Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420434 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10500 on: July 02, 2011, 11:33:30 pm »

And Kiershar has some piston-y videos. Three involve a block duplication glitch (automatic infinite cannon, mob farming with TNT, glitch how-to) but one involves a trap with 6 sticky pistons.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10501 on: July 03, 2011, 09:31:17 am »

Through the powers of CHARISMA (possibly?) I have stolen my way into the R@W closed Beta! Muahaha!

Going to check things out tonight, and I shall try to get my bearings in game. I shall return with reports!

P.S. Sonerohi, that is a simple and elegant tunnel defense. I like it! Perhaps we can adapt this to power a feeding mechanism?, or situate the boom-tunnel over a deadly pitfall? Maybe stagger Tnt, with an initial charge, followed by 3 charges armed half a second later and dropped down the same shaft from above, to create a scatter-bomb?
Spoiler: Piston Conveyor Belt (click to show/hide)

Through redstone awesomeness, I have implemened exactly this design.

(clickable youtube image!)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10502 on: July 03, 2011, 09:38:04 am »

So... What happens to players, mobs, items and other entities that hop onto the conveyor?

An escalator would be rather nice, although the design I had in mind depends on the pistons being able to push a player by the head. Not to mention the redstone circuitry involved.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10503 on: July 03, 2011, 01:29:29 pm »

Nifty! Now if only pistons didn't make such loud noises.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10504 on: July 03, 2011, 01:55:17 pm »

But it doesn't really work for anything but sand or gravel, does it? :(

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10505 on: July 03, 2011, 01:57:59 pm »

It works on anything that isn't obsi, bedrock, or a chest afaik.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10506 on: July 03, 2011, 01:58:35 pm »

Or furnaces. I think workbenches might work, but I don't know.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10507 on: July 03, 2011, 02:01:12 pm »

But then wouldn't it be no different from 1 piston pushing a row of cobblestone?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10508 on: July 03, 2011, 02:44:04 pm »

But then wouldn't it be no different from 1 piston pushing a row of cobblestone?

One piston has a limit to the number of blocks it can push (8, I think), this can theoretically* be extended infinitely.

*problems will no doubt arise with timing over long distances
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10509 on: July 03, 2011, 02:59:11 pm »

One piston has a limit to the number of blocks it can push (8, I think), this can theoretically* be extended infinitely.

Nope, once the wall it creates becomes 12 blocks long it would just stop pushing the blocks as well
*Hugs*

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10510 on: July 03, 2011, 03:48:02 pm »

Nope, once the wall it creates becomes 12 blocks long it would just stop pushing the blocks as well

You could add another piston on the end that pushes them out of the way.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10511 on: July 03, 2011, 04:05:01 pm »

Yeah, this thing can go on infinitely. If you added another piston that took blocks out then put them back in, I believe it would be Turing-Complete.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10512 on: July 03, 2011, 05:11:30 pm »

You could add another piston on the end that pushes them out of the way.

actually what i meant was that you can extend the conveyor itself: just keep adding more pistons to either end and wire them up.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10513 on: July 03, 2011, 05:13:47 pm »

I was responding to MoM's post, actually. Yours is 100% truish.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10514 on: July 03, 2011, 07:55:06 pm »

If you added another piston that took blocks out then put them back in, I believe it would be Turing-Complete.
Er, no.
In computability theory, a system of data-manipulation rules (such as an instruction set, a programming language, or a cellular automaton) is said to be Turing complete or computationally universal if and only if it can be used to simulate any single-taped Turing machine and thus in principle any computer.
Unless it can be used to emulate any computer, it is not turing complete. Dwarf fortress, for example, is Turing complete, as it has been shown a Turing complete computer can be simulated within it (via the 8-bit computer which was made). Minecraft is probably Turing complete, although I can't recall seeing an actual emulation of a Turing complete computer with minecraft logic; although I'm almost certain it can be done. A row of blocks moving in a circle with no data processing ability is not Turing complete, as it can not be shown capable of emulating a Turing complete computer.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:58:43 pm by alway »
Pages: 1 ... 699 700 [701] 702 703 ... 1380