Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419893 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8625 on: April 04, 2011, 02:11:24 pm »

Does anyone have anu tips for mining iron?  I dig long tunnels, but all I find are tons of tin and copper. in which layers should I dig for optimal results?
I get lotsa iron by cherry-picking caves I find while diamond mining.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: April 04, 2011, 02:21:38 pm »

Does anyone have anu tips for mining iron?  I dig long tunnels, but all I find are tons of tin and copper. in which layers should I dig for optimal results?
There's a secret recipe for blending tin and copper to get iron.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: April 04, 2011, 02:39:13 pm »

Just poking around in caves should do you fine.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: April 04, 2011, 02:51:45 pm »

that would work, if I had any cave to work with. the few I found had iron, but to get more I would have to walk rather far from spawn, more than 1 day. and since beds don't seem to change spawn points for me, I'd rather avoid that until I get a tunnel network done.
( which , by the way, would solve the lack of iron most likely...)

well, I suppose I'll just dig more until I find veins or caves. and pray that I don't find tin and copper... I find so much tin and copper ore that I am leaving it on the wall... and it is annoyingly slow to mine with a stone pickaxe.

next time, I will learn to not dig straight down while carrying the last iron ores I have...

anyway, to the first one who answer goes the choice of where I dig: shallow or deep?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: April 04, 2011, 02:56:13 pm »

anyway, to the first one who answer goes the choice of where I dig: shallow or deep?
Iron is distributed evenly between level 4 and 50... doesn't matter how deep you go.  Above 50 it gets rarer and rarer.  (This is for stock Minecraft... not sure if Mr. Heyo changed that.)

Edit:  The best location for strip mining is between 4 and 20.  You get a chance for all types of ore/diamond/redstone in those levels.

Edit2:  It's in German, but: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/File:PercentOfOreByHeight.png
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:04:00 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: April 04, 2011, 03:04:21 pm »

There's a secret recipe for blending tin and copper to get iron.

Any hints? I know you can make bronze, which is listed in the post anyway, so I wouldn't consider it secret.

Using ore? Dust? Ingots?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: April 04, 2011, 03:10:45 pm »

well, you only have 512 recipes with dust, and 512 with ingots in the 3x3 box
I would suggest using the 2x2 first though.

if there is ingot and dust mixed together however...

edit: by the way, digging in the deep tunnels I found a cave. the first thing I see in it is a creeper... but I survived. the advice to dig deep worked wonderfully, thanks to the great power of LUCK! thank you.

edit2: 20 tin veins. 15 copper. 2 gold. and only one iron vein! I hate this seed. "fires of industry" works worse than I thought... sure, it has enough industrialcraft materials to drown me... but what kind of industry can I have if I have to spend all my time mining for few pockets of iron?

luckily the miner project is going to be completed soon, ending forever all iron shortages!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:31:17 pm by andrea »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: April 04, 2011, 03:23:05 pm »

Building a castle on some plains I found. About 42x42 blocks and built around a lava pit. Which will obviously be incorperated into a massive lighting/heating/trash system.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: April 04, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »

well, you only have 512 recipes with dust, and 512 with ingots in the 3x3 box
I would suggest using the 2x2 first though.

if there is ingot and dust mixed together however...

edit: by the way, digging in the deep tunnels I found a cave. the first thing I see in it is a creeper... but I survived. the advice to dig deep worked wonderfully, thanks to the great power of LUCK! thank you.
It makes me wonder if anyone has made a recipe finder (or if it's even possible...) that just spams the field until an item is generated in the output and logs it.

On top of that, generate a list of items you can make with the items you have on you...  maybe provide a click list for "quick make"
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: April 04, 2011, 03:33:11 pm »

From what I understand Minecraft is just going to continuously go towards legos.

It is a shame for me though. I was hoping those legos could be used for gameplay.

I am still surprised they havn't added a catapult yet... Not for actually catapulting things... but for catapulting players.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:38:58 pm by Neonivek »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: April 04, 2011, 03:38:46 pm »

From what I understand Minecraft is just going to continuously go towards legos.

It is a shame for me though. I was hoping those legos could be used for gameplay.
Why couldn't they?  If I'm not mistaken, there were plans for some more survival aspects.  I heard talk of generated dungeons (besides the spawners) but I don't know what happened to those.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: April 04, 2011, 03:40:22 pm »

Basically what happened Andir is the community.

or rather what the player base at large wants.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: April 04, 2011, 03:41:21 pm »

if I destroy an automated miner with a wrench, do I get 95% chance of getting it back, or do I just get nothing? last time I tried i got nothing. it is annoying to lose it, because glowstone is needed to craft it and my nether spawn point is rather bad for harvesting more.

pre-edit: the community always ruins everything.
unluckily, they are also the ones who pay the bills, so it is hard to avoid it.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: April 04, 2011, 03:43:34 pm »

Basically what happened Andir is the community.

or rather what the player base at large wants.

"Achievements" ...now really when i read about it i wanted to go for a killing spree, they are pure evil to me.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: April 04, 2011, 03:44:08 pm »

if I destroy an automated miner with a wrench, do I get 95% chance of getting it back, or do I just get nothing? last time I tried i got nothing. it is annoying to lose it, because glowstone is needed to craft it and my nether spawn point is rather bad for harvesting more.

pre-edit: the community always ruins everything.
unluckily, they are also the ones who pay the bills, so it is hard to avoid it.

Are you right clicking with the wrench?

AFAIK the wrench is supposed to guarantee recovery of all IndustrialCraft mechanisms.

As far as Minecraft's future: as long as the ability exists to mod the game on the level of, or better, that's being done now, I don't think it matters if the vanilla game is limited to simply a computerized lego fantasy. I'd be concerned that the upcoming integrated mod API would actually be more rigid and limiting than the mods derived from hacks, simply because he might not want to expose the entire game to modding.

That said, there might still be more things that need integrated support that can't simply be achieved right now. I know there are villages and things out already, though I don't know how intelligent they are. I wouldn't mind seeing scripted scenarios, based on loose objectives and timing, so that you could replicate, for example, Dungeon Keeper's gameplay. Multi-tile buildings (for ex. an MFE could be a 7 tile 3D cross). Maybe extra planes of existence and not just the Nether.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:52:48 pm by Niveras »
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 1380