Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2418730 times)

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #9000 on: April 12, 2011, 07:14:40 pm »

If I could, I would invest in your experiments.They are useful to improve efficiency of my own facilities.
When I tested watermills, I never went beyond the "It works" stage, and while the theoretical background I had was sufficient for good energy production, it seems your experiments can still give interesting and unexpected information to improve efficiency further.

Could you use the acquired knowledge from your experiments to calculate how many optimal watermills would be needed to run an autominer without depleting MFEs?

Your appreciation is duly noted.  :)

12 optimally designed water mills should provide enough EU to constantly power a miner.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9001 on: April 12, 2011, 07:21:33 pm »

I had heard some talk from notch about mods infected with keyloggers; how well vetted has the industry mod been? It sounds like fun, but w/o the official mod support in to prevent keylogging I want to be absolutely certain before acquiring it.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9002 on: April 12, 2011, 07:28:28 pm »

I had heard some talk from notch about mods infected with keyloggers; how well vetted has the industry mod been? It sounds like fun, but w/o the official mod support in to prevent keylogging I want to be absolutely certain before acquiring it.
Mods don't effect(affect?) the launcher. Also IndustrialCraft is well used and no one's complained about their accounts being stolen because of it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9003 on: April 12, 2011, 07:28:54 pm »

Mods don't effect(affect?) the launcher. Also IndustrialCraft is well used and no one's complained about their accounts being stolen because of it.
affect

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9004 on: April 12, 2011, 07:36:41 pm »

I've got a small update for my water mill post. The main thing is that I believe that moving water and source blocks aren't treated differently by water mills. Here are my updated beliefs:

1) they don't benefit from water blocks outside of a 3x3x3 cube,
2) water mills are much less effective if they're sharing water,
3) each well designed water mill should fill 5000 EU (MFE or Tesla Coil) in about 10 minutes,
4) each unshared water block in that volume contributes ~0.3 EU every second, and
5) moving water and source blocks aren't treated differently by water mills.

This sounds like they might be more efficient than solar generators, which not only fluctuate their generation based on time of day (as opposed to flipping fully "on" at daybreak and "off" at sundown), but were straight up nerfed to generate a max of 1 EU/s.

Not as space efficient but each iteration of a solar flower generates 1.5 eu/s max and needs five times the resources of a water mill.

Be careful, Alblaka has tricked you!

Quote from: Alblaka
EUs = Energy Unit per second (not actually second, but frame, but who cares...)

I'm sorry to say I helped him.  :(

I kind of suspect that the times I experienced are only valid for other people with a constant framerate of 60 fps but I don't have enough data to have a clear picture of things change. I meant to add that caveat but it seems like I forgot. Adding it now.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9005 on: April 12, 2011, 07:41:16 pm »

The more popular mods are generally fine. If the thread has around five pages of replies it should be safe. It's the obscure mods which promise odd things that can get you.

I'm actually really surprised on how large of a phishing community has sprung up around Minecraft. Keyloggers in mods, people offering 'strategy guides' for at least $20, Minecraft server hosts that cost a whole hell of a lot more than a normal server at those specs and possibly more mod-based ones I can think of but have not heard of yet.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:43:08 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9006 on: April 12, 2011, 09:22:22 pm »

Executables which purport to handle your complex mod-management duties (for instance one-click management between a high def texture pack and the default for use in multiplayer) may also be suspect. In fact, I'd expect it more from those kinds of utilities than I would from a mod in Minecraft itself, but I don't know much about Minecraft modding. Given that it is all hack work right now it does seem probable that you could write some keylogging process into it. I'd expect people to frequently play Minecraft while doing other duties (maybe their finances, maybe their work on a net-connect machine) so it'd be a fairly good target for keylogging.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9007 on: April 12, 2011, 09:35:22 pm »

So, current M404 run is going pretty well.
I've gotten a nice nook with a good magma pool.
Picked up some coal for a few torches than I planted and I now have a farm.
I know where some iron is too, which would be good.
Also, a zombie just fell into some magma.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9008 on: April 12, 2011, 09:43:19 pm »

The more popular mods are generally fine. If the thread has around five pages of replies it should be safe. It's the obscure mods which promise odd things that can get you.

I'm actually really surprised on how large of a phishing community has sprung up around Minecraft. Keyloggers in mods, people offering 'strategy guides' for at least $20, Minecraft server hosts that cost a whole hell of a lot more than a normal server at those specs and possibly more mod-based ones I can think of but have not heard of yet.
Are you really surprised? This happens all the time.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9009 on: April 12, 2011, 11:14:05 pm »

Do Luminators ever actually produce much light? Mine seem to do little more than a little background light. Not enough to replace a torch, certainly. Do I need to have high voltage going through them to produce a significant amount of light?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9010 on: April 12, 2011, 11:25:26 pm »

So, I want to get some mods on, and I am mine-craft mod illiterate... So I need to make sure that it doesn't screw up ma game..
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9011 on: April 12, 2011, 11:46:17 pm »

Do Luminators ever actually produce much light? Mine seem to do little more than a little background light. Not enough to replace a torch, certainly. Do I need to have high voltage going through them to produce a significant amount of light?
I think you need 16-31 power running through them at any one time to get the maximum (equivalent to torch) light level.  32 will melt it though, so be careful about that.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9012 on: April 13, 2011, 12:46:22 am »

16-31 is actually slightly brighter than a torch, enough so that it'll set zombies and skeletons on fire. If I'm using it for interior lighting, I'll usually try to keep it on the lowest setting for utility areas, medium for working or "living" areas. Highest is usually reserved for exterior lighting or defense systems.

I'm in the middle of building my first structure that has "mostly" hidden wiring. Somewhat of a watch tower, as it's a bit small on the interior to be anything else, but I'm sparing no expense on the amenities. It is taking a while to build though, as I haven't set up a substantial power plant yet. Everything I've got is running off of 4 solar cells, 3 hydro generators immersed in water and an auxiliary generator powered by coal or occasionally biofuel. The solar and hydro easily take care of my manufacturing needs. But they won't take up the slack if I decide to turn on the lights. I do have 4 MFEs spread through the system though, so it can power itself for a while, but it takes a long time to charge back up as well. If I decide to connect an auto-miner everything gets drained very quickly. However, I'm slowly mining out all the good areas within reasonable reach of my base. Soon, I'll have to figure out some sort of mobile power source, either mobile generators, or just loads of batteries.

Pictures of the work in progress, if anyone is interested for some reason.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9013 on: April 13, 2011, 09:51:38 am »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #9014 on: April 13, 2011, 11:09:50 am »

Planehacked is planning to start a big project in 1.5. We're thinking of a community city of some sort; it could be an underground-, onground-, or flying-above-the-ground- city.

We'll do this with 1.5 and it'll be for people vetted through the public server. Join up now if you'd like to participate!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 599 600 [601] 602 603 ... 1380