Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419682 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8730 on: April 07, 2011, 01:50:01 am »

that one is useful...
I may have to get that recipe book mod.

anyway, if a MFE is connected both upward and downward , it will send its current upward, won't it?

having to connect cables to the side would be very annoying.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8731 on: April 07, 2011, 02:26:55 am »

Recipe book crashed me. :\ I haven't opened Minecraft yet, but I hope it didn't ruin the work on my house. :o
I think someone said it had troubles with TooManyItems.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8732 on: April 07, 2011, 03:25:42 am »

You will always need some MFEs. You can't join current otherwise.

Switch cables combine current more predictably than MFEs, and are less expensive.  5 inputs, 1 output, stackable without possible weird feedback loops.

MFEs will send current upward if there is something that accepts it.  Otherwise it does down.  I'm not sure a cable counts as an acceptor, because it's not a consumer.

So for a vertical hoover dam, I imagine a column of switch cables with 4 water generators hung on every second cable, and water source blocks on top of each generator.  Current will combine and flow down.  You should find out today's limit on cable length before you get losses, and put in a single MFE at that point, counting from the top.  This probably means a jog in the cable to avoid a current loop, because the MFE will try to send current back up if you send current directly down into it.  So your switch cable column feeds down into a single normal cable which feeds horizontally into a MFE, which then feeds down and continues the column.  If you want to go that high.

This could be quite a pretty construction.  It'll look like a fountain.  Position a few glass and obsidian blocks around it, maybe some nice colors of wool inside the flow, a brick pool wall, make something useful and nice to look at.

Hmm.  Now I want to try one.  Comments, anyone?  Refinements?

And remember, while you are mining out that space, you may well encounter more than enough tin and copper for all your needs. Remember, those two can be combined in a certain way to make iron, which was already posted.

8 to 10 tin and 8 to 10 copper for 1 iron?  Thanx but nothanx.  Autominers FTW.  I've been running 4, 2 at a time off 5 solar panels + occasional charcoal-fired generators, and I'm about to upgrade to blocks of 8 running off nuclear.  8 running while I collect ore and spoil, place the next 8, and run more HV cable.  I'm getting really good results.

Always do large-scale mining in the southwest quadrant, i.e. where X is positive and Z is positive on the F3 display.  There's a bug in the ore placement algorithm.  (It floors when it should round to zero.)

When retracting drilling pipe, I like to put a single torch in the pipe/fill box, then once that's placed, I put in a feather or porkchop or something so that nothing gets filled in as the pipe retracts.  When the pipe is up and I come by to check it, I send just one pipe down, then use a glass block as retraction fill.  I get a nice shaft with a torch 60-odd levels down.  Pretty!  The glass block keeps the miner from falling down the shaft when I wrench it.

Tired.  Rambling.

Edit:
Recipe book crashed me. :\ I haven't opened Minecraft yet, but I hope it didn't ruin the work on my house. :o

For serious?  Recipe Book is like the least intrusive mod ever.  I've got it running with TMI and 5 other mods, fine.  (1.4, not the current 1.4_01.)  It doesn't have class file collisions with TMI, and it's by the ModLoader guy, it's gotta be good.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:29:27 am by 0x517A5D »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8733 on: April 07, 2011, 03:34:17 am »

Edit:

For serious?  Recipe Book is like the least intrusive mod ever.  I've got it running with TMI and 5 other mods, fine.  (1.4, not the current 1.4_01.)  It doesn't have class file collisions with TMI, and it's by the ModLoader guy, it's gotta be good.
Huh... I checked and it's installed correctly. I'm going to reinstall it later and try again. :P

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8734 on: April 07, 2011, 03:59:06 am »

Notch on Twitter, 4 minutes ago:
Adding rain and snow to 1.5.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8735 on: April 07, 2011, 04:36:02 am »

Notch on Twitter, 4 minutes ago:
Adding rain and snow to 1.5.
Yay!
In other news:
Quote from: Jeb
Piston mod status: 1) I'm in contact with Hippoplatimus. 2) Yes, we want to alter the feature slightly. 3) Not in beta 1.5.
Aww...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8736 on: April 07, 2011, 06:44:44 am »

Snow? Yessssss. Legit landmines make a reappearance, I am so happy.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #8737 on: April 07, 2011, 08:36:23 am »

I want Notch to add in water and magma flows that are something, anything MORE LIKE REALITY. Like draining a lake, etc. I dont need no stinking snow, WTF is that gonna do?

