Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422099 times)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #10080 on: June 16, 2011, 12:36:53 am »

Hey, question for all.

I went to the official MC forums today and found I couldn't log in.  It seems I need to subscribe to some Curse ID thing.

Which seems to have zero benefits to me.  I don't in general care about MP gaming, and specifically don't care at all about MMOs, WoW, SC2, or any of the other headliner games they're touting.

There's also nothing on the forum's front page.

Is there any way around this?

Alternately, are these folks legit/trustworthy?  Or are they spammers or worse?  Scammers?  Password-thieves?

At the least, they look low-budget to me, and I can't see any first-party game companies in their list.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10081 on: June 16, 2011, 12:47:58 am »

Same thing happened to me, and it was mentioned on /r/minecraft. I guess I'm not going on the minecraft forums ever again. Isn't someB12er an op there? What exactly happened?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10082 on: June 16, 2011, 01:04:11 am »

I know who that OP is but I wont say his username untill he is ok with it.
I never go much on the minecraft forums but why would they do that?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #10083 on: June 16, 2011, 01:06:22 am »

Curse is like an MMO game site, it covers MMO games and hosts mods for them. They're trustworthy, I just have no idea why you have to merge your account with a Curse one right now.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10084 on: June 16, 2011, 01:38:32 am »

Because the MCforums are merging their user databases with Curses's user database or something. Look, just don't worry about it. It's all good.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10085 on: June 16, 2011, 03:35:16 am »

If the forums had started out as part of the Curses network, you would have had to do this from the beginning. They moved their forums and now they're centralizing information. It's part of the transition, and not something to moan about.
!!&!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10086 on: June 16, 2011, 04:51:33 am »

Why isn't that something to moan about? Why are they merging with an organization that specializes in MMO addons and news? That is as nonsensical as if Bay12 forums suddenly merged with the Gawker news site for no reason and we all had to register with them. Its annoying and offers no added value to the users.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10087 on: June 16, 2011, 05:42:23 am »

Because they are a small company based in Sweden that don't have the server capacity to deal with the massive interest Minecraft has generated in a short amount of time? Do you think Tarn would be able to maintain these forums if suddenly Dwarf Fortress gained an additional thousand or so players? Ten thousand? How about Minecraft's 2.5 million?
!!&!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10088 on: June 16, 2011, 06:05:03 am »

Because they are a small company based in Sweden that don't have the server capacity to deal with the massive interest Minecraft has generated in a short amount of time? Do you think Tarn would be able to maintain these forums if suddenly Dwarf Fortress gained an additional thousand or so players? Ten thousand? How about Minecraft's 2.5 million?
If Tarn had just sold several million dollars worth of Dwarf Fortress with more sales coming in continually I'm sure he could come up with something better than merging with a shitty MMO news and addons company.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10089 on: June 16, 2011, 07:07:38 am »

I have to agree... That's kind of low to merge your customer data with Curse for not other reason than quantity.

On another note, there's an Infiniminer/Minecraft clone I ran across the other day done in C++ that runs pretty great on my aging Linux Thinkpad (where Minecraft doesn't run so hot...)
Homepage: http://celeron.55.lt/~celeron55/minetest/index.php
Mercurial Repo: https://bitbucket.org/celeron55/minetest

Open source, very early stages though.  So far the recipes are the same as Minecraft but you can hold more of a particular item (> stacks of 64) and there is no limitations on chest placement (because they don't "merge" with their neighbor.)  Also, some things right now are simple sprites (torches, and the one mob I found)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10090 on: June 16, 2011, 07:15:30 am »

I have to agree... That's kind of low to merge your customer data with Curse for not other reason than quantity.

On another note, there's an Infiniminer/Minecraft clone I ran across the other day done in C++ that runs pretty great on my aging Linux Thinkpad (where Minecraft doesn't run so hot...)

Open source, very early stages though.  So far the recipes are the same as Minecraft but you can hold more of a particular item (> stacks of 64) and there is no limitations on chest placement (because they don't "merge" with their neighbor.)  Also, some things right now are simple sprites (torches, and the one mob I found)

Thats actually pretty cool. I think its kind of sad how I get better FPS in that game then I do in Minecraft w/tiny render distance. Notch's code is really bad, methinks.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10091 on: June 16, 2011, 08:00:16 am »

Thats actually pretty cool. I think its kind of sad how I get better FPS in that game then I do in Minecraft w/tiny render distance. Notch's code is really bad, methinks.

I'm not denying that it might be (And if he does release the source code, we'll see soon enough.) However, I think a big part of it is just built in inefficiencies with Java.

Two programs, written competently, that do the same thing, one in C++ and one in Java. The C++ one will always be faster.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10092 on: June 16, 2011, 08:20:54 am »

What, you mean like people on these forums do every time an ascii game Dwarf Fortress clone comes out? /passiveagressivebitchyness

*Hugs*

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10093 on: June 16, 2011, 08:36:31 am »

Huh, neat. I like the attitude this guy is taking with this concept. The cave generation is nice, too. Where this'll go is anyone's guess, but it has promise.

With that in mind, I really, really hope rabid fans don't shoot this guy down.
Browsing around this morning I've found posts where he's looking for ideas for direction (to keep the rabid fanboys at arms length) so while the engine is in early stages there's still room for ideas.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10094 on: June 16, 2011, 08:54:19 am »

Two programs, written competently, that do the same thing, one in C++ and one in Java. The C++ one will always be faster.

...actually its the opposite as a general rule, as java does a lot of optimizations to code.. C++ has the potential to be faster, and usually you can make a specific segment of code run faster in C++ [there are exceptions, java does things like tail end recursion], but the actual performance gain is of course, negligible compared to the algorithm used.  But because java has little optimizations in it that c++ doesn't, ie, it does a bit of optimization to your code without you having to... a lot of java code runs quite a bit faster then C++ code.

I would bet your life on the fact that if notchs code runs slower its because he designed a worse algorithm or just as likely, designed one that takes more into consideration [lighting/monsters, whathave you]..

...Always blame the programmer, never the language. [unless its a scripting language and your doing something ridiculously hardware intensive]

//If your running it in a browser versus not however, thats a whole nother ballgame.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:56:13 am by Rift »
Pages: 1 ... 671 672 [673] 674 675 ... 1380