

I bought it while it was Alpha, so I get any future DLC for free. 8)

I bought it when it was indev
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and even then it had no committed features, so there is only mojang goodwill at this point.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14459 on: November 22, 2011, 06:49:08 am »

I just want modding support.
Pages: 1 ... 962 963 [964] 965 966 ... 1380