Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421211 times)

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9855 on: June 06, 2011, 01:31:17 pm »

In other news, Minecraft is officially announced for Xbox360 Kinect.
Welp, everyone.

We have modding. Im okay with this.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9856 on: June 06, 2011, 01:37:09 pm »

In other news, Minecraft is officially announced for Xbox360 Kinect.
Wait with support for connect, or connect dependent?
Kinect dependent, I would think.
I'll keep it on Linux TYVM.  I won't buy a 360, and I definitely wouldn't buy Kinect for Minecraft.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9857 on: June 06, 2011, 03:22:53 pm »

More than a modding API, I would like to see Notch change Minecraft so that it can propagate changes somehow server-side to client-side. That way, playing a modded server (with GUI and new blocks, for example) won't require patching client-side. Some sort of UO "gump" system for the UIs, pull textures from the web, etc. The mechanics already work (obviously, since the server is doing all the work) you simply can't access them or see them.

That actually could be done.  Since the frontend is the program that tells the main program which server to contact, the frontend could also download packages from the server and install them into the main program before starting it.

Security would be a nightmare.  To the point that I would never go online for fear of having malicious code autoinstalled.

Only if you completely misunderstand my post.

I'm not talking about having code in your computer autoinstalled or your jars automodded. I'm talking about the Client taking its GUI data from whatever server it is connected to (just a dumb dialog, no code at all, simply GUI elements like the graphics, the slots where things go, the progress bar thingies, etc), meaning that UIs are built SERVER-SIDE and displayed on your screen. I'm talking about your client taking PNGs or GIFs or whatever from the server/other HTTP address, then displaying the new blocks even if your jars aren't changed. I'm talking about the client sending human-interface messages to the server, then waiting for the result, even if the client doesn't know what it does.

So, basically, you want OnLive for Minecraft.

Sure, it's obviously possible (see: aforementioned OnLive), but the vast amount of bandwidth consumed would make it prohibitive for clients and downright insane for hosts. Remember: instead of sending a packet containing a few movement commands every tick, you're sending entire images 30-odd times a second. You would need a commercial-tier connection for a server with more than a person or two on it.

So, no, this option is even less likely to be added than automatically downloading and executing possibly malicious code.  :P

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: June 06, 2011, 04:09:32 pm »

Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9859 on: June 06, 2011, 04:19:38 pm »

Because it might end up suffering from consolotis, the biggest disease in gaming today.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9860 on: June 06, 2011, 04:49:54 pm »

I would love to create RTS mod for minecraft, but it looks like it would need to mess with rendering (almost no experience in opengl). Anyone have any ideas/experience/(want to make rts mod)?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9861 on: June 06, 2011, 04:51:26 pm »

Because it might end up suffering from consolotis, the biggest disease in gaming today.

There will be a loading screen every 250 blocks.

Seriously though, consolitis usually happens when the game is dumbed down to fit. I can't see minecraft hitting some limit on the xbox hardware anytime soon. Only downside I can think of is that parallell development paths will cut developer time for new features. And Xbox users. Xbox users are also a downside.

A kinect-enabled minecraft might be the first console exergame that actually gets the geeks into better shape. It should come with replica pickaxe and shovel with IR reflectors.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #9862 on: June 06, 2011, 04:52:45 pm »

Gentlemen, we must find a cure for Consolitis! Lets get the doctors working on this as soon as possible!

But yeah, im extremely dissapointed Minecraft is going to the Xbox.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9863 on: June 06, 2011, 04:54:21 pm »

Kinect you say?

"Okay guys, I'mma gonna mine this obsidian now... *half a minute of swinging your arm around* *huffhuffhuff*, let me take a break..."

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9864 on: June 06, 2011, 04:55:11 pm »

You can't take a break, that resets the block.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #9865 on: June 06, 2011, 04:56:15 pm »

Expect major injuries to people's arms a few weeks after the release of Minecraft on the Xbox. I'd imagine there'd be more videos of people accidently hitting their kids while playing the kinect.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9866 on: June 06, 2011, 04:56:24 pm »

Thatwasthejoke.png

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9867 on: June 06, 2011, 04:56:32 pm »

"Okay guys, I'mma gonna mine this obsidian now... *half a minute of swinging your arm around* *huffhuffhuff*, let me take a break..."

