Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419815 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9480 on: May 03, 2011, 09:13:44 am »

I tested out minecraft yesterday on my roommate's computer. Wow, this is actually pretty fun. I found an empty cave to call my own, and then dug a diagonal shaft downward until I discoverd OHSHIT-huge natural cave. It's a massive catacombs complex full of precious metals and gems, but also many many nasties. I want to tame that cave, and make it my own personal underground mansion.

I also want to not die as often, any tips on that? Is iron armor a good investment?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: May 03, 2011, 09:31:03 am »

Armor has really only helped me when I was out looking for trouble.  Usually when I go digging, I take lots of torches and a bow with arrows.  Drop torches every 6 blocks or so and always leave yourself an out.  Don't jump down somewhere you can't get back up immediately.   If possible, dig stairs down.  I never waste resources on armor.  You can usually drop dirt blocks and block enemies faster than it takes to kill something.  If you drop a block at head level or higher it makes archers usually can't hit you (arrow arc) and if you drop it at your head level with one space, zombies can't get you.  You can take pot shots at their feet though.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: May 03, 2011, 10:35:07 am »

Armor can be handy for surviving creeper attacks outta nowhere. You just need to avoid fall damage wearing it out.

And a tip, all armor provides the same protection. Different materials simply degrade faster.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: May 03, 2011, 11:03:32 am »

Balkon's weapon mod is pretty good for cave taming. I think.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: May 03, 2011, 11:28:02 am »

Well, I'm not going to coerce my roommate into modding his version of the game. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I haven't tried the setting blocks in front of my enemies trick, I guess it's cause I fly into a panic from how hectic and unforgiving combat is. I've had to recover some good loot from a deep chasm on more than one occasion, if only because I'm attacking and then fall into the pit in my struggle, and then die.

Also, the game inspires quite a lot of paranoia from how the creepers will sometimes spawn and fall right on top of you. And sometimes you run away from an enemy, and then go back, and they're gone, vanished into thin air.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: May 03, 2011, 11:31:19 am »

Well, I'm not going to coerce my roommate into modding his version of the game. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I haven't tried the setting blocks in front of my enemies trick, I guess it's cause I fly into a panic from how hectic and unforgiving combat is. I've had to recover some good loot from a deep chasm on more than one occasion, if only because I'm attacking and then fall into the pit in my struggle, and then die.

Also, the game inspires quite a lot of paranoia from how the creepers will sometimes spawn and fall right on top of you. And sometimes you run away from an enemy, and then go back, and they're gone, vanished into thin air.

Speaking of dropping blocks... a bucket of magma is perhaps one of the most valuable weapons you can carry. Creeper running towards you? Drop the magma, retreat, and re-scoop the magma after the creeper has been incinerated. Just punched into a room and it's full of monsters? Burn 'em out. Magma really is the solution to everything.  :D

(It will destroy most if not all of the monster's drops, and you do have to be a bit careful not to get burned yourself, but other than that it's fine!)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: May 03, 2011, 11:51:56 am »

Tons of gravel and sand work too, depending on the circumstances.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: May 03, 2011, 11:55:08 am »

Since I've just gotten into this game, I want to know a bit more about it's development. Is it planned for water and magma and other particulates to behave in a more realistic manner later on? Cause I'd like for the accidental breach of a body of water in a cave to be truly disastrous as it fills your entire domicile.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: May 03, 2011, 11:58:15 am »

Notch did play around with more realistic water approaches, but he chose this water because you can make cool waterfalls and easily work with it. Ultimately this water is better for constructions, and there are a lot of headaches in dealing with realistic water and having it look good.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9489 on: May 03, 2011, 12:00:55 pm »

Which hasn't prevented modders from totally re-engineering it to work basically perfectly.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: May 03, 2011, 12:09:20 pm »

I wouldn't call it perfectly so much as differently.

Fuck all if you want to make a waterfall with the mods.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: May 03, 2011, 12:49:01 pm »

well, I heard there is a mod which has pumps... that would be able to create a waterfall even with limited water

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: May 03, 2011, 12:58:59 pm »

well, I heard there is a mod which has pumps... that would be able to create a waterfall even with limited water
It's possible, but it sounds like far more work then just getting a single bucket full of water and dropping it anywhere you want to make a waterfall.
That said, it does sound fairly cool to have more realistic water.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Hairywoodenleg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: May 03, 2011, 01:33:05 pm »

I always thought the liquid model is simple just for sake of being simple (to calculate), as opposed to Dwarf Fotress which has more realistic water and magma but large waterworks may cause fps death.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: May 03, 2011, 01:40:13 pm »

That's realistic water, or fluids or something, and it's quite awesome, you have pumps which are fairly simple to make and use and while the liquid model is far from perfect it is in my opinion much better than the usual water and magma, which you can get by the way if you combine some stuff with a bucket of the stuff.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 1380