Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421002 times)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9795 on: May 31, 2011, 05:44:18 pm »

With 1.6 I started a new gargamel map and created a "small" house in the valley right near the spawn and while it rains a lot, I rarely get creature spawns (I think I've seen two skeletons and one cow) but when I go to sleep in my well lit house (10x10?) with the bed in the middle I always get a skeleton to spawn next to the bed.  I have not tried this in single player, only on the server on my Linux machine, with Windows client.

Don't use stair blocks as a roof without solid wood underneath.  They count as 'dark enough to spawn stuff' when the bed checks the surroundings.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:03:26 pm by Rhodan »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9796 on: May 31, 2011, 06:52:57 pm »

With 1.6 I started a new gargamel map and created a "small" house in the valley right near the spawn and while it rains a lot, I rarely get creature spawns (I think I've seen two skeletons and one cow) but when I go to sleep in my well lit house (10x10?) with the bed in the middle I always get a skeleton to spawn next to the bed.  I have not tried this in single player, only on the server on my Linux machine, with Windows client.

Don't use stair blocks as a roof without solid wood underneath.  They count as 'dark enough to spawn stuff' when the bed checks the surroundings.
I did not use stairs for the roof, I used cobblestone blocks double stacked.  There is water flowing over that, but it seems I cannot replicate it now because resting as the only person now seems to work like it did in single player... which may be part of what Notch fixed.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9797 on: May 31, 2011, 11:19:35 pm »

I wonder what the adventure update will include.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9798 on: May 31, 2011, 11:50:59 pm »

I can only hope for some truly awesome dynamic dungeons.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9799 on: June 01, 2011, 12:38:01 am »

Many, many three week vacations.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9800 on: June 01, 2011, 10:11:39 am »

"Wow, that 3 week trip to the Andes really gave me some awesome ideas to put into Minecraft when I return from the Bahamas at the end of July!"

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #9801 on: June 01, 2011, 10:16:37 am »

"Wow, that 3 week trip to the Andes really gave me some awesome ideas to put into Minecraft when I return from the Bahamas at the end of July!"
Hey, at least it gives mods the time to procreate for 1.6_#. Seriously, IC is falling a little bit behind here.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9802 on: June 01, 2011, 10:22:01 am »

I has dependencies on Modloader and Modloader SMP, cut the guy some slack. He needs to wait for them to update.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #9803 on: June 01, 2011, 12:08:48 pm »

I'm not exactly happy with the state of affairs either, but there's a couple of things to note:
  • There is evidence indicating that Notch was in the habit of taking, let's call them “recharge vacations”, before Minecraft's sudden success.  Should he change that habit now that he has even more need to recharge?
  • Notch never intended to ‘make Minecraft.’  He's always intended to ‘make games.’  He's been very clear about that.  Should he change direction because of Minecraft's success?
  • Like me, you purchased Minecraft ‘as is.’  We are not legally owed updates.  The ethical situation is less clear, but I would argue that we are only owed bugfixes, not new content.  New content is bonus, omake.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9804 on: June 01, 2011, 01:12:25 pm »

None of your logic states we cannot whine about it like little babymen.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9805 on: June 01, 2011, 01:13:42 pm »

While we purchased Minecraft "As is", Notch has given his word many many times that it will continue to be developed. It is a little jarring to see how much the development process of Minecraft has changed since it became so successful. At first people were suprised when he went a couple weeks without an update because he was dealing with Valve and trade shows and setting up a business. Now people would be happy to get a regular update once a month.

It is silly to say "you bought it as is, you shouldn't expect anything extra" because extra is exactly what Notch told us we would get. At the same time, it is silly to be too upset because it was a $10 game. What more can you ask for?

Personally, I think Notch should take a step back. Make less blog postings (at least less non-minecraft related ones) and make larger, more spread out releases. Give the mods a chance to catch up and give the haters less ammunition. I am not sure if I get a vacation this year. I don't want to hear how many you have taken.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9806 on: June 01, 2011, 01:21:16 pm »

He should make a mod API, not use his excuse that modders can mod as it is. Most long lived games that people continuously purchase are those with decent mod support. I rarely hear someone playing vanilla minecraft anymore.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9807 on: June 01, 2011, 01:29:32 pm »

Um, isn't he releasing the source code? So a modding API wouldn't really be needed...
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9808 on: June 01, 2011, 01:54:43 pm »

That's the lazy way out. Even with the source code released, people will have to poke at the jar the same old fashioned way.

At the very least, he needs a small API to load mod jars, so users can go through a menu to pick which mods to use instead of having to mess with your .jar

Second problem is, with all the updates, no API means the modders will still have to update like crazy. With an API, you can maintain the API and only update it as necessary. So there's a whole level of backwards compatibility where modders only have to update the mods for minecraft versions -when needed- instead of every single version.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9809 on: June 01, 2011, 02:26:45 pm »

Whoever was asking about bonemeal's new use: If you use it on grass, it spawns tall grass on that block and occasionally flowers around it. So mildly useful, but once you have the first seeds from tall grass you never really need it again.
Pages: 1 ... 652 653 [654] 655 656 ... 1380