Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419686 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8760 on: April 07, 2011, 04:29:47 pm »

Man, my constructions just keep getting smaller.  I started off building big fuckoff blocks of concrete in the shape of castles.  The last one was pretty rockin' except I had no idea what to do with it, and it's still trapped on my old computer.  Now, I've just got a glass-windowed lighthouse.  It's tall, maybe, but I'm not impressed with it.
My advice: Remember that everything can be bigger or more impressive, while still basically being what it is. I mean, look at a house. What's a house need to qualify as a house? A 1x1x2 block to stand in, a smelter, workshop, and however many chests you need. I guess a torch if you're not gonna be in there all the time, and maybe a bed to speed things along on single-player.

But nobody builds 4x3x2 shacks because they suck. So why are you building NxNxK towers? Why not (N*2)x(N*2)x(K+2)?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: April 07, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »

I want Notch to add in water and magma flows that are something, anything MORE LIKE REALITY. Like draining a lake, etc. I dont need no stinking snow, WTF is that gonna do?

I know he wont do this because he failed early on and gave up and gave us his "solution". It seems to me that this is the type of thing that cant be modded either. OH well, I bet someone else will make a better game that has this someday...
This douchy bullshit again?

Minecraft is ultimately about building junk. Notch could add a water system with better flows and stuff, but it's very difficult to make good-looking flows easily and deal with people exploiting it. The current system works well for people who want to use liquids and flows in constructions. A 'better' flow system may fit the world generated lakes and oceans better, but it would be a pain in the ass to manipulate in constructions. Waterfalls would be impossible and such.

And I'm not gonna allow this passive-aggressive whining about how somebody else is gonna surpass him because he makes terrible decisions that are not specifically what you want now instead of any other conceivable feature ever. Go ahead and say you wanted something else added so we can ignore that idiotic response.
Such anger...
HIS RAGE WILL BLOT OUT THE SUN
THEN WE SHALL WHINE IN THE SHADE
AND THEN REALIZE THERE IS A MOD WITH FINITE SOMEWHAT REALISTIC WATER

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: April 07, 2011, 05:02:23 pm »

because of lack of furniture I suppose. Tiny holes are bad, but so are huge empty rooms.

I suggest downloading industrialcraft, and joining the crows of people overengineering their power nets.

I finished digging the pit for the future hydroelectric generator. I took this screenshot because for a lot of time it will have a dirt floor somewhere in the middle of that. I don't have the resources to build it all together, and a floor to work on is useful
Spoiler: photo (click to show/hide)

the holes you see in the walls are small windows from which I can observe the waterfall.
fun fact: all the torches, except those on the bottom tiles, will stay lit. if everything goes as planned, a 2x2 area at the corners will stay dry.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: April 07, 2011, 05:12:09 pm »

Possible bad news, last I heard only water SOURCE tiles give power to hydro generators.  A bunch of sources on the top then waterfalls all the way down may not do it.

I learned of this a few versions ago though so maybe it's changed.  So we need ‼SCIENCE‼.   Or maybe just science since it's hard to make water based science burst into flames.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: April 07, 2011, 05:17:37 pm »

That's an easy fix. If you have a huge amount of spare redstone, you can lay out a floor at the sides of the current layer of hydros, and then lay out the redstone on the sides of the generators and put a block of water above it. The redstone should turn into a water sourceblock.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: April 07, 2011, 05:20:09 pm »

Thunder and Lightning are in. :D
Rain won't solidify lava and you have a better chance of catching fish in the rain.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: April 07, 2011, 05:24:33 pm »

I'm just angry because these are not valid disagreements with the game or the creator. They are complete diehard "Notch is the worst and should feel bad and should give the project to someone who isn't such a colossal disappointment of a human being" whines that I cannot take seriously. And the source of these whines are because he was adding some pointless distraction over another, and it wasn't done yesterday.

I understand that his progress seems slow and that some features people really want yet Notch is sort of ignoring it, but this level of bitchiness is aggravating.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: April 07, 2011, 05:25:35 pm »

I learned of this a few versions ago though so maybe it's changed.  So we need ‼SCIENCE‼.   Or maybe just science since it's hard to make water based science burst into flames.

I made SCIENCE before mining the enormous pit luckily. running water powers watermills, and they generate a decent quantity of  power.

I also did !!SCIENCE!! regarding geothermal reactors, but then the creator of the mod stated in the thread that geothermal gets no power from lava around it.

I haven't understood the redstone suggestion... but I think it may be easier to just grab some buckets. water is infinite.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: April 07, 2011, 05:26:43 pm »

Rain won't solidify lava and you have a better chance of catching fish in the rain.
Awesome. :D
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: April 07, 2011, 05:44:08 pm »

Yay! :D

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: April 07, 2011, 05:56:28 pm »

Meanwhile his promises of actual gameplay for minecraft seem to be slowly fading away.

D:

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: April 07, 2011, 06:00:49 pm »

1.5 look like it should have snow and rain along with official mod support! People who always think the next update will be the best were bound to be right once and this looks like their time. People who always think the last update was better were also bound to be right and their time will come in 1.6. Oh god, why can't I just say the next update will be great?  ;)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: April 07, 2011, 06:33:13 pm »

official mod support!
I doubt it.  Not yet.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: April 07, 2011, 06:34:42 pm »

Meanwhile his promises of actual gameplay for minecraft seem to be slowly fading away.

D:
To be fair, Minecraft as we know it basically came about through Notch trying to make a game with actual gameplay, before realizing it was a lot more fun to just build stuff.

Also, weather and better fishing during the rain sounds like a step (or potential step) towards the more survival-y aspects of gameplay to me.

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: April 07, 2011, 06:42:40 pm »

official mod support!
I doubt it.  Not yet.
I also doubt it will be fully done in 1.5 but isn't the reason for the lack of the Pistons update to 1.4_01 because mod support is going to be in 1.5 or 1.6?
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 1380