Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419146 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #11085 on: August 17, 2011, 02:39:30 pm »

Of course, for this to have any legal standing, the two parties would need to draw up a contract anyway. The results of the battle would have no legal weight on its own, the two parties would have to enter a contract to agree that the results of the battle settle the issue. Guess which side has the better lawyers to write up/interpret the contract?
More importantly, no self-respecting lawyer would ever agree to this. Not that Bethesda's would agree to the terms at all, since they're probably after money or a chance to show of how lawyery they are moreso than they care about the name.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11086 on: August 17, 2011, 02:50:51 pm »

Yeah. Well played Notch. Bethesda will be lucky to come out of this well.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11087 on: August 17, 2011, 03:05:37 pm »

Of course, for this to have any legal standing, the two parties would need to draw up a contract anyway. The results of the battle would have no legal weight on its own, the two parties would have to enter a contract to agree that the results of the battle settle the issue. Guess which side has the better lawyers to write up/interpret the contract?
More importantly, no self-respecting lawyer would ever agree to this. Not that Bethesda's would agree to the terms at all, since they're probably after money or a chance to show of how lawyery they are moreso than they care about the name.

Cause lawyers camn't bunny-hop.
Thank you based dwarf.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11088 on: August 17, 2011, 03:24:50 pm »

It comes down to this: if they refuse, they get bad press. If they accept, they get good press.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11089 on: August 17, 2011, 03:39:49 pm »

The man just got married and he's facing a ridiculous, bullshit lawsuit with a videogame challenge.

Fuck yeah, I like this guy!

Ah, and sorry if everyone thinks the man can't have a life outside of Minecraft. Dude's got a new wife, and a life, and he's still dedicated to churning out the soon-to-be awesome update, no need for everyone to be up his ass. His life does not revolve around us or Minecraft, as much as he may love his game, the man's entitled to some personal time.

:)

Yes respect a guy for risking his financial security with his family and company by dicking around with a lawsuit with one of the larger game companies and publishers in the U.S. Because that's a smart move for everyone around him, yah know, risk it all to play a few games with them and act like an idiot instead of makeing an actual attempt to settle things reasonably.

Also notch is wasting his time proposing childish and stupid solutions they probably won't acecpt, it will cost him.
FYI usualy the one that loses the lawsuit usualy pays court and legal fees, and I don't see notch winning considering he's not taking it seriously enough, his only hope would be a counter-suit if he could even find grounds for one. I think he better get more serious about it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:46:11 pm by Saint »
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11090 on: August 17, 2011, 03:42:32 pm »

There really isn't that much risk. The downside for losing is changing the name. And the lawsuit was already regarded as a serious joke.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11091 on: August 17, 2011, 03:43:07 pm »

The man just got married and he's facing a ridiculous, bullshit lawsuit with a videogame challenge.

Fuck yeah, I like this guy!

Ah, and sorry if everyone thinks the man can't have a life outside of Minecraft. Dude's got a new wife, and a life, and he's still dedicated to churning out the soon-to-be awesome update, no need for everyone to be up his ass. His life does not revolve around us or Minecraft, as much as he may love his game, the man's entitled to some personal time.

:)

Yes respect a guy for risking his financial security with his family and company by dicking around with a lawsuit with one of the larger game companies and publishers in the U.S. Because that's a smart move for everyone around him, yah know, risk it all to play a few games with them and act like an idiot instead of makeing an actual attempt to settle things reasonably.

Erm, I'm pretty sure bethesda aren't going to sue him for a lot of money, mainly since this game you know, doesn't exist and isn't released yet. I think they'll just make notch change the name and dismiss his copyright claim on the word. That's basically worst case scenario. Saying "WE WANT MONEY, HE WAS GOING TO USE OUR NAME" is like saying "I WANT COMPENSATION HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO ROB MY HOUSE!"
Blargh.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11092 on: August 17, 2011, 04:21:24 pm »

Also notch is wasting his time proposing childish and stupid solutions they probably won't acecpt, it will cost him.
FYI usualy the one that loses the lawsuit usualy pays court and legal fees, and I don't see notch winning considering he's not taking it seriously enough, his only hope would be a counter-suit if he could even find grounds for one. I think he better get more serious about it.
You're taking this all far too seriously.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11093 on: August 17, 2011, 04:23:27 pm »

I think Taz hit it on the head. Bethesda doesn't have a huge chance to win anything significant in court, and they already look like bullying assholes. Notch is giving them an opportunity to turn a PR shitstorm into pretty much the best publicity any game company could ever get. For free.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11094 on: August 17, 2011, 04:26:45 pm »

As an added bonus, now half the community is wondering what this scrolls game will be and yay free advertisement.

Advertisement by high-profile lawsuit seems to work well.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11095 on: August 17, 2011, 04:28:31 pm »

It's all a conspiracy.
Notch payed Beth or Zenimax or whoever's suing him to do this.
*Hugs*

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11096 on: August 17, 2011, 04:36:10 pm »

Notch might have a tough time winning in court - logic or no, money seems to be a pretty strong indicator of who will win a lawsuit, and Notch just can't outspend Bethesda. So, he's moving the fight to an arena he can win in: Public support. Minecraft is launching (officially!) soon, and Scrolls could use some hype; this is a great way to draw attention. Zenimax, meanwhile, is preparing to launch TES:V, and simply cannot afford negative publicity.

If Bethesda accepts this offer (which they won't), then they're admitting the lawsuit was a joke; they'd get some positive publicity, but nobody would be likely to take a lawsuit from them seriously in the future. If they ignore the offer (which they will), then Notch gets a huge publicity boost from making such a wild suggestion, and Bethesda look like humourless assholes while trying to advertise their next big game. I think Notch played this pretty darn well.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:39:34 pm by Thexor »

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11097 on: August 17, 2011, 06:11:19 pm »

Oh I'm sorry I thought about the costs of the legal side of it that Notch can endure from this and the fact that it could actually affect his life. Oh wait, he has a few million dollars saved in vacation funds, I hope he goes broke and loses all his money, then he can actually develope a game instead of a cash cow.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11098 on: August 17, 2011, 06:14:44 pm »

Oh I'm sorry I thought about the costs of the legal side of it that Notch can endure from this and the fact that it could actually affect his life. Oh wait, he has a few million dollars saved in vacation funds, I hope he goes broke and loses all his money, then he can actually develope a game instead of a cash cow.

I do wonder why you have this much beef with him.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11099 on: August 17, 2011, 06:17:55 pm »

Really, what is your problem? I don't particularly like Notch or even think (vanilla) Minecraft is a very good game but you seem to be abnormally RAEGing because of a situation that doesn't affect you in the slightest. You don't like his response to the lawsuit, which is fine, but why would you hope he goes broke? This is just pointless hatred.
Pages: 1 ... 738 739 [740] 741 742 ... 1380