Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421286 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9870 on: June 06, 2011, 06:13:59 pm »

I can't see minecraft hitting some limit on the xbox hardware anytime soon.

Besides the 600MB+ memory footprint on a 512MB system... considering part of that 512 is shared with the video card?  And that's not counting the virtual memory that it's using right now on my system....
Code: [Select]
PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND           
20   0 1878m 620m  18m S   42 15.9   2:20.67 java

This is after 2 minutes of running.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: June 06, 2011, 06:15:29 pm »

And wouldn't they have to port Minecraft over to C# first? After all, the entire thing's in Java.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: June 06, 2011, 06:17:25 pm »

Wait, what the hell? Why in the freaking hell does the XBOX 360 only have 512MBs of RAM? Is not like RAM is expensive.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: June 06, 2011, 06:18:40 pm »

There is supposedly the capability to run JVM apps on .NET the same way Wine runs DirectX on OpenGL, except it may be a bit faster than relative Wine since Java is open... but I don't know if they are going that way or what they plan on doing.  It doesn't have to be in C# though.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9874 on: June 06, 2011, 06:20:34 pm »

The only real viable way to have a rts in minecraft is to steal Creeps and weirdo's unit system, and make it so you integrate the mining/crafting better, like being able to craft robots and shit.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: June 06, 2011, 07:00:31 pm »

Wait, what the hell? Why in the freaking hell does the XBOX 360 only have 512MBs of RAM? Is not like RAM is expensive.
Game systems tend to look rather pathetic when you compare their specs to most PCs. Their advantage is standardization, making things tend to work more smoothly on them. The point of a game system was NEVER to outperform a normal computer.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: June 06, 2011, 07:08:34 pm »

Game systems tend to look rather pathetic when you compare their specs to most PCs. Their advantage is standardization, making things tend to work more smoothly on them. The point of a game system was NEVER to outperform a normal computer.

Keep in mind that 512MB of DDR2 RAM was ~$70-$100 back in 2005... I don't know how much 512MB of GDDR3 RAM cost though. And the reason they don't add more RAM to newer versions is that if they start making 360 games that use a new standard (say, 1GB or 2GB of RAM) then they won't run on the older 360's, which basically means you're entering another 'generation' of XBox. (And it'll SERIOUSLY piss off a lot of the owners of the older 360 models)

(This post is mainly towards Felius, just quoted dragnar for continuity)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: June 06, 2011, 07:13:42 pm »

Keep in mind that 512MB of DDR2 RAM was ~$70-$100 back in 2005... I don't know how much 512MB of GDDR3 RAM cost though. And the reason they don't add more RAM to newer versions is that if they start making 360 games that use a new standard (say, 1GB or 2GB of RAM) then they won't run on the older 360's, which basically means you're entering another 'generation' of XBox. (And it'll SERIOUSLY piss off a lot of the owners of the older 360 models)

I sometimes forget that current gen consoles are actually pretty old... Still, a whole GB of RAM might not be much more expensive than 512MB, as in a single module, specially considering that they won't be paying retail price for the RAM...
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Thump

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: June 06, 2011, 07:20:32 pm »

I sometimes forget that current gen consoles are actually pretty old... Still, a whole GB of RAM might not be much more expensive than 512MB, as in a single module, specially considering that they won't be paying retail price for the RAM...
When it was released, they were already taking a 'loss' on the hardware of the consoles. They made up the money (initially) in game royalties.

Source - my own memory, a spot of googling came up with this: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140383/microsoft-taking-126-hit-per-xbox-360

So going from 512 to 1024 might have only been... I don't know, let's be conservative and say $15. They sold *ROUGHLY* 5 million units in the first year. That's 75m in extra losses - at a time when they weren't sure whether the 360 would be a success or if the system would ever become profitable on its own (as manufacturing costs came down). So they played it safe, and I think that most game developers do an admirable job with the 512MB limit placed on them.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: June 06, 2011, 08:11:56 pm »

My my, these videos are neat.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #9880 on: June 06, 2011, 08:43:29 pm »

I got nothing

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: June 07, 2011, 01:50:41 am »

Just found an AMAZING mod. The Better Than Wolves mod. Lots of neat doodads. Including a spiffy little companion thingie that will always love you.

For the nonbelievers, TheModSpotlight review.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: June 07, 2011, 08:20:52 am »

Creature dispenser:

:D

Turns items into creatures.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9883 on: June 07, 2011, 09:02:30 am »

My my, these videos are neat.
what the hell are German ads doing in my interweb now >:(

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #9884 on: June 07, 2011, 12:54:46 pm »

So every time I get past the login screen, I suddenly crash. I also get an error message saying that Java has stopped working. Not sure what it is, might just be my computer being old and broken. I'm leaning towards the latter because reinstalling Java didn't help. I've had this game for a year now and the most it's ever done is black screen on me, so I don't know what's going on. Anyone else get this recently?
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1380