Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419567 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8205 on: March 25, 2011, 07:40:31 pm »

I've just tried the seed "Gifted".

Give it a try... You will see insane things, like floating single blocks of ore and dirt all over the place.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: March 25, 2011, 08:52:23 pm »

So I'm not particularly savvy when it comes to mods for Minecraft (shame on me, blah blah blah), so I must ask. Through the use of a modloader or what have you, is it possible to activate and deactivate mods on the fly so I can use Industrialcraft offline and vanilla online?

Meeny tanks.
Well, there's the way I do it, which I've already described, and Greiger has so kindly linked.
Not normally no.  But Jay gives a way to do it by either downloading a special minecraft.exe or how to do it with windows batch files here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35804.msg2087161#msg2087161
Alternatively, there's not actually any problem with running the modloader while connecting to a server.  Just don't craft any items that don't exist normally, and obviously special block changes (like Minecart Mania -- although that one is serverside in Jaycraft's case) won't work [it might appear to, but not actually].

Right now, I'm running three sets:
A-Modded (Industrial)
B-Textured (For general prettiness, mostly on the servers)
C-Vanilla (Self-explanatory)
They're all in their own folders, with their own saves.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that the new launcher cannot change the data directory, contrary to what Rex said a few posts after my post that Greiger linked to.  It allows you to open said directory, but not change it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:55:11 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: March 25, 2011, 08:53:04 pm »

So I'm not particularly savvy when it comes to mods for Minecraft (shame on me, blah blah blah), so I must ask. Through the use of a modloader or what have you, is it possible to activate and deactivate mods on the fly so I can use Industrialcraft offline and vanilla online?

Meeny tanks.
You'd need to keep separate worlds, and a vanilla copy of minecraft on hand.
I can actually play on Online vanilla servers with Industricalcraft installed just fine

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: March 25, 2011, 08:58:37 pm »

My game keeps crashes when I try to make a new world. Help

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: March 25, 2011, 09:07:47 pm »

Industrial Mod is so awesome.

I just need to figure out how to properly use the new capacitors and the wiring. Any tips from someone who has that stuff working? Would be sweet to set up a bunch of solar generators, wire them up to those capacitors, and let it roll.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: March 25, 2011, 09:10:26 pm »

So, this post is full of spoilers for a reason. I apologize in advance to anyone using a slower connection!

This is my current single player work in progress. Texture pack is Gerudoku.

Spoiler: Waterside view (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Further view (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Angled view (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Looking east (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gatehouse upstairs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gatehouse trade depot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: One of 3 barracks (click to show/hide)

Anyways I've got more photos but I don't want to make this too terrible on anyone's internet connection! It still needs a lot of work, but construction is slowing since I ran out of cobblestone and logs. What a shame!
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: March 25, 2011, 09:40:53 pm »

I just caught a pegasus! Yay!  I'm gunna name her Rainbowdash and give her a nice cozy home with a large toggleable 4x4 floodgate for a roof and never let her see the sun again unless I'm riding her because the outside world is too unsafe for her!

^ I'm sure that is gunna end up in the out of context quotes thread.

Industrial Mod is so awesome.

I just need to figure out how to properly use the new capacitors and the wiring. Any tips from someone who has that stuff working? Would be sweet to set up a bunch of solar generators, wire them up to those capacitors, and let it roll.

I don't tout myself as an expert yet but I have them able to pull power from a souce more or less.  And yea solar generaters are godlike on these things.  I have two hooked up to one capacitor and it's outperforming my nuclear reactor.  Those things are awesome hooked up to something so build and forget like solar panels.

Anyway you need to hook them up to your generator using cables, redstone won't do it.  And they only seem to receive power from a cable directly above or below them.  If you want them to actually store energy instead of just immediately discharge it you have to apply an on redstone signal to the block.

