Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421220 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9840 on: June 04, 2011, 04:19:27 pm »

How the fuck did this post get in this thread?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:35:01 pm by Darvi »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9841 on: June 04, 2011, 07:44:19 pm »

But APIs don't just happen.  They have to be specified, formalized, documented, published, maintained.  And, most notably, each and every part of Minecraft that a modder might possibly want to hook into would need to have its own agreement.  Specifications, documentation, callbacks or hooks, code verification, sandboxing… it would be a lot of work.  A lot of work.  And it would be never ending.  There would always be some code, somewhere, that a modder might be interested in tweaking.

This is actually why I'm somewhat against there being any kind of API. While having an API opens up modding to more people (since it would become 'officially supported' rather than simply not-fighting-over-it-happening that's going on now), there will always be limits in what the API can access. Will you have access to the AI code, allowing entirely new creatures working in strange ways, or largely self-sufficient, functional villages? Would you be able to add new resources - not just new items from new blocks, but for example IndustrialCraft's method of tracking power? Any API that's eventually released could probably do 90% of what anyone wants out of it, but it's always that last 10% that's the most impressive but would no longer be possible.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9842 on: June 04, 2011, 09:06:36 pm »

I would be satisfied with a mod folder that works like the texturepack folder. You drop a .zip in there, with the changes to the classes, and the game incorporates the changes.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9843 on: June 04, 2011, 09:13:03 pm »

A lot of mods already do that with Modloader.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9844 on: June 04, 2011, 09:55:21 pm »

Yeah, but it'd be nice to not have to crack open the .jar to do it. And to have the game play nice with mods.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9845 on: June 04, 2011, 10:05:39 pm »

Yeah, but it'd be nice to not have to crack open the .jar to do it. And to have the game play nice with mods.
I don't trust Notch to make a decent API, if he were to even attempt it.

No, just let the modders complete the API on a version-by-version basis, as they have been doing.
They're close to solving the sprite limit, and -most- of the other issues, apart from modifying the same classes, have been solved already (except the 32,000 ID limit, but that would take quite a bit of rejiggering).

As far as not cracking open the JAR: We've mentioned this already.  For the most part, once you've installed ModLoader, it can just load mods as zips from a certain directory in your install.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9846 on: June 04, 2011, 11:46:45 pm »

Yep, install ModLoader, then run Minecraft. After it is run once, a 'mods' folder will appear in the .minecraft folder into which you can drop the zip files for any mod compatible with it.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9847 on: June 05, 2011, 04:58:15 am »

Not sure if you people noticed this but buildcraft is now multiplayer-able.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9848 on: June 06, 2011, 11:39:50 am »

More than a modding API, I would like to see Notch change Minecraft so that it can propagate changes somehow server-side to client-side. That way, playing a modded server (with GUI and new blocks, for example) won't require patching client-side. Some sort of UO "gump" system for the UIs, pull textures from the web, etc. The mechanics already work (obviously, since the server is doing all the work) you simply can't access them or see them.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #9849 on: June 06, 2011, 12:05:55 pm »

More than a modding API, I would like to see Notch change Minecraft so that it can propagate changes somehow server-side to client-side. That way, playing a modded server (with GUI and new blocks, for example) won't require patching client-side. Some sort of UO "gump" system for the UIs, pull textures from the web, etc. The mechanics already work (obviously, since the server is doing all the work) you simply can't access them or see them.

That actually could be done.  Since the frontend is the program that tells the main program which server to contact, the frontend could also download packages from the server and install them into the main program before starting it.

Security would be a nightmare.  To the point that I would never go online for fear of having malicious code autoinstalled.

As such, vanilla Minecraft isn't ever going to get the capability.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9850 on: June 06, 2011, 12:39:31 pm »

That actually could be done.  Since the frontend is the program that tells the main program which server to contact, the frontend could also download packages from the server and install them into the main program before starting it.

Security would be a nightmare.  To the point that I would never go online for fear of having malicious code autoinstalled.

Only if you completely misunderstand my post.

I'm not talking about having code in your computer autoinstalled or your jars automodded. I'm talking about the Client taking its GUI data from whatever server it is connected to (just a dumb dialog, no code at all, simply GUI elements like the graphics, the slots where things go, the progress bar thingies, etc), meaning that UIs are built SERVER-SIDE and displayed on your screen. I'm talking about your client taking PNGs or GIFs or whatever from the server/other HTTP address, then displaying the new blocks even if your jars aren't changed. I'm talking about the client sending human-interface messages to the server, then waiting for the result, even if the client doesn't know what it does.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9851 on: June 06, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »

In other news, Minecraft is officially announced for Xbox360 Kinect.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9852 on: June 06, 2011, 12:52:34 pm »

Wait with support for connect, or connect dependent?
Thank you based dwarf.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9853 on: June 06, 2011, 12:53:47 pm »

Wait with support for connect, or connect dependent?
Kinect dependent, I would think.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9854 on: June 06, 2011, 12:56:15 pm »

o.0

so, after installing modloader, I just need to put modloader-based mods in the mods directory?
 :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 655 656 [657] 658 659 ... 1380