Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419828 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9495 on: May 03, 2011, 02:11:03 pm »

I always thought the liquid model is simple just for sake of being simple (to calculate), as opposed to Dwarf Fotress which has more realistic water and magma but large waterworks may cause fps death.
Apparently the issue was with the infinite oceans, and the problems that caused to water height.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: May 03, 2011, 02:56:59 pm »

There are a few major problems with finite fluids that DF manages to avoid.

First is the whole "map edge" problem. In DF, the map has fixed dimensions, and water sources that extend off the edge (rivers, oceans) are large enough that they can be assumed infinite. In Minecraft, the current 'map' is the group of chunks currently loaded, and bodies of water that extend off the edge can most definitely not be considered infinite. Imagine if, suddenly, your river spontaneously flooded (or, alternately, dried up) because you walked far enough away that the chunk the source was located on suddenly unloaded.

Second is the computational complexity of tracking water motion. Here, Minecraft and DF are quite similar - both have large, grid-based, 3D worlds. But in DF, the game can gracefully account for higher processor demands via FPS reduction. Minecraft doesn't have that luxury; reducing the game clock to account for extra processor demands just isn't viable.

The third problem is the issue of non-even division. Consider a 'blob' of DF water, say four full blocks of 7-deep water. That's 28 water units. Now, imagine this water is poured into a 3x3 room (perhaps to form a cleansing pool or something). 27 blocks spread out evenly to form a 3-deep pool, while the one extra unit of water effectively 'skips' around the room. In DF, this is only visible if you've got depth numbers enabled or are actively studying the pool, and even then it doesn't seem weird - at most, it looks like waves. This kind of issue would be really, really ugly in Minecraft, though, where you could see this one, thin 'slice' of water dancing around atop the surface, perpetually looking for a spot it can settle into. A more realistic solution (namely, using floating points to correctly calculate the water's depth) would be incredibly complicated.

Now, granted, there are ways to work around some of these problems. I assume the modders who have implemented finite water have taken a stab at some simple workarounds. Sufficiently-deep water (perhaps a 3x3x3 cube?) could be assumed 'infinite', for instance. But the computational challenges alone make implementing finite fluids pretty much impractical.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: May 03, 2011, 04:58:30 pm »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: May 03, 2011, 05:04:03 pm »

This kind of issue would be really, really ugly in Minecraft, though, where you could see this one, thin 'slice' of water dancing around atop the surface, perpetually looking for a spot it can settle into.
It looks even uglier than that.

The water stays as a blob over where it poured in 'till it finds a place it can settle into. Looks more like runny jello than water.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: May 03, 2011, 05:07:15 pm »

I think the simplest fix there is, if the "vessel" the finite water is contained in doesn't make a clean division, perform a periodic check for standing water.  If it checks, lop off all the remainder water as evaporation.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: May 03, 2011, 07:23:36 pm »

Hm... what if it was by a decimal of what it is now (such as tenths) and rounded for the visual.

I think the simplest fix there is, if the "vessel" the finite water is contained in doesn't make a clean division, perform a periodic check for standing water.  If it checks, lop off all the remainder water as evaporation.

Or this.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: May 03, 2011, 08:12:44 pm »

I wouldn't call it perfectly so much as differently.

Fuck all if you want to make a waterfall with the mods.

Maybe that mod could include a special recipe to make "infinite" sources for the express purpose of waterfalls. Central water bucket surrounded in redstone powder? Lapis blocks? Lava buckets?

Also, as a tangent about texture packs, didn't someone make a texturepack for IndustrialCraft? Anyone know where to find it? I saw it mentioned and some screenshots in the IC thread at the Minecraft forums, but I didn't have time to investigate and forgotten what post/page it was.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: May 03, 2011, 08:22:38 pm »

Maybe that mod could include a special recipe to make "infinite" sources for the express purpose of waterfalls. Central water bucket surrounded in redstone powder? Lapis blocks? Lava buckets?
You can obtain the old minecraft water by mixing three redstone and 1 gold in a block of water.

Yes, you actually mix it. Yes, that is awesome.

mostlikely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: May 04, 2011, 08:09:16 am »

Also, as a tangent about texture packs, didn't someone make a texturepack for IndustrialCraft? Anyone know where to find it? I saw it mentioned and some screenshots in the IC thread at the Minecraft forums, but I didn't have time to investigate and forgotten what post/page it was.

Here are a few (I'm sure there are more)

Industrial Pack (Painterly)
Industrial Craft Textures Based Off Misa's Pack [WIP]
[64x] IndustrialCraft textures for soartex users

I personally use the last one.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: May 04, 2011, 08:41:17 am »

We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: May 04, 2011, 11:19:28 am »

I can't stand Jolicraft. :(

I need a modernish texture pack.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: May 04, 2011, 11:38:17 am »

Man, this underground cavern I found is huge. It has so many little caves that branch off and thereon and henceforth. It's crazy trying to adventure into each one, illuminate them, and then label them all with signs so I don't get lost. I had to wall off a huge portion of it, a portion I've nicknamed "The Catacombs", for being so large and labyrinthine that I can't venture in without getting SURPRISE EXPLODED.

Once it's all done though, I'm going to have the most amazing underground fort mansion in existence. I already have a bed, crafting table, furnace, and large chest in the cave near the main staircase entrance. I've built a clock, a nice luxury, from all the gold I've found, and I slather compact staircase tiles everywhere I can, just so I don't have to manually hop up and down the caverns like a savage when making my expeditions deeper and deeper in. I also want to make it snazzy with a book case, jukebox, and alot of other cool stuff I've found in the wiki.

I managed to make myself a bow and a big pile of arrows to help kill creepers and the like from a safe distance. I was thinking of investing two ingots of iron to make an iron sword. I'm not sure though, is an iron sword more damaging than a wooden or stone one, or is it simply more durable? or both?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: May 04, 2011, 12:21:11 pm »

More damaging by far.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: May 04, 2011, 01:03:17 pm »

Have you ever had caverns so big you have trouble ever finding parts of them? I have.

There was this deadly branch I wanted to explore yesterday. I couldn't find the damn thing.

There's probably parts of some of my megacaverns that have yet to be explored merely because I never found the way back.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: May 04, 2011, 02:49:20 pm »

I managed to make myself a bow and a big pile of arrows to help kill creepers and the like from a safe distance. I was thinking of investing two ingots of iron to make an iron sword. I'm not sure though, is an iron sword more damaging than a wooden or stone one, or is it simply more durable? or both?

Absolutely. An iron sword should be your second iron-based product, right after an iron pick. (Third, if you wander off from your main base and have to build a compass to get home. Never going to make that mistake again.  ::) It takes, what, three hits to kill a mob with an iron sword? Seriously worth it.

Have you ever had caverns so big you have trouble ever finding parts of them? I have.

There was this deadly branch I wanted to explore yesterday. I couldn't find the damn thing.

There's probably parts of some of my megacaverns that have yet to be explored merely because I never found the way back.

Hehe, it's times like these I really wish signs would stack - you can't bring nearly enough on a single trip to label an entire cavern. I seriously doubt Notch's new maps will apply to the underground, but I'd be lying if I didn't wish they would; it'd make the whole subterranean exploration thing a heck of a lot easier.

One thing that can help is landmarks. Of course, caves all start to look alike after a while, so identifying natural landmarks is tricky - I've never tried it, but it might be helpful to bring stacks of coloured wool into the caverns, and use them to mark major intersections. Nothing says, "This way home!" like a massive pillar of neon-purple wool.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 1380