Also you can only have ONE cable leading into the block per side. One on top, one on the bottom.  That's kinda hard to explain, but I guess the best way to say it is that you can't have a cable split directly out of the capacitor.  It seems it has to go for a tile or two without splitting before you can split the cable to get multiple inputs.  But also if the wires get too long you start losing power to the wire's internal resistance, just like in reality, so try to keep yer wire runs short.

Sadly I currently don't have much experience getting them to discharge into something other than a battery.  It's too hard to tell if something's receiving power or not.

P.S. Why the hell do people manage to make my castles I'm massively proud of look crappy?  That looks awesome Logical.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: March 25, 2011, 10:38:02 pm »

I just caught a pegasus! Yay!  I'm gunna name her Rainbowdash and give her a nice cozy home with a large toggleable 4x4 floodgate for a roof and never let her see the sun again unless I'm riding her because the outside world is too unsafe for her!
I can't wait till you accidentally go 5 chunks away and she unspawns  :P
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: March 25, 2011, 10:45:25 pm »

I can't wait till you accidentally go 5 chunks away and she unspawns  :P
Tamed horses don't despawn, I don't think.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: March 25, 2011, 10:56:17 pm »

Hmm the map from the Nations at War bit is supposedly going to be released eventually for everyone, if it hasn't been already.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: March 25, 2011, 11:16:28 pm »

And yea solar generaters are godlike on these things.  I have two hooked up to one capacitor and it's outperforming my nuclear reactor.
I'm going to call bullshit on that.
I have five nuclear reactors generating now, and my parallel circuit with around 100 solar panels doesn't generate at nearly the same speed, even though it's fully MFE-efficient.
The actual numbers even back this up, to an extent.
5:100 ratio should actually be about even.  My discrepancy above is because I'm not about to go and count them all individually :P
Code: [Select]
Nuclear Reactor: 20 EUs
Geothermal Generator: 5 EUs
Generator:  5 EUs
Watermill: 4 EUs
Solar Generator: 1 EUs

Here's some tips regarding the MFEs:
DO NOT COMBINE WITHOUT THEM
Somewhat like reality (in which nobody would ever even consider a direct generator-generator connection, like hooking a diesel generator up to the mains in your home), you absolutely cannot (just a huge efficiency loss in this case) combine multiple generator lines (even if they're the same type of generator) without one of these.
Think of them as a transformer as well as a "capacitor".
They're one-way, somewhat like an actual capacitor, so attach your IN connections horizontally and OUT vertically, and don't short the two.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:19:29 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: March 25, 2011, 11:23:58 pm »

Outperforming my nuclear reactor as in "I'm too busy to keep feeding rare bars into my reactor half a mile away outperforming"  Yea direct speed wise it can't compete, but my Nuclear reactor is only on about 5% of the time, if that.  Solar panels are on 50% of the time.  Even if I'm way off someplace because I forgot to bring a compass.

When I spend 2 days flying around looking for pumpkins for horse breeding or spend days building a highly secure high tech flying horse stable and come back and the solar panels produced more power than my reactor I call it that.

EDIT: So I guess what I'm saying is that I feel solar panels outperform because with all other power sources you have to remain somewhat near so you can keep feeding the 'furnace' limiting your productivity.

With a solar panel you might not even need to keep the chunk loaded.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:30:22 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: March 25, 2011, 11:27:08 pm »

Hmm... Would it be possible to stack up a bunch of MFEs to act as a giant power storage unit, for putting dem solars to use while you are out traveling/on a week long mining binge to get more uran for that greedy little nuke.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: March 25, 2011, 11:34:50 pm »

When I glanced  at the thread on it somebody suggested that and the mod creator said that it doesn't work well.  He lost me explaining it but I think the gist was that they end up feeding power into each-other or something instead of just storing it, and that causes it to lose power

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: March 25, 2011, 11:36:35 pm »

Oh. Does linking them horizontally work, or is that out too?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 546 547 [548] 549 550 ... 1380