Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421292 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10245 on: June 23, 2011, 09:53:45 am »

You mean like a massive piston-powered labyrinth that would change depending on the levers activated?

Impressive.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10246 on: June 23, 2011, 09:58:45 am »

I said nothing about your crazy pistons and levers. Just a block code. If you're going to use pistons at all you might as well cut out the middle man and crush your enemies to death. Or trap them in annoying boxes of obsidian.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10247 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02:19 am »

*rolls a 1 on comprehension*

*at a -5 modifier*

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10248 on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:22 am »

You could even hide the real exit behind a cobblestone wall.

Hmm... maybe also slope the passages so that in an emergency, we could pour magma down channels to bring up the lights in the catacombs, or else use water to flood the whole thing and remove torches.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #10249 on: June 23, 2011, 10:29:23 am »

Or use the magma to burn and drown the incoming enemies.

That piston idea for the maze sounds quite good. Might have to try that.
1=0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10250 on: June 23, 2011, 10:30:29 am »

I'm telling you, just throw random piston traps around the wrong passages that bring down obsidian walls. It'll take them forever to get out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10251 on: June 23, 2011, 10:30:39 am »

But a mob chamber could be used as a mob farm... all you need is a block on the floor and the mobs can't get to you while you stab them with your sword.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10252 on: June 23, 2011, 10:53:59 am »

I downloaded Nations at war's texture pack to try it before deciding to try to apply... It looks great! but very dark... even filling the place with torches, it makes my eyes hurt.

I wonder how easy it is to get an application accepted... I have very little minecraft multiplayer experience.
I would love to play in that world. the biomes and special features look amazing, and the nations will surely make the game very interesting.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10253 on: June 23, 2011, 11:51:44 am »

I'm telling you, just throw random piston traps around the wrong passages that bring down obsidian walls. It'll take them forever to get out.

Everyone's talking about making obsidian walls using pistons, but didn't Mojang's piston demo vid show that they don't move obsidian? Or am I mis-remembering?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #10254 on: June 23, 2011, 11:58:14 am »

If we can get it, soul sand would be very useful, methinks.

And yeah, pistons don't move obsidian.

Obsidian is the obvious choice of building material, particularly for underground stuff. A random 2-3 block thick hollow cube of obsidian, possibly with mob spawners if we can somehow get our hands on one via economy, anyone?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10255 on: June 23, 2011, 12:20:25 pm »

So wait, when's this starting? And do we have any plans on where we're gonna put our mega-fortress?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10256 on: June 23, 2011, 12:22:39 pm »

Submerge it under that sword of course :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10257 on: June 23, 2011, 12:30:08 pm »

I like the idea of putting up an obsidian bunker somewhere so it looks like the only way in is to tunnel through a special thin section of the wall.

And have it be solid obsidian.

Anyway, I say the fortress should be somewhere extremely defensible. Ideally, we'd find a major mountain range and build something with towers sprouting up along the ridgeline, connected by walkways and tunnels. Plus that'd give us tons of vertical underground space to use.

I'd advise against going to the exotic locations, since they would limit our ability to do our own work. For instance, if we went to the Sword, we would have to work the whole time realizing that if we touched it, we would be defacing a natural wonder... and what's more, all our own creations would have to live up to it.

No, I say the mountains, a shangri-la that we will build.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10258 on: June 23, 2011, 12:38:05 pm »

(or you the redstone/obsidian farm that does not require multiple magma sources)

That will definitely get you in trouble.

About the texture packs: There are two. There is the 32x32 version, which is updated for Minecraft 1.6.6. That is the official version. The 16x version has not been updated since N@W1 ended. I am currently working on building an updated 16x pack.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10259 on: June 23, 2011, 12:45:21 pm »

(or you the redstone/obsidian farm that does not require multiple magma sources)

That will definitely get you in trouble.

About the texture packs: There are two. There is the 32x32 version, which is updated for Minecraft 1.6.6. That is the official version. The 16x version has not been updated since N@W1 ended. I am currently working on building an updated 16x pack.
A dozen internets to you. My PC is much too crap for 32x texture packs
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 682 683 [684] 685 686 ... 1380