Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424904 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #14280 on: November 20, 2011, 05:32:54 pm »

I spawned near some.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14281 on: November 20, 2011, 05:33:00 pm »

I have. In fact, there was a big tundra near my spawn point on a Creative map.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14282 on: November 20, 2011, 05:35:39 pm »

Seems the temperature gradients are pretty huge. Moisture levels seem to just do whatever they want in pretty small areas, leading to swamps next to deserts quite frequently, but when an area is cold it stays cold for a large area. Deserts also remain frequent in a large area.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14283 on: November 20, 2011, 05:38:16 pm »

Seems the temperature gradients are pretty huge. Moisture levels seem to just do whatever they want in pretty small areas, leading to swamps next to deserts quite frequently, but when an area is cold it stays cold for a large area. Deserts also remain frequent in a large area.
I'm not exactly looking for realistic climate and weather in this game :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14284 on: November 20, 2011, 05:39:42 pm »

It would be cool if biomes influenced what other biomes can appear around them, but I'm cool with what we have. Really I would just like more terrain features than biome features. More crazy structures and large caverns. Thinking in the same vein as ravines.

And more of this amazing stuff.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 05:48:38 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14285 on: November 20, 2011, 09:10:35 pm »

On Kael's Server, three of us have embarked across a vast ocean, dubbed The Ocean of Murdered Boats, and founded the fortress of.. well, an unnamed fortress, although I'm voting for Specialsurprise.

For those interested in joining us in a faraway land, across a great ocean, the coordinates are:

X: 495
Z: -6800

If, on your way across the ocean, you come across a small island with beds on it, that was our temporary home.. feel free to use the beds as a spawn point, but leave 'em there! :P

P.S. : Bring a boat.  You'll need it.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #14286 on: November 20, 2011, 09:16:12 pm »

Stuff
So basically, take the DF worldgen algorithm, Java-fy it, and add it?

Do want.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14287 on: November 20, 2011, 09:28:43 pm »

@the one who uploaded some mods while making them all work together (too lazy to look at your name and damn tired here in the middle of the night)
would you be so kind to upload the same thing with the 1.0.0 of minecraft out? pretty please with sugar on top?
If you're talking about me, then sure... once the mods are updated for 1.0 and I have them all sorted out I will put it up here.
Without the minecraft.jar?... since that's considered a no-no by Notch.
I don't really care, honestly. If I can do it without including the .jar I will, else I won't. Its not like it is hard for anyone who wants to pirate the game to find the files anyway.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14288 on: November 20, 2011, 11:18:38 pm »

Stuff

Do want.
Better way is to modify the worldgen and the biome code (They are different, slightly) so that they can accept imported images.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14289 on: November 21, 2011, 12:27:47 am »

@the one who uploaded some mods while making them all work together (too lazy to look at your name and damn tired here in the middle of the night)
would you be so kind to upload the same thing with the 1.0.0 of minecraft out? pretty please with sugar on top?
If you're talking about me, then sure... once the mods are updated for 1.0 and I have them all sorted out I will put it up here.
Without the minecraft.jar?... since that's considered a no-no by Notch.
I don't really care, honestly. If I can do it without including the .jar I will, else I won't. Its not like it is hard for anyone who wants to pirate the game to find the files anyway.
Just thought I'd put up a reminder... in case you (both) forgot:
If you post links to illegal material (files that are being illegally distributed, ie unsanctioned commercial game/music torrents/downloads, etc.) or post illegal images (or images that would have been behind 18+ warnings, etc.), you will be banned.  Don't ask for links or otherwise ask to be directed to places where you can download/obtain things like that either, even if the situation is somewhat more lax in your locality.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14290 on: November 21, 2011, 02:05:28 am »

Stuff

Do want.

Java is terrible. DF is written in, what, some variation of C? Putting the DF worldgen algorithm, even just the terrain bits, would kill Java.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14291 on: November 21, 2011, 03:46:13 am »

Some things would be impossible. I'm mostly thinking of the rivers. They pose a non-trival problem on an almost infinite map that is generated on the fly. I'd argue that for a FPS game like MC the terrain generation is superior to DF. I say superior because all the exported heightmaps I've seen rendered from DF look strange, very flat planes with sudden steep mountains. Biomes could be handled more similarly to avoid weird ones bordering each other. From the previews Notch posted before biomes were released I thought he'd gone the DF route but maybe things changed.

A deeper map with a more DF like world spanning cavern layer full of giant mushrooms and strange creatures could be fun.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14292 on: November 21, 2011, 03:51:00 am »

Dragonshards, that's an exaggeration. I don't like java all that much, but it can be pretty powerful. As for rivers in an infinite world, I can think of at least one way to get that in.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14293 on: November 21, 2011, 04:11:07 am »

So, our 1.0 world gen is amazingly broken.

Not only do we have the blocky cliffs, but Crustypeanut is right in saying that he crossed the largest Ocean I've ever seen in Minecraft. It's still endless in the other directions thus far.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14294 on: November 21, 2011, 04:45:24 am »

It's been a long time since I played, how is it you get it to show your coordinates?
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 951 952 [953] 954 955 ... 1380