Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2418739 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8985 on: April 12, 2011, 01:44:26 pm »

It was rough going 'till I made a door and started to excavate a home. Turns out making a mini-farm using the crushed bones of my enemies works swimmingly. But goddam is it scary when you dig out a tile of ceiling and both lava and a skeleton pour down.

But yeah, use Skeleton bones for bonemeal for your farm. Makes the whole task a lot less nerve-wracking.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8986 on: April 12, 2011, 01:48:30 pm »

Unfortunately, of the 2 or 3 skeles I've killed now, none have dropped any bones. That or the bones fell in the lava. But in any case, my first crop seems to be coming along decently enough... for now.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: April 12, 2011, 01:48:58 pm »

Look at this.
Minecraft Extended gives Blocks IDs to 1024. There are some issues, but it looks awesome. :)

I really need to take the 404 challenge, now. :o

Ninja'd

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8988 on: April 12, 2011, 01:50:19 pm »

I spent too long outside before going into the sinkhole. got creepered before making it in.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8989 on: April 12, 2011, 02:38:13 pm »

Arhg. I really need a better computer. I lost because of lag.
I took a moment to prepare, gathering sand, dirt, seeds, and wood and finally went to the gravel.
I made it collapse and after a moment of lag, I jumped in and from what I saw, I slowly when down the waterfall, but eventually fell to near death at the bottom where two zombies were waiting for me. I mashed the W key, but it ran me into the wall where I was killed. It lagged horribly through the time where I opened the cavern to where I was killed by the zombies. :(

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8990 on: April 12, 2011, 02:38:56 pm »

Whelp, creepers. Usually if I have a steady supply of food they are no problem, but my bread ran out long before they wore me down.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: April 12, 2011, 03:21:29 pm »

Mind giving me a diagram of what you come up with?

it is a bit hard, but I'll try to describe it.

first of all, I dug a 7x7 hole in the ground.

in the ceiling, I also dug a 7x7 hole, but this time I cut the corners ( I'll explain why later)
Code: [Select]
OOOOOOOOO
OOO---OOO
OO-----OO
O-------O
O-------O
O-------O
OO-----OO
OOO---OOO
OOOOOOOOO

O=cobblestone
- = empty

this hole is 2 tiles deep, and the water sources are only on the highest tile. This means that you can put 1 layer of dirst on the lower level to drain the machine without depleting your source blocks. considering that they are not very easy to place, I think it is invaluable. another advantage of this design is that it avoid spills, water will be forced to fall in that exact shape.
The reason I cut the corners was to have dry corners in the big hole, where I could place torches. it doesn not decrease power generation, because they are out of watermills range.

now the important part: the watermills.
they are placed in a cross design
Code: [Select]
-------
---W---
---C---
-WCMCW-
---C---
---W---
-------

M=MFE
C=cable
W= watermill

in the current version, MFE will send power upward first. So, the exit cable should be placed on the top, to avoid energy loss in the MFEs.
to avoid blocking my waterfall, I made my cable straight up and through the ceiling (NOTE: should be done before you place water sources. I learnt it the hard way, having to work against water. it isn't that hard... but it is better to do it when everything is dry).
then, after you get a powered cable outside the generator room... you are done!

I hope it was clear enough.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: April 12, 2011, 03:36:13 pm »

Tee hee. Using some choice words, I managed to find a cavesystem that has 11 diamonds in. Plus redstone, plus iron, plus lapis.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8993 on: April 12, 2011, 03:39:28 pm »

How'd ya manage that?

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: April 12, 2011, 03:41:38 pm »

Well... I stumbled apon it. So later when I had an Iron pick I mined it.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: April 12, 2011, 03:44:21 pm »

Started 404 challenge, modified. Playing on peaceful because I'm a fucking pansy.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8996 on: April 12, 2011, 04:06:16 pm »

Bluh bluh huge bitch mode: I decided, near-arbitrarily, that I do not like mods and will have none of them on my computer. My new mantra: Once it's canon, I'll play it.

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: April 12, 2011, 05:02:37 pm »

I've got a small update for my water mill post. The main thing is that I believe that moving water and source blocks aren't treated differently by water mills. Here are my updated beliefs:

0) not compatible with Alblaka's EUs
1) they don't benefit from water blocks outside of a 3x3x3 cube,
2) water mills are much less effective if they're sharing water,
3) each well designed water mill should fill 5000 EU (MFE or Tesla Coil) in about 10 minutes,
4) each unshared water block in that volume contributes ~0.3 EU every second, and
5) moving water and source blocks aren't treated differently by water mills.

Read the details (and see the picture) here:

If you missed it, the first part is here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35804.msg2172167#msg2172167

Edit: Wow I forgot a huge caveat. Sorry!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:36:00 pm by poca »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: April 12, 2011, 05:18:11 pm »

If I could, I would invest in your experiments.They are useful to improve efficiency of my own facilities.
When I tested watermills, I never went beyond the "It works" stage, and while the theoretical background I had was sufficient for good energy production, it seems your experiments can still give interesting and unexpected information to improve efficiency further.

Could you use the acquired knowledge from your experiments to calculate how many optimal watermills would be needed to run an autominer without depleting MFEs?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8999 on: April 12, 2011, 07:09:34 pm »

I've got a small update for my water mill post. The main thing is that I believe that moving water and source blocks aren't treated differently by water mills. Here are my updated beliefs:

1) they don't benefit from water blocks outside of a 3x3x3 cube,
2) water mills are much less effective if they're sharing water,
3) each well designed water mill should fill 5000 EU (MFE or Tesla Coil) in about 10 minutes,
4) each unshared water block in that volume contributes ~0.3 EU every second, and
5) moving water and source blocks aren't treated differently by water mills.

This sounds like they might be more efficient than solar generators, which not only fluctuate their generation based on time of day (as opposed to flipping fully "on" at daybreak and "off" at sundown), but were straight up nerfed to generate a max of 1 EU/s.

Not as space efficient but each iteration of a solar flower generates 1.5 eu/s max and needs five times the resources of a water mill.
Pages: 1 ... 598 599 [600] 601 602 ... 1380