I know he wont do this because he failed early on and gave up and gave us his "solution". It seems to me that this is the type of thing that cant be modded either. OH well, I bet someone else will make a better game that has this someday...
I got nothing

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8738 on: April 07, 2011, 08:44:02 am »

The problem with water is that the chunk loading system combined with realistically flowing water will lead to unintended consequences. Water flowing out of oceans off the edge of the world where chunks have yet to load, for example, much like how in Dwarf Fortress, rivers flowing through the fortress' site flow off the edge into nothing, which you can see by how the water's depth at the edge suddenly drops.
!!&!!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #8739 on: April 07, 2011, 09:07:04 am »

GIGO i say. The computer does what we tell it, not the other way around. Just have the edge of the loaded chunk not drain liquids. Im sure its more complicated that that, but I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE. Notch is rich and lazy, and to be honest, I WOULD BE TOO! I got nothing bad to say about Notch (except rich and lazy).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:10:35 am by ductape »
I got nothing

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8740 on: April 07, 2011, 09:48:32 am »

Sound's like Notch's finally coming out from the lingering effects of Peter Molyneux exposure.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8741 on: April 07, 2011, 11:17:19 am »

I don't think the liquid system is a failure at all.

It's interesting, the mechanics are not immediately obvious but are understandable, and the behavior can be exploited in clever ways.

I think that "liquid drains downward whenever it can" would be more frustrating overall.

(And draining a water feature is a stone-cold bitch, I definitely realize that.  IC's autominers combined with extractor pipes will make it less tedious, once they only target liquid-source blocks.)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8742 on: April 07, 2011, 11:27:18 am »

I want Notch to add in water and magma flows that are something, anything MORE LIKE REALITY. Like draining a lake, etc. I dont need no stinking snow, WTF is that gonna do?

I know he wont do this because he failed early on and gave up and gave us his "solution". It seems to me that this is the type of thing that cant be modded either. OH well, I bet someone else will make a better game that has this someday...
This douchy bullshit again?

Minecraft is ultimately about building junk. Notch could add a water system with better flows and stuff, but it's very difficult to make good-looking flows easily and deal with people exploiting it. The current system works well for people who want to use liquids and flows in constructions. A 'better' flow system may fit the world generated lakes and oceans better, but it would be a pain in the ass to manipulate in constructions. Waterfalls would be impossible and such.

And I'm not gonna allow this passive-aggressive whining about how somebody else is gonna surpass him because he makes terrible decisions that are not specifically what you want now instead of any other conceivable feature ever. Go ahead and say you wanted something else added so we can ignore that idiotic response.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8743 on: April 07, 2011, 11:32:23 am »

I just got a nice Idea~
Testing it out.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8744 on: April 07, 2011, 01:29:23 pm »

This douchy bullshit again?

Minecraft is ultimately about building junk. Notch could add a water system with better flows and stuff, but it's very difficult to make good-looking flows easily and deal with people exploiting it. The current system works well for people who want to use liquids and flows in constructions. A 'better' flow system may fit the world generated lakes and oceans better, but it would be a pain in the ass to manipulate in constructions. Waterfalls would be impossible and such.

And I'm not gonna allow this passive-aggressive whining about how somebody else is gonna surpass him because he makes terrible decisions that are not specifically what you want now instead of any other conceivable feature ever. Go ahead and say you wanted something else added so we can ignore that idiotic response.
Such anger...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 1380