Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419695 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8190 on: March 25, 2011, 01:06:53 pm »

I'd be up for it if Minecraft Multiplayer didn't consistently give my PC a BSoD.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: March 25, 2011, 01:56:13 pm »

Games in general gave my old laptop a BSoD. Got a worse one, plays em fine.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: March 25, 2011, 01:56:49 pm »

I would definitely be all up ons that idea. I don't think we have any PvP servers here.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: March 25, 2011, 02:31:54 pm »

You can PvP in minecraft? Noeeees! *cannonfodder*

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8194 on: March 25, 2011, 02:54:40 pm »

I think these village and war mods are too involved. I'd like to see a war mod that remains somewhat flexible and light.

For instance, there could be a number of "totems", effectively control points, scattered around the map. They could be captured in a few different ways, from merely being nearby, to some procedure requiring special resources. When you respawn, you appear at a totem controlled by your team. The goal would be to first capture all totems, then wipe out the other side. The presence of mobs would force nearly-defeated teams to try to capture totems, less they be finished by creepers.

There are a few overhead elements this would imply; teams, chat channels, presumably some kind of new block for totems and it's related behavior. Virtually everything else would remain unchanged; players would build defenses around totems however they feel is necessary.

I'm thinking totem captures could be something requiring as much as an hour a piece; you might begin a capture by placing a block by the totem, and then preventing the defending team from removing it. Naturally, you can't spawn at a totem under siege.

The number of totems, teams, and players could be a pretty wide range. Two players with a dozen totems, two teams with one flaglike totem each, ten single-man teams with a single totem each, or a battle royale with three teams among 20 players on a map littered with totems.

As for the placement of these totems, they would presumably be on the surface, but floating or subterranean totems would work fine as well.

Possibly, a  pregame period could allow the teams to place the totems wherever they like within certain ranges.

Other little plugins to this come naturally; maybe a bank for gold storage, so that the teams get a small trickle of metal, gunpowder, arrows, and other useful supplies, as long as the gold is there. Missions to steal enemy gold could be a separate tactical layer. Other plugins could be anything; connections between totems, totems granting special abilities to teams that hold them, neutral mob totems that spawn monsters until captured, FFI systems for traps so your dispensers only dispense arrows to enemies, helmets that disguise you as the other team(s)...

Despite all that though, the basics are all clear to a new player immediately; get your totem, get the bad guy's totem, hit the bad guy with pointies.

Man, now I really want to host this mod.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8195 on: March 25, 2011, 03:06:59 pm »

The only problem I see with these pvp servers is the nameplates. Are these turned off somehow?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: March 25, 2011, 03:07:15 pm »

Store on Collision
At least that one is incompatible with the modloader, which in turn breaks compatibility with just about everything.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: March 25, 2011, 04:31:51 pm »

Each nation has a shrine in their Capitol that holds around 300 tokens representing their nation. The challenge for the week was to have the most so you could get a prize from the Magistrates. Air told Fire through the room to burn their tokens. It was then that the head Admin(Ein, not our Ein, a different Ein and for all intents and purposes I'll be referencing him unless stating otherwise) decided things had gone too far and told Fire that it was an Air trick.

Fire was angry that Ein had not told them the trick, and burned all their tokens in protest to the old gods. The Magistrates came down and slaughtered every last Fire nationer and tore their island asunder. But word came out on the deception, and the other nations were enraged.

Earth was in a very strong alliance with Air, coming to their defense multiple times and being the best bros. They seemed to have major problems with the system and never had enough bows or arrows or always seemed to die because they couldn't wear armor. When we heard that they tricked Fire into utterly removing our ability to build on the Mainland and causing several guys to quit because the 'griefing' was too much we were ballistic. So ballistic and also angry at Ein for not telling us that we also burned all our tokens, to which we got the same fate as Fire.

But there was one common cause: Every nation invaded Air at once for the ultimate ball busting of the game. It turns out their complaints of too few bows and arrows and ease of dying in no armor were tricks. They had thousands of arrows ready and at least two full chests of bows. They put up a really good defense, but they could not save their altar from being ransacked.

Holy shit, this is honest Battle of the Gods, creation-myth shit.  It honestly sounds like Air was the most effective, both in their dickwad metagaming but also in ordinary Mnecrafting, if they managed to manipulate everybody and had an earthshaking arsenal.  But damn, that is cool when you put it that way.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: March 25, 2011, 05:10:43 pm »

I would definitely be all up ons that idea. I don't think we have any PvP servers here.
As amazing as it sounds all my pvp tries were too lagy to enjoy. Must be because either my inet sux or i'm very far away (also it could be that server are laggy by default). That in mind i suggest some sort of strategy (e.g. building factories that make creeps? :)  and sending them to the enemy) or economic simulations also rpg (if any one has an idea worth rpg name not some "dig to gain xp and dig faster"). E.g idea for RPG: some amount of people are apointed as designers (or game masters -GM) they build in most of the world creating dungeons and castles, placing mobs (or mob spawn points) allocating quests. As for others they could build in towns or maybe even some server could allow all players to be GMs. Most of more complicated things (like scriptable monsters and more complex quest) may need to wait for minecraft to support mods (officialy) but rest could be done with bukkit.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: March 25, 2011, 05:21:21 pm »

The new cable update to IndustrialCraft is awesome.  I don't have to go out and check my terraformers anymore, I just attached that reactor from earlier to a huge cablenet :3
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: March 25, 2011, 05:34:37 pm »

Is is possible to reclaim any of the industrialcraft machines once they're removed? I'm hoping to shift locations, having mined out my old base, but I'm worried about losing access to my wonderful labor-saving devices.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:38:27 pm by HLBeta »
... and then it explodes!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: March 25, 2011, 06:14:49 pm »

Store on Collision
At least that one is incompatible with the modloader, which in turn breaks compatibility with just about everything.
Works for me. :P With Store On Collision, you usually have to install other mods on top of it. ModLoader seems just fine with it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: March 25, 2011, 06:35:08 pm »

Is is possible to reclaim any of the industrialcraft machines once they're removed? I'm hoping to shift locations, having mined out my old base, but I'm worried about losing access to my wonderful labor-saving devices.

I hear many of them just turn into machine parts.  Which is annoying because my setup REALLY is not set up to take advantage of these new capacitors.  Pretty much all my new toys are in one super compact 2x5 block of metal.

Except my nuke reactor.  That sucker's half a mile away, in a cave under the ocean, surrounded by sandstone and submerged on all sides except for one side with a cable going to a fancy new supercapacitor.  Using the reactor with that is a HELL of a lot easier than babysitting the thing with batteries.  I don't even have the capacitor hooked up to any loads, I just use it as an instant battery recharger.

EDIT: Oh wow, these capacitor things give solar generators a new lease on life.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:01:16 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8203 on: March 25, 2011, 06:56:11 pm »

Not normally no.  But Jay gives a way to do it by either downloading a special minecraft.exe or how to do it with windows batch files here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35804.msg2087161#msg2087161
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: March 25, 2011, 07:03:03 pm »

So I'm not particularly savvy when it comes to mods for Minecraft (shame on me, blah blah blah), so I must ask. Through the use of a modloader or what have you, is it possible to activate and deactivate mods on the fly so I can use Industrialcraft offline and vanilla online?

Meeny tanks.
You'd need to keep separate worlds, and a vanilla copy of minecraft on hand.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 1380