That might actually be good arm exercise, done right.

Anyways, I'm not disappointed; just apprehensive. MC's growing much too fast, and it's almost frightening.

I have rather more than a sneaking suspicion that this is all just a bubble about to pop. Enjoy your moolah while you still can, Notch.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9868 on: June 06, 2011, 05:25:56 pm »

I would love to create RTS mod for minecraft, but it looks like it would need to mess with rendering (almost no experience in opengl). Anyone have any ideas/experience/(want to make rts mod)?

First, make sure you're serious. Total conversion mods aren't exactly an easy undertaking (heck, it might be easier to start from scratch than try to interpret Minecraft's code).

Secondly, I doubt you'd need to mess with rendering too much. The third-person camera should be easy enough to modify - a few changes to the angle and an alteration of the height, and you've got a top-down camera. Optimization might be a bit more challenging (you would have to modify the renderer if, say, you didn't want to redraw the entire world when a top-down view only shows a small portion of it), but any computer that can comfortably run Minecraft now would probably be able to run it with a different camera angle, too.

Third, are you sure you want to build this in the Minecraft engine? A top-down RTS would eliminate almost all the value of vertical space, since you'd be unable to see most of it. An RTS would almost certainly ditch most of the actual content (items, crafting, etc.), the entire GUI, and would require vast amounts of modified code - I'm having a tough time seeing how basing it on Minecraft would be a time-saver. Not to mention that, if built from scratch, and assuming you finish the game someday, you would be freely able to distribute and/or sell the game as you wanted, whereas a Minecraft mod is inherently limited (cannot possibly sell it, cannot play it unless you own Minecraft, and it breaks whenever Minecraft updates).

So, yeah. I'd suggest you learn OpenGL and build your own engine. If you really want to use the MC engine for some reason, rendering is the least of your issues - the real challenge will be reading, interpreting, modifying, and for the most part, discarding everything Minecraft already includes.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: June 06, 2011, 05:34:24 pm »

First, make sure you're serious. Total conversion mods aren't exactly an easy undertaking (heck, it might be easier to start from scratch than try to interpret Minecraft's code).

Secondly, I doubt you'd need to mess with rendering too much. The third-person camera should be easy enough to modify - a few changes to the angle and an alteration of the height, and you've got a top-down camera. Optimization might be a bit more challenging (you would have to modify the renderer if, say, you didn't want to redraw the entire world when a top-down view only shows a small portion of it), but any computer that can comfortably run Minecraft now would probably be able to run it with a different camera angle, too.

Third, are you sure you want to build this in the Minecraft engine? A top-down RTS would eliminate almost all the value of vertical space, since you'd be unable to see most of it. An RTS would almost certainly ditch most of the actual content (items, crafting, etc.), the entire GUI, and would require vast amounts of modified code - I'm having a tough time seeing how basing it on Minecraft would be a time-saver. Not to mention that, if built from scratch, and assuming you finish the game someday, you would be freely able to distribute and/or sell the game as you wanted, whereas a Minecraft mod is inherently limited (cannot possibly sell it, cannot play it unless you own Minecraft, and it breaks whenever Minecraft updates).

So, yeah. I'd suggest you learn OpenGL and build your own engine. If you really want to use the MC engine for some reason, rendering is the least of your issues - the real challenge will be reading, interpreting, modifying, and for the most part, discarding everything Minecraft already includes.

First i'm not that serious to make a full game (especially with opengl and not a game engine). Also minecraft decompiles very very easily and almost everything is retained.

Secondly although as you say it's only camera angle, the entity ordering and drawing and also terrain slicing (to show and order units dig below) might be a bit tricky.

Third: this gave me an idea- maybe it would work without top down. Aka you run around placing markers what to do for creepers and zombies (and all other mod added creatures)

Damn if i was more into it would be doing it on my own engine. But then i probably would be shouted as minecraft+ something (DF?) ripoff :D
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 1380