Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419305 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9315 on: April 25, 2011, 10:29:06 am »

It still is private, just not just the two of them. They still don't know what they are going to see, but they sorta stopped pretending it was not staged at all.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9316 on: April 25, 2011, 11:54:18 am »

It still is private, just not just the two of them. They still don't know what they are going to see, but they sorta stopped pretending it was not staged at all.

I figured as much, after the whole "We're on Hamachi, so no one should be able to log on. Oh, except for the 20+ people in our group" bit they went through. It's still entertaining though.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9317 on: April 25, 2011, 12:46:50 pm »

Simon and Lewis are amazing. And the Israphel episodes are even more amazing.

Is Industrial Craft out for 1.5 yet? Waiting on starting a new game for that mod.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9318 on: April 25, 2011, 02:11:55 pm »

First person to call out the new post on the tumblr! I'm so proud :3

I've always wanted maps that fill out as you explore, and Notch appears to have read my mind, laying out everything I've wanted and more right there. The bit about the modding API makes sense to me, though I'm not sold on the mods-not-breaking-with-every-update bit. It seems like it'd throw in more work on Notch's side just to preserve the work of others, when they have proved they are capable of updating as well.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9319 on: April 25, 2011, 02:18:47 pm »

I just got an interesting adventure-style map idea. But I will need pistons to be available to maximize it's potential however.

Think of it like an abandoned military base or something sometime in the future. However, the harsh truth is that an alien craft has zombified everyone there, and they mostly come out during the night, and in the underhalls of the compound. It's supposed to be Area-51 themed, but in the future. Some craft are docked on spires as ready-to-launch, others will be strewn about the base, some intact, others destroyed or inoperable.

You start off as a lone marine that was immune to the effects of the new alien craft hidden in base. You, however, were only assigned to serve as a security force to prevent intruders from learning about the base. Now, it's your job to destroy the source of whatever caused all personell to vanish. It will be one of those limited supplies kind of adventures with it's share of problem-solving. You have to bypass classified zones, grab some security keys (redstone torches), and if all else fails, even destroy some things (self-destruct mechanisms, possibly craft still armed with some bombs, stray bombs/fuel rods) or do some acrobatics.

After going through some challenges to get the proper information materials, you learn that you were not the only one that was going after the source of the "plague". One of your ex-comrades has dropped some notes here and there to assist you if you have decided to help out. However, he wanted to make sure nothing else escapes beyond the base, so he locked a bunch of doors. Here's where a mechanic comes to play, The beginning is 'Peaceful', but after breaching the underground, the difficulty changes to easy. After making access to the ship, it now goes into 'normal', and when you get inside the ship, it's 'hard'. After breaching the underground, you'll have to be on the lookout for redstone (torches and dust), because you'll need that to assist with the single block of TNT you find. Long adventure short, you're going to need to setup a pretty long fuse, and place some TNT when you find the alien ship's reactor to detonate it. The more puzzles you solve in the ship, the shorter path you'll have to travel to escape the explosion.

That's something else I want to exploit with the explosion. Instead of a complicated redstone mechanism, and a bunch of TNT blocks all over the ship (lag-fest); instead, I want the internal infrastructure of the ship to have a dirt "insulation" so the TNT has a maximized explosion output throughout the ship so that one explosion triggers the next seamlessly, and also for a convincing explosion chase sequence. It would also force you to use the TNT at the end to destroy the craft; nothing else.

The adventure ends when there's nothing left of the alien craft. Diamonds will be used for score I guess; and a bow will most likely be your primary weapon, as well as a puzzle solver.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:48:54 pm by Itnetlolor »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9320 on: April 25, 2011, 02:24:13 pm »

Hmm. No modding API? Eh, oh well, Notch echoed my thoughts on that one. I figure if he can make the mods not break on every update, I don't really care whether there's an API or not.

Unfortunately, I really was hoping that there was gonna be single player mod compatibility in multiplayer :( very disappointing if that gets thrown out the window completely.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #9321 on: April 25, 2011, 02:36:11 pm »

Itnet, that idea is awesome. Just putting that out there.

Would the difficulty just be a sign that says "CHANGE DIFFICULTY TO:" or would you implement a mod that would do that?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9322 on: April 25, 2011, 02:41:02 pm »

Even if there's no official API, a way for hosts to send packages to clients would be great.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9323 on: April 25, 2011, 02:45:19 pm »

That sounds like an awesome idea. Bonus points if you make a graphics pack that turns the bow into a lasgun and the arrows onto lasers.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #9324 on: April 25, 2011, 03:23:25 pm »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9325 on: April 25, 2011, 03:31:27 pm »

...Except for the fact that if Minecraft was a AAA title, it'd consist of one cave system, with specially marked "destructable" blocks you can dig through. Next summer, Minecraft 2 comes out, featuring flowing liquids (in specially scripted areas) and a whole new cave. Minecraft 3 has "fire" blocks that burn things and do damage, and is set in an ice cave. There are no scripted liquid areas there.

Each one costs $49.95.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #9326 on: April 25, 2011, 03:58:06 pm »

Right. Current minecraft with that style of graphics?

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9327 on: April 25, 2011, 04:07:21 pm »

...Except for the fact that if Minecraft was a AAA title, it'd consist of one cave system, with specially marked "destructable" blocks you can dig through. Next summer, Minecraft 2 comes out, featuring flowing liquids (in specially scripted areas) and a whole new cave. Minecraft 3 has "fire" blocks that burn things and do damage, and is set in an ice cave. There are no scripted liquid areas there.

Each one costs $49.95.

I'm sick of attitudes like this. The quality of the game depends on the people making it, not the genre it's in. There are game developers I would trust with Minecraft, and there are... others.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9328 on: April 25, 2011, 05:45:50 pm »

That sounds like an awesome idea. Bonus points if you make a graphics pack that turns the bow into a lasgun and the arrows onto lasers.
Itnet, that idea is awesome. Just putting that out there.

Would the difficulty just be a sign that says "CHANGE DIFFICULTY TO:" or would you implement a mod that would do that?
Thanks. I've been meaning to work on a graphics pack myself, just didn't find time to. As for Changing difficulties. I guess either a sign will be placed at a checkpoint (with an accompanying bed or something (security checkpoint; think Resident Evil or Parasite Eve or something which uses something common or a rest zone as a save point.)), or there will be an indicator visible.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9329 on: April 25, 2011, 05:55:36 pm »

Each one costs $49.95.

I'm sick of attitudes like this. The quality of the game depends on the people making it, not the genre it's in. There are game developers I would trust with Minecraft, and there are... others.

I would be sick of it as well, if it weren't true.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 620 621 [622] 623 624 ... 1380