Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419685 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8700 on: April 06, 2011, 01:57:59 pm »

no water at all. there is no water at that depth..

are you sure more light would fix it? a long time ago, slimes were completely immune from the effects of light. might be worth a try, I have plenty of coal to make more torches. but my tunnels are rather long...

by the way, bronze pickaxes are great! all the benefits of iron pickaxes, can mine all new materials at great speed, and unlike iron, the materials used to craft it are extremely common! more common than coal, in fact. I could make a full chest of them, and I would be able to get back the copper and tin used just by mining the veins that are on my tunnel walls and I just ignored. Finally an use for all that ore!

a question: do water mills work with running water? I saw a video in which they seemed to be able to do so.
If they can work in that way, I got an idea for a rather large water turbine... I just need to understand what effect do surrounding blocks have on them. if it works, all I need is a sea, an incredible big room and unbelievable quantities of iron. Hopefully, the experimental generator will make enough power for the automatic miners to give me all the iron I need.

edit: i believe vertical axis is y. and if I moved up, I would not find diamonds... I think I'll deal with slimes. they are not dangerous anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: April 06, 2011, 02:16:45 pm »

Vertical axis is Z, X and Y are the horizontal ones (with one of them being east/west and the other being north/south).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: April 06, 2011, 02:24:05 pm »

Is there any way to stop slimes from spawning? it is annoying to kill them every time I mine in my deep tunnels.
I'm not certain it applies to slimes but no other hostile mobs will spawn on half blocks, it's not the ideal solution, though.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: April 06, 2011, 02:39:48 pm »

Vertical axis is Z, X and Y are the horizontal ones (with one of them being east/west and the other being north/south).

Z is the vertical axis in math, but in minecraft Y takes that role. press F3 to see your coordinates, and jump. Z won't change, Y will.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: April 06, 2011, 02:46:27 pm »

False.  Minecraft coordinates:
X = South, North
Y = Up, Down
Z = East, West (this is why east always used to face up in the old Cartograph shots.  Not sure if they've been corrected in Cartograph itself, but I know c10t's renders are rotated)
Those are in +/- order, by the way.
Everything you know is a lie.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:48:33 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: April 06, 2011, 03:05:12 pm »

Andrea, yeah. They do.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: April 06, 2011, 03:31:30 pm »

I just started the experimental reactor! so far, it seems to generate power regularly.
while 2 watermills take quite a bit of time to fill a battery,  I think there is lots of room for improvement. for example, just switching to a cross design should almost double power output. Building it in a pit, instead of a tank in a smallish room where leaks are a concern should allow better watering of the area surrouding the mills. and the full turbine design should multiply output further.

also, I should be able to create a quite long MFE battery, to store power.

I'll make solar outdated!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: April 06, 2011, 03:43:14 pm »

Are large MFE batteries still needed? You can extend MFEs with energy crystals now, I don't know if there's a max limit on it though, if there is, I haven't reached it.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: April 06, 2011, 03:55:07 pm »

Are large MFE batteries still needed? You can extend MFEs with energy crystals now, I don't know if there's a max limit on it though, if there is, I haven't reached it.
In the last version for 1.3 (as I still haven't updated because all of my mods aren't) it was 500,000 (or exactly 11 crystals -- but a bug dropped your current amount to 60,000 every time you left the world, so it was a bit useless)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: April 06, 2011, 03:58:40 pm »

extended MFEs have some bugs I heard, which makes the added capacity much less useful. beside, MFE help reducing energy loss due to cable length, so even if I am not going to store anything, they are still useful.

I just noticed something about the experimental generator... it is slow! painfully slow! and I barely have any space to extend it. and no iron.

well, I'll find some while I dig the thousands of tiles needed for the real generator... I am aiming for 100 watermills totals. but I'll leave some space to build more... watermills generate almost nothing.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: April 06, 2011, 04:06:47 pm »

You probably figured this out already but every water source tile surrounding the watermill increases output, including up down and diagonals.  Even with all tiles under water source tiles the output is still less than stellar but it seems worth the build anywhere ability windmills and solar panels lack.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: April 06, 2011, 04:11:53 pm »

As far as I can tell, the only really space effective way to do watermills with most sides is to make the wires look like a sideways F, and do a few rows of those with one square of water filled space in between them.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: April 06, 2011, 04:27:42 pm »

Well, the extended MFEs in my world seem to hold their extensions upon leaving and entering now. As of.... Industrialcraft 5.05, I think? I'm still on Minecraft 1.4. I only added one crystal, but it seems to be fine at 100000.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8713 on: April 06, 2011, 04:30:27 pm »

space effective? the meaning of that word is unknown to me.

besides, that design takes a lot of horizontal space. I am going for a vertical design, with water sources at the top and water flowing( with some water sources added at each row to compensate the shielding effect of cables and mills).

while I don't care about space, resources are going to be a big problem... I need a MFE for each 4 watermills, which is extremely wasteful
nevermind, I thought about another way... which would have to half the number of watermills, but take the number of MFE needed to 0, if I understand wires correctly.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: April 06, 2011, 04:37:10 pm »

You will always need some MFEs. You can't join current otherwise.

And remember, while you are mining out that space, you may well encounter more than enough tin and copper for all your needs. Remember, those two can be combined in a certain way to make iron, which was already posted.

Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 1380