Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2427229 times)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #13050 on: October 14, 2011, 10:32:46 am »

Using the Buildcraft pipes in the Technic pack, is there an easy way to evenly distribute items into several containers? I have a little aggregator loop going which I'm hoping to expand.
I also noticed I stopped going hungry for some reason. :/

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13051 on: October 14, 2011, 10:35:22 am »

Maybe if you have a pipe split off in perfect symmetry it'll split even?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13052 on: October 14, 2011, 10:44:29 am »

Using the Buildcraft pipes in the Technic pack, is there an easy way to evenly distribute items into several containers? I have a little aggregator loop going which I'm hoping to expand.
Use a diamond pipe and place one item in each output you want them to use. It will distribute them evenly that way, I believe.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13053 on: October 14, 2011, 11:41:31 am »

So... Apparently notch is making the sun and moon round instead of square in the next version? I'm actually surprisingly disappointed about this. The square sun was a major part of the Cubivore aesthetic that endeared the game to me when I first played it.

Guess I'll finally have a reason to use a texture pack...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13054 on: October 14, 2011, 11:42:53 am »

So... Apparently notch is making the sun and moon round instead of square in the next version? I'm actually surprisingly disappointed about this. The square sun was a major part of the Cubivore aesthetic that endeared the game to me when I first played it.

Guess I'll finally have a reason to use a texture pack...

I was concerned too, but the round moon is actually quite tasteful, plus, moonphases!

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #13055 on: October 14, 2011, 11:44:42 am »

Turn off peaceful mode.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13056 on: October 14, 2011, 11:51:45 am »

They're still heavily pixelated though.  Just like the eggs, pearls, eyes, strings, orbs, buckets, picks, tiny mushrooms and all the other curvy things.  Not to mention the hills and valleys that make up the world.   If mountains made of blocks are curvy, it makes sense that heavenly bodies made of blocks would have curves as well.

Ninja edit: I wasn't on peaceful, apparently I somehow managed to set my hunger to infinite with singleplayer commands.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:53:49 am by Rhodan »

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #13057 on: October 14, 2011, 11:55:13 am »

Use a diamond pipe and place one item in each output you want them to use. It will distribute them evenly that way, I believe.
I don't see why a diamond pipe filter that's not filtering would distribute any better than a normal pipe.

My understanding is that, unless a pipe has special rules, items will choose an exit at random, with the restriction that they won't go back out the direction they entered.  Wood, iron, and diamond all have special rules.  For diamond pipes, if an item is in the filters at all, the direction is again chosen randomly among each direction that has a matching filter.  And this can be biased by putting multiple copies of the item type into a filter.  That's all out of the documentation.

If you truly need guaranteed equal distribution, I would suggest combining a wood pipe, an iron pipe, and some sort of redstone or redpower clock that regularly switches the iron pipe between two directions at the same time that it triggers the wooden pipe to fetch an item.  Iron pipes have only one output, but that output can be changed by a redstone signal.  And iron pipes won't route items into wooden pipes, so there will only be two valid routes, that will be toggled by the redstone signal.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13058 on: October 14, 2011, 11:57:13 am »

I don't see why a diamond pipe filter that's not filtering would distribute any better than a normal pipe.

My understanding is that, unless a pipe has special rules, items will choose an exit at random, with the restriction that they won't go back out the direction they entered.  Wood, iron, and diamond all have special rules.  For diamond pipes, if an item is in the filters at all, the direction is again chosen randomly among each direction that has a matching filter.  And this can be biased by putting multiple copies of the item type into a filter.  That's all out of the documentation.

If you truly need guaranteed equal distribution, I would suggest combining a wood pipe, an iron pipe, and some sort of redstone or redpower clock that regularly switches the iron pipe between two directions at the same time that it triggers the wooden pipe to fetch an item.  Iron pipes have only one output, but that output can be changed by a redstone signal.  And iron pipes won't route items into wooden pipes, so there will only be two valid routes, that will be toggled by the redstone signal.
I said to place a diamond pipe there and put one item into each output color. Then technically it IS filtering. It sees, for example, one glowstone on red, blue and black. It sends glowstone to those outputs evenly. If you put 2 glowstone on red and then 1 black and 1 blue, it would send 50% of the glowstone to red and 25% to black and blue respectively.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13059 on: October 14, 2011, 11:58:45 am »

Ah... Ah.... AH YES!!!!
I have done it...
BUILD CRAFT + INDUSTRIAL CRAFT2 + RUNECRAFTORY!!!!
All together on 1.8.1 !!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #13060 on: October 14, 2011, 12:04:38 pm »

I said to place a diamond pipe there and put one item into each output color. Then technically it IS filtering. It sees, for example, one glowstone on red, blue and black. It sends glowstone to those outputs evenly. If you put 2 glowstone on red and then 1 black and 1 blue, it would send 50% of the glowstone to red and 25% to black and blue respectively.

It's random.  Random.  It will average even over time, unless you bias it (as we both mentioned).  But it doesn't remember where it sent the last item.  So it is not guaranteed to split evenly.  And is therefore no better than a dirt-cheap cobblestone pipe.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #13061 on: October 14, 2011, 12:11:52 pm »

Well, there's an easy way to expand your storage, but I don't think that's what you're trying to do...

I've just been following this guide, but with the glowstone and refilling pipes on opposite sides. Hope it helps: http://equivalentexchange.wikispaces.com/Glowstone+Factory+Tutorial

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13062 on: October 14, 2011, 12:15:51 pm »

It's random.  Random.  It will average even over time, unless you bias it (as we both mentioned).  But it doesn't remember where it sent the last item.  So it is not guaranteed to split evenly.  And is therefore no better than a dirt-cheap cobblestone pipe.

Yup, what 0x517A5D said.  I tested it just now and cobblestone pipes work just as well as a diamond one.  I'd love a simple alternating pipe, though with the redstone engines it seems tricky to set something like that up with basic circuitry.  I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on things and redistribute the glowstone dust myself from time to time.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13063 on: October 14, 2011, 12:32:16 pm »

Okay, calm down. I did indicate that I wasn't sure, but I thought that if it was actively filtering then it would distribute it evenly and intelligently. Good to know.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #13064 on: October 14, 2011, 01:20:56 pm »

Okay, calm down. I did indicate that I wasn't sure, but I thought that if it was actively filtering then it would distribute it evenly and intelligently. Good to know.

well i hope we all remember from computer science class that computers cannot truly generate random numbers, but they can simulate it so it appears random to us. It an item can go one of only two directions down a pipe, it will pick at "random" each time (durrr, i know right?) with no regard to what has come before (again, random). In the short term, even over a real day it can certainly develop a lopsided distribution. Go ahead and flip a coin for 1 hour and see what happens. Since the coin has no memory, any lopsided distribution of head or tails may or may in fact be exaggerated in the long run.

The more times you flip, the GREATER the difference, but at the same time, the more you flip the closer the PERCENTAGE will be to 50-50!

Example:
I flip a coin 100 times. Tails come up 60 and heads come up 40. The difference is 20 and the percentage is 60-40.

Now I flip it 1,000 times. NOW the difference might easily be off by more than 20... say it's 550-450. The difference in flips is 100 but NOW the percentage is closer... 55-45!

Again, the more times you flip, the percentage will always get closer and closer to 50-50, but the difference will also be off by a greater amount!

random does NOT mean it will average over time. Sorry.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:23:31 pm by ductape »
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1380