Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420329 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10545 on: July 06, 2011, 04:00:58 am »

Settlements have some value, given that the squad is big enough, and that there are atleast 2-3 enforcers online all the time, patrolling and not just being stupid and killing stuff, they provide protection, and is a interesting social experience, they give some more depth to the game than just dealing with retarded admins and people whining about greifing and hiding in a 1x2x1 thing. Think an anarchy server insaion by really organised people.

Having a somewhat 24/7 team patrolling would allow us to enforce the rules.
This raises further questions. Where are you going to find enough people who think patrolling a wall is fun to make a 24/7 guard patrol out of it?

Some plugins could be made, so when you die, you spawn somewhere out in the wild, long away from were you died, i would rather stay in a prison than being lost in the open anarchy world, because then IM SCREWED.
Only with a lot more mods. In vanilla, you can just book it until sunup and probably stay alive, to say nothing of what happens if you die during the day. Losing your items is the only real issue here, and it wouldn't be a factor the second time through. It'd also be a lot less of an issue on a server where you're not allowed to own a lot of things in the first place.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10546 on: July 06, 2011, 04:40:15 am »

To be honest your idea sounds boring and heavy handed with the rules.

1. oops you just died going to deposit you daily taxes and have to leave for real world reason, to bad for you
2. Oh your the person from number 1? sorry we can't bend the rules for you
3. How much is "to much" so that you can ignore this rule?
4. Once again how much is "to much" so the enforcer can fight back
5. what counts as vandalism?
6. So if you don't happen to give away hard earned supplies you want to use for something else you get to be a second class citizen?
7. So you can't even have a crafting table unless you are a crafter even though EVERYTHING but the basics needs it?
8. *insert political comment about sharing the wealth*
9. a redundant rule as you already said it was limited to professions
10. Hard numbers are hard
11. You already said in numbers 1, 6, and 8 that no they did not really own the products of their hard work
12. How can you enforce rules like what they can have if you enforce rules about privacy?

Your rules are self contradicting and to severe for a good community. You also have a number of things that are not at all controllable nor enforceable. Also if it is illegal to have swords then the only people who will have them are the ones already planning to break the law. In other words if someone has armor and weapons then proceeds to cut a bloody swath through your populace you are depending on a numbered few who have such items to stop them. Your idea will not work and the server if you ever manage to get around all the troubles of even setting it up will shortly after opening be a ghost town populated by a limited few who manage to get privileges that match their ambitions.
   You would need 24/7 coverage with at least two people on at ALL times to stop anything from happening like you seem to want. Otherwise someone will learn when no ones on or a group of people will cause trouble in multiple areas.
   As for spawning in the wilderness? Just by looking at the sky you can easily tell the cardinal directions and f3 will give you your coords. Being somewhere no one else is just means they can punch some trees and then proceed up the tech tree till they outfit them selves however they want then harass the town at their own leisure. Whats so bad about the middle of nowhere anyway? Its exactly where you start every new map at!

To wrap up I see nothing you are offering a server with a good community does not already offer only without all of your arbitrary restrictions. Your promises are hollow and unkeepable, and your restrictions are to strict and impossible to follow. There are contradictions and fairy tail logic all through out your idea. In the very least I can tell you this, to keep the first 11 in some form you would need to get rid of number 12. Privacy and safety are mutually exclusive in this context. I am sorry if you have put a lot of thought into this idea because as is it is not workable.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: July 06, 2011, 06:22:09 am »

To be honest your idea sounds boring and heavy handed with the rules.

1. oops you just died going to deposit you daily taxes and have to leave for real world reason, to bad for you
2. Oh your the person from number 1? sorry we can't bend the rules for you
3. How much is "to much" so that you can ignore this rule?
4. Once again how much is "to much" so the enforcer can fight back
5. what counts as vandalism?
6. So if you don't happen to give away hard earned supplies you want to use for something else you get to be a second class citizen?
7. So you can't even have a crafting table unless you are a crafter even though EVERYTHING but the basics needs it?
8. *insert political comment about sharing the wealth*
9. a redundant rule as you already said it was limited to professions
10. Hard numbers are hard
11. You already said in numbers 1, 6, and 8 that no they did not really own the products of their hard work
12. How can you enforce rules like what they can have if you enforce rules about privacy?

Your rules are self contradicting and to severe for a good community. You also have a number of things that are not at all controllable nor enforceable. Also if it is illegal to have swords then the only people who will have them are the ones already planning to break the law. In other words if someone has armor and weapons then proceeds to cut a bloody swath through your populace you are depending on a numbered few who have such items to stop them. Your idea will not work and the server if you ever manage to get around all the troubles of even setting it up will shortly after opening be a ghost town populated by a limited few who manage to get privileges that match their ambitions.
   You would need 24/7 coverage with at least two people on at ALL times to stop anything from happening like you seem to want. Otherwise someone will learn when no ones on or a group of people will cause trouble in multiple areas.
   As for spawning in the wilderness? Just by looking at the sky you can easily tell the cardinal directions and f3 will give you your coords. Being somewhere no one else is just means they can punch some trees and then proceed up the tech tree till they outfit them selves however they want then harass the town at their own leisure. Whats so bad about the middle of nowhere anyway? Its exactly where you start every new map at!

To wrap up I see nothing you are offering a server with a good community does not already offer only without all of your arbitrary restrictions. Your promises are hollow and unkeepable, and your restrictions are to strict and impossible to follow. There are contradictions and fairy tail logic all through out your idea. In the very least I can tell you this, to keep the first 11 in some form you would need to get rid of number 12. Privacy and safety are mutually exclusive in this context. I am sorry if you have put a lot of thought into this idea because as is it is not workable.

