Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420720 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10395 on: June 27, 2011, 01:00:52 pm »

If only Notch would allow the game to load terrain/item sprites from places other than their corresponding single sprite sheets.
Those 256-sprite limits are far, far too... limiting.

A modder has already started working on fixing it, of course, but it's tough going with the heavily obfuscated code.
When the hell is Notch going to open up that danged source?  :S
Also, why does he keep calling it an API?  Giving people access to the source is not an API in the slightest :|
Or did he change his mind about that again?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10396 on: June 27, 2011, 02:56:00 pm »

If only Notch would allow the game to load terrain/item sprites from places other than their corresponding single sprite sheets.

A modder has already started working on fixing it, of course, but it's tough going with the heavily obfuscated code.
Also, why does he keep calling it an API?  Giving people access to the source is not an API in the slightest :|
Last I read, modders would be given NDA signed rights to the source code to make mods instead of having an API.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10397 on: June 27, 2011, 03:15:32 pm »

Last I read, modders would be given NDA signed rights to the source code to make mods instead of having an API.
This is incrediblly silly.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10398 on: June 27, 2011, 03:55:37 pm »

It's Notch, man. Less work for him (so he can work in more steak breakfasts and useless mechanics) is the way he's always going to go.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10399 on: June 27, 2011, 04:08:48 pm »

In his defense, steak breakfasts are delicious.

I'm not a developer, I've no real knowledge of what it takes to make a game and make it well, so I can't really say if he's doing well or not. But I am enjoying it, so he's not doing too bad.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10400 on: June 27, 2011, 04:38:02 pm »

Isn't Notch technically also working on Scrolls?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10401 on: June 27, 2011, 04:41:07 pm »

Isn't Notch technically also working on Scrolls?
I dunno, I think its mainly in the idea stage right now. Am I the only person who doesn't want a card based strategy game?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10402 on: June 27, 2011, 05:03:06 pm »

Fundamentally, what would you recommend Notch do? I can hardly imagine an API that could perform half the things modders have managed to implement. We're talking about custom crafting interfaces; specialized block actions each game tick; customized AI interactions. This is doubly difficult because Minecraft wasn't built with modding in mind.

Honestly, the amount of work required to implement a fully-functioning API with even a tiny subset of the potential modders have already managed to achieve would far outweigh the benefits. Releasing the source code (even in a highly-limited fashion) is an efficient means of allowing modders all the same abilities they currently have.

Mind you, backwards compatibility will still be pretty challenging (though, without changing obfuscation on each release, some mods might not need to be updated between versions), but then again an API would require Notch to update and maintain each API call for any changed code. This would add a considerable amount of extra work to every release, whereas releasing the source code places the onus of updating into the hands of modders instead.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10403 on: June 27, 2011, 05:51:55 pm »

That said, even the simplest plugin manager in the launcher would be highly appreciated.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10404 on: June 27, 2011, 05:56:34 pm »

That said, even the simplest plugin manager in the launcher would be highly appreciated.

And/or integrating ModLoader. Lots of mods seem to work just fine from .minecraft/mods/, even a few that don't mention supporting it.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10405 on: June 28, 2011, 09:48:52 am »

And/or integrating ModLoader. Lots of mods seem to work just fine from .minecraft/mods/, even a few that don't mention supporting it.
Unless he does that, he'd better get to changing that "Mods and Texture Packs" button to read only "Texture Packs" pretty quick, as his idea of an API will never let that menu work.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10406 on: June 28, 2011, 10:06:21 am »

I would prefer he added a modloader and the API to make mods to work with that modloader.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10407 on: June 28, 2011, 10:11:25 am »

And I would prefer that he makes the game free and grant world peace through gameplay.

/Smarm-

No, I won't end being smarmy about this.

:\
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10408 on: June 28, 2011, 01:08:10 pm »

That's quite possible actually, with the game being free everyone will be playing it and there will be noone to fight anymore so it would be a win/win situation :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10409 on: June 28, 2011, 05:12:03 pm »

Hmm... from a developer's standpoint, that's about as dangerous a concept as you can propose. Take a perfectly functional game that's sold a whole bunch of units, then make drastic changes. Screw up, and you've pissed off a very large and vocal fanbase. Succeed, and you still won't be selling any extra units to people who already own the game. It's kind of a lose-lose situation.  :-\

Still, the worst that happens from our perspective is we hold on to version 1.7 as the "Holy Grail of Minecraft", and the best that happens is we get an awesome update to an already-awesome game. So I guess I shouldn't complain too loudly.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 692 693 [694] 695 696 ... 1380