Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420006 times)

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8220 on: March 25, 2011, 11:44:00 pm »

Hmm... Would it be possible to stack up a bunch of MFEs to act as a giant power storage unit, for putting dem solars to use while you are out traveling/on a week long mining binge to get more uran for that greedy little nuke.

My understanding is that there is currently no way to relay the information that a given MFE is full to other blocks, so you can't charge them all to full by setting up a daisychain that stops emitting power as the next unit reaches full capacity. Instead, you'd have to use redstone to stop the MFEs you want to charge from emitting power while avoiding putting any MFEs that you want to charge between them and the power source. Keep in mind that at each cable branch, 10% of power is lost and the remainder split between branches.
... and then it explodes!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8221 on: March 26, 2011, 12:09:46 am »

EDIT: This post merged into a later one.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:50:31 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8222 on: March 26, 2011, 01:03:29 am »

If you keep a redstone charge on it, it will not emit anything unless it is full.  So, if you daisy-chain them vertical-out-to-horizontal-in, power the very top or bottom, and attach a redstone current to them all, it will slowly fill the entire stack from source to end.

I'd been trying to find a way to make it operate with the output end receiving full charge first and as a result charging starting from the input end hadn't even occurred to me. Bravo, sir.
... and then it explodes!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8223 on: March 26, 2011, 01:09:47 am »

If you keep a redstone charge on it, it will not emit anything unless it is full.  So, if you daisy-chain them vertical-out-to-horizontal-in, power the very top or bottom, and attach a redstone current to them all, it will slowly fill the entire stack from source to end.

I'd been trying to find a way to make it operate with the output end receiving full charge first and as a result charging starting from the input end hadn't even occurred to me. Bravo, sir.
For the record, I edited my post after you quoted it to remove a very specific instance of vagueness...
power the very top or bottom
Not-so-obviously referring to whether you built it with the power ascending or descending (because both up/down work as outputs), not either end of the actual system.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8224 on: March 26, 2011, 01:22:19 am »

Jay, that is insane. I commend you for being a fucking tech GENIUS!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8225 on: March 26, 2011, 01:27:36 am »

hell, nm, I scrolled right past that recipe... I wish this thread was laid out better with less "HAYO!"
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 01:30:43 am by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8226 on: March 26, 2011, 01:52:26 am »

Anyone know if Obsidian is Nuke Proof? I could theoretically test it myself but I'm a coward. And I also have my nuclear reactor encased in Obsidian except for the top, which has two water blocks over it.
It's also behind my gigantic beacon tower made out of obsidian, which is probably within nuke range.
!!&!!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8227 on: March 26, 2011, 02:06:20 am »

Anyone know if Obsidian is Nuke Proof? I could theoretically test it myself but I'm a coward. And I also have my nuclear reactor encased in Obsidian except for the top, which has two water blocks over it.
It's also behind my gigantic beacon tower made out of obsidian, which is probably within nuke range.
Just tested this. Obsidian is Nuke-Proof.
Also, a few notable mods here. Glass lights(lights that can be turned on/off), Turrets, Rope, and Trapdoors. Well, actually all of these because there's long-distance redstone transmitters, tripwires, pitfalls, and he has an on-hold project that makes water finite.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8228 on: March 26, 2011, 02:23:21 am »

*excellent story*

Any other news on this would be great, seeing as there doesn't seem to be anybody else chronicling it.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #8229 on: March 26, 2011, 03:50:57 am »

Crimony, you folks are getting up to some -ridiculous- stuff all in here. I mean, I'm still piddling about with unmodded Minecraft, building castles and big ol' mines and such.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8230 on: March 26, 2011, 07:35:17 am »

*excellent story*
Any other news on this would be great, seeing as there doesn't seem to be anybody else chronicling it.
I know this makes me look like an elitist prick, but you'll have to check the Penny Arcade forums for the information. There is a strict policy on that. It should be in the first three posts of the Minecraft thread in the Games and Tech forum.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8231 on: March 26, 2011, 07:56:26 am »

I'm totally joining - Duke, I'm gonna go to Earth once I get around to doing so.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8232 on: March 26, 2011, 09:33:37 am »

Anyone else think Notch should cut the length/width of the world in half and increase the height? More to dig and build upwards with. Maybe even be able to have another world, like the moon. Like the nether but you need a special suit and stuff.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8233 on: March 26, 2011, 09:52:15 am »

Considering that the length of the world doesn't matter when it's loaded/generated as you move to it, making it half the surface area of the world to add height won't make it work any faster than just adding the height anyway. The only real way he could manage to add more height would be to add vertical chunks. And rewrite the lighting engine. So basically he would have to gut two of the largest resource hogs and technical features.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8234 on: March 26, 2011, 10:46:54 am »

Ya, I think I will go for the solar route. I am tired of using up every bit of coal to burn or create fuel.

I need a lot of batteries, I am smelting huge amounts of sand and stone for my first big project. Shall I post screenshots of where it currently is at?
Pages: 1 ... 547 548 [549] 550 551 ... 1380