Holy shit, have you ever heard of roleplays like Paranoia? The rules were TAILORED to be self-contradicting and stupid, to cause !!FUN!! Its not my politcal opinions or anything.
The fun thing would be BREAKING and AVOIDING theese rules. Also the guards would work on shifts, no one, not even the most lifeless i-can-play-computer-but-not-whipe-my-ass kind of gamer would spend all their time running around in a city.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: July 06, 2011, 04:05:47 pm »

Settlements have some value, given that the squad is big enough, and that there are atleast 2-3 enforcers online all the time, patrolling and not just being stupid and killing stuff, they provide protection, and is a interesting social experience, they give some more depth to the game than just dealing with retarded admins and people whining about greifing and hiding in a 1x2x1 thing. Think an anarchy server insaion by really organised people.

I liek almost all of it except these two:
7. A citizen can posess basic tools like shovels, hoes and pickaxes, however they must not posess weapons of any kind, swords, bows axes. And must not posess potentially dangerous tools such as buckets and fire kits. A persons habitat may feature storage faccilities, non-flammable lightning and stoves, crafting benches are restricted to crafters due to the potentially dangerous items you can procure with such faccility. Breaking this law is subject to fines, and in serious cases, imprisonment.
8. The communal share is for purposes of helping the new comer, the poor, the unestablished and for maintainence and security, treasury and fine crafts are the mayor's possesion and may be used in trades with privates and other settlements. Greed is subject to banishment.
that may limit players too much not being able to have a sword so they can't gain money by killing mobs etc.

They can invest in privileges for the swords, allowing people to possess weapons is ENCOURAGING murder.
Are you going to take away their hands so they can't kill someone?  Sounds like you have some disturbing viewpoint of personified weapons as manipulative beings hellbent on creating havoc.

Having a weapon DOES NOT ENCOURAGE murder.  Period.  The person playing does.  If they want to commit murder, they'll do it.  With their hands, by piling sand on top of you while trapped in a hole... there's more than one way to kill someone in minecraft and taking away weapons will not fix that.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10549 on: July 06, 2011, 04:41:35 pm »

This is where I generally lock threads, because it's degenerated to two delusional agitators who seem to think that some computer game is a perfect model of the real world.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: July 06, 2011, 04:52:25 pm »

This is where I generally feel glad we do not have mods other than toady here.

Honestly, if you don't like it, don't read it. These things blow off fast enough.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10551 on: July 06, 2011, 05:46:17 pm »

Holy shit, have you ever heard of roleplays like Paranoia? The rules were TAILORED to be self-contradicting and stupid, to cause !!FUN!! Its not my politcal opinions or anything.
The fun thing would be BREAKING and AVOIDING theese rules. Also the guards would work on shifts, no one, not even the most lifeless i-can-play-computer-but-not-whipe-my-ass kind of gamer would spend all their time running around in a city.
You might have wanted to mention this point earlier. It occurred to me, but no part of it seemed tailored to really make that aspect fun or interesting, so I assumed it wasn't the case.

Like, owning weapons. How exactly does getting and keeping weapons without the guards knowing about it translate into a fun mini-game for everyone involved? How do the penalties translate into an incentive to not get caught without being unfun or disruptive to the game for one or more people? How do you find the middle ground between the complete untraceability of vanilla Minecraft and the godlike omniscience of certain plugins that allows this sort of cat and mouse stuff to actually happen?

You can't just throw this shit together, man. Fun games are hard to make.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10552 on: July 06, 2011, 06:08:09 pm »

I am sorry if that was your goal. You gave the
rules without a hint that this was what you are
going for. Just a tip, even Paranoia comes right
out and tells you exactly what it is.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: July 06, 2011, 07:26:57 pm »

The fun thing would be BREAKING and AVOIDING theese rules.

For serious?  You're proposing rules for the express purpose of having those rules broken?  As part of the game?

How can a player tell the difference between a "just don't get caught" rule e.g. taking stuff from the communal share if you're not poor, and a "hard and fast" rule e.g. no hacking?

I was going ask your thoughts on the difference between top-down, imposed by authority rules and bottom-up, chosen by the players themselves rules, but never mind.

I'll just say that I would not play on a server with this weird stuff.  If I feel like playing a the-rules-are-the-game game, I'll play Nomic.  If I'm playing Minecraft, I want to Mine and Craft, not patrol a wall 24/7 or enforce rules or have rules enforced against me or try to resolve disputes or pay taxes or whatever.  I can not see that being fun.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10554 on: July 06, 2011, 08:04:27 pm »

Ok now that we have settled that those rules are for people who are into a certain type of RP, lets get back to normal stuff.

I have the feeling that tools are breaking more quickly (especially the sword), that bodies of water are much deeper, and that the water coding is even more messed up now.

Can anyone confirm these?

Also, saw shears item....... Seems pointless to have unless you can keep animals around. Can you now?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10555 on: July 06, 2011, 08:08:07 pm »

They removed the ability to punch wool off of sheep
so the shears are the only way to get wool. The shears
also apparently let you get leaf blocks though the leaf
blocks seem to still need to be near log blocks.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: July 06, 2011, 08:09:39 pm »

I got wool from killing sheep though.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10557 on: July 06, 2011, 08:11:14 pm »

I am only parroting whats on the change list and some
stuff I picked up elsewhere. I have been until recently
woefully behind the times because of N@W not being
updated to 1.7 till just recently.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: July 06, 2011, 08:20:57 pm »

You get much less wool by killing the sheep though.
*Hugs*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: July 06, 2011, 08:24:15 pm »

Minecraft: Punishing animal abuse since 2011
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1380