Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419807 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10680 on: July 22, 2011, 09:50:08 pm »

He blogged an email with all the necessary code changes to increase the height....

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10681 on: July 22, 2011, 09:50:53 pm »

He blogged an email with all the necessary code changes to increase the height....
Then there we go, all I wanted was the source for the info
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10682 on: July 23, 2011, 04:04:26 am »

If you're reading this, you should be off playing the Aether mod instead.

It adds the opposite of the Nether realm. This means that instead of caves filled with lava, you get floating islands filled with trees. And instead of 3 new blocks and a pile of boredom, you get oodles of new blocks, new tools, new enemies, new mechanics, new equipment slots and new dungeons to explore.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10683 on: July 23, 2011, 09:14:36 am »

But it seems silly to advertise it/for it to advertise itself as simply "the opposite of the Nether" when it is way, way more than that.

But... That's exactly what I was trying to say. :(  The Nether barely added anything to the game, while the Aether does the opposite. It adds a lot.

Kinda sucks when you enter the Aether and end up on a floating portal literally hundreds of metres away from any semi-solid block, though.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10684 on: July 23, 2011, 01:33:52 pm »

I don't support the Aether mod because it does the modding sin of adding a bunch of items and materials for no damn reason. Better Then Wlves mod actually has some point to each thing it releases, even the stilly things because their point is to be silly. Don't make new trees then new tools that are basically the same as normal tools only made with materials there. Fuck new torches what the hell? It's just normal torches made with materials up there.

It just strikes me as off-putting with that style. I guess I prefer mods to work as seamlessly with vanilla content as possible and enhance the experience.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10685 on: July 23, 2011, 06:34:15 pm »

I don't support the Aether mod because it does the modding sin of adding a bunch of items and materials for no damn reason. Better Then Wlves mod actually has some point to each thing it releases, even the stilly things because their point is to be silly. Don't make new trees then new tools that are basically the same as normal tools only made with materials there. Fuck new torches what the hell? It's just normal torches made with materials up there.

It just strikes me as off-putting with that style. I guess I prefer mods to work as seamlessly with vanilla content as possible and enhance the experience.

just reading the mod's page, it seems as if the creator wanted to make is own version of Minecraft. It's not a place you go in and out of, it's one you go "Oh, I'm sick of normal Minecraft, I want to adventure!" and you go raid a dungeon, hunt a Moa and in general start all over again.

Better than Wolves seeks to make additions to Minecraft that Notch could have, making vanilla Minecraft purely better. It's just the two mods have different aims, and should be thought of in different lights in my opinion
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10686 on: July 23, 2011, 07:25:12 pm »

What do you mean, 'no damn reason'? The very purpose of the mod is adding the Aether dimension, so adding new items and materials seems like a very reasonable idea.  None of the tools are the same as the vanilla tools either, not sure where you got that from.
As for the torches, this was probably done to gently force the player to go around digging again in the new world, instead of relying on resources brought from the world below.

This mod resembles an expansion pack sorta like the ones you get for RPG games.  New items, new characters and new story all contained in the same new location.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10687 on: July 23, 2011, 07:46:49 pm »

IN OTHER NEWS:

N@W is hosting a stress test. No whitelist, anyone cna log in and dick around on the N@W1 map.

6 PM PST-9 PM PST, July 23 2011. play.nationsatwar.org

And it starts in <15 minutes.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10688 on: July 23, 2011, 11:01:01 pm »

The server id is now 216.172.97.29.

Everyone who is not on right now should join up right quick.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: July 24, 2011, 12:16:51 am »

The server id is now 216.172.97.29.

Everyone who is not on right now should join up right quick.
This!
Thank you based dwarf.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10690 on: July 24, 2011, 01:21:59 pm »

What do you mean, 'no damn reason'? The very purpose of the mod is adding the Aether dimension, so adding new items and materials seems like a very reasonable idea.  None of the tools are the same as the vanilla tools either, not sure where you got that from.
As for the torches, this was probably done to gently force the player to go around digging again in the new world, instead of relying on resources brought from the world below.

This mod resembles an expansion pack sorta like the ones you get for RPG games.  New items, new characters and new story all contained in the same new location.

I think I see what Duke means. Nothing in the Aether mod is generic. We have three trees on the normal MC world, and they all make the same planks, which all have the same uses. Not a single tree in the Aether mod has any sort of overlap. Just sort of seems like the Aether mod doesn't have a reason for why stuff is unique, everything is magic and fantastic because it is magic and fantastic.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10691 on: July 24, 2011, 01:36:59 pm »

I just want infinite height, mount evercraft would be nice, he could add a space limit where you needed life support to breathe, and near impossible to survive liquid depths.. but hell, also real oceans, i am pretty fucking tired of that mess we got today.. look at a map, its just random pixels everywhere, nothing looking like actual landmasses, looks like some product of an tripping artist, not a world..
I know its hard to do it without making landscape boring like hell..
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10692 on: July 24, 2011, 02:08:07 pm »

Yeah, more coherent oceans would go a long way towards making better looking landmasses. It would be nice to be in the middle of an ocean and unable to see land in any direction. You can't really get that right now.
The current archipelago stuff is nice but should be nowhere near as common as it is now.

Deeper oceans would be great if we got some ocean content.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10693 on: July 24, 2011, 02:08:41 pm »

I just want infinite height, mount evercraft would be nice, he could add a space limit where you needed life support to breathe, and near impossible to survive liquid depths.. but hell, also real oceans, i am pretty fucking tired of that mess we got today.. look at a map, its just random pixels everywhere, nothing looking like actual landmasses, looks like some product of an tripping artist, not a world..
I know its hard to do it without making landscape boring like hell..
The vanilla landmasses could use some work, yes, and vertical chunks are definitely possible, but I can't say I agree about "random pixels everywhere".
Jaycraft is bisected by a massive channel.
(We're using a terrain mod, it's definitely possible to get the kind of oceans you want with, but they're annoying as hell to actually play -- probably the reason they don't already exist)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #10694 on: July 24, 2011, 02:24:47 pm »

I don't know if anyones posted this here, but some people are recreating Middle Earth... Not parts of it, All of it.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QhksNvUwaRc I recomend watching all of it but if you just want to skip to where it gets jaw dropping then go to around the 27 min mark.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:48:16 pm by Zona »
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 711 712 [713] 714 715 ... 1380