Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420009 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8085 on: March 20, 2011, 07:22:52 pm »

The way I build when I want the look of wood or planks is with a sandwich of wood of choice/sandstone or cobble/wood of choice. That way, I get the look, but if a fire breaks out, I have a safety net.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: March 20, 2011, 07:28:04 pm »

Mo Creatures mod, I'm guessing. There's a setting to make hunters, like the lion, not target horses.

Mo' Creatures also has birds, sharks, dolphins, WOLVES, Pegasus, and others. Tamed critters do not despawn. It's been around since last year.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8087 on: March 20, 2011, 07:28:58 pm »

I just thought up an interesting, albeit slow, fuse/trap/mechanism. Using Netherrack as a long-standing torch, give the torch (which would be inside a tomb of your design) a wooden ceiling/hidden placement surrounded by stone to hide it in the darkness, set it in a way that your only choice is to use flint/steel to set it alight, and make use of the fuse as a sort of timer device. If you run out of time, the sand/gravel floor will begin to collapse.

I think this would work best in a sand castle/dungeon; and the requirement to light up the torch would be to either open up a hidden door (regular sand that drops like the rest of the main floor), or a wooden door that gets burned off by the radiant heat and opens up the dungeon, as well as sets off a fuse that gives you a ;limited time to solve a puzzle so you can mine out the obsidian exit with the diamond pickaxe at the end of the dungeon. Of course, that will take limited time as well to achieve. I dunno.

Good use of MCEdit and setting up the sandcastle foundation drop trap and fuse with it is necessary. This is designed to be a slow fuse/trap unlike the swift water/torch drop method.

I may need to take a moment to craft some samples of what I'm talking about. but overall, if it works how I envision it to, it should look really cool when it triggers.

One way of making and hiding it is making a sand/gravel floor and ceiling sandwich with the wood (hidden between and above/below the netherrack torch (in this case, below the netherrack block)). The radiant heat will burn the wood beneath the netherrack, and slowly burn the connecting wood blocks until 1 sand/gravel block falls, causing a chain-reaction of falling sand/gravel. This can be used to interesting effect. Secret passageways anyone? Or total dick move traps?

EDIT:
These slow fuses can also apply to TNT traps as well. Ooh, this can be used for many a nasty idea.

EDIT EDIT:
Just tested a couple concepts. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as I thought it would. Oh well. We might still be able to make drop-traps however. Fire climbs upward, so upward fuse, destroy a wood block with it, drop a sand block onto a pressure plate that activates a redstone insta-fuse.

Did Notch change how fire works with any of the updates? Oh wait, we can still use leaves as fuses, provided a wood block once in awhile to keep them lively. Anyhow, as impractical at times it may seem, creeper dust (gunpowder/sulpher) should be placeable as a fuse that can be lit up, unlike redstone, it has a delay and must be lit.

Alternatively, we can always use magma tiles that can be cut off at a certain point, as to not flood the tomb with magma, as well as still activate traps. On that note, have it setup as a trap in itself, where you have a series of torches encased in stone and 3 windows, except you have to make the right choice, as some ceilings of those will drop sand immediately on top of the flame, and put it out, or collapse the fragile sand/gravel ceiling, or let loose with a sample of hell and flood you with magma (or a fake-out with water in the dark; water/magma source tile to entirely flood); or a combination of a sand/gravel ceiling collapse with a magma/water chaser.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
The collapse-a-fuse worked wonders. Netherrack, wood ceiling for the lantern, sand planted right on top of the wood that burns off. sand falls and chains with the rest of the sand it's linked with, reaches the collapsable sand ceiling with magma atop it, area is now a magmarium. Mind you, the trapped ceiling with the magma was sufficiently high enough, and the lantern was a pillar that reaches up to the ceiling. I would suggest about 5 tiles of height minimum.

When I have the time, I'll see if I can make a testing ground so you can see some of my ideas that wood burning and sand-fall trap combos can show potential for. Someone has to make an Egyptian tomb or something.The front door is the only way in, and let's say two main treasures are needed to get out. One treasure chest contains enough ladders to exit from the bottom of the tomb out to the top of it, or out of a sphinx's nose, and the other treasure chest has diamond equipment. You start the tomb with only a few torches (let's say 4 of them), some torches can be taken (some rigged to trigger traps), and you will have to burn some doorways or bridges or something, so a steel ingot and a flintstone will be in different chests in the tomb. This is when the cool/fun parts come in, where you have to light the right torches to trigger the right traps and open unseen paths (some sand-falls go a long way from one end to another and drop a high-up sand block onto an arbitrary spot in the main hall's sandy floor (one would be nervous here anyway), and open a hidden ladder passage deeper into the tomb.

We gotta do something about this. Maybe it should belong in Creative Projects?

Mine Raider: The Adventures of Lara Craft

:Cowers as he's beaten to death for his puns:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:24:31 pm by Itnetlolor »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: March 20, 2011, 07:40:07 pm »

I suspect you could make a coil fuse out of netherrack and a chain of wood and at the end have a piece of tnt which is in a casein of obsidian, except for one piece of stone above it, which is itself in a casein of obsidian, except for an in and out line. On the in side, a water source. On the outside, a torch, holding up the sandcastle.

Of course, this assumes tnt is lit by fire, which I'm not sure it does. If it doesn't, replace the tnt and stone blocks with more wood blocks.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: March 20, 2011, 07:59:49 pm »

I have IndustrialCraft so I can cook stuff faster. My home had a hole in it for some reason and a creeper came in and blew up. While I was looking at the damage, another creeper came in and blew up. I was left with 3 hearts and my shelter was destroyed. But not only that, the creeper apparently completely obliterated my extractor and chests. I'm have trouble with iron and an extractor requires 8 refined iron(cooked iron ingots) to make. It was terrible. :(

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: March 20, 2011, 08:18:54 pm »

So does someone have a list of awesome seeds?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: March 20, 2011, 08:41:57 pm »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: March 20, 2011, 09:20:45 pm »

I have IndustrialCraft so I can cook stuff faster. My home had a hole in it for some reason and a creeper came in and blew up. While I was looking at the damage, another creeper came in and blew up. I was left with 3 hearts and my shelter was destroyed. But not only that, the creeper apparently completely obliterated my extractor and chests. I'm have trouble with iron and an extractor requires 8 refined iron(cooked iron ingots) to make. It was terrible. :(
I searched that mod. ITS FUCKIN AWESOME! Seriously. I must try it when I get the chance.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: March 20, 2011, 09:40:28 pm »

Yes TNT can be set off by fire.  I used to make wood fuses for tnt back before redstone came into existence.

Downside is that the wood sometimes isn't all that reliable as a fuse materiel, but it sounds like you have that handled, either that or whatever caused fire to sometimes not spread to an adjacent block was fixed.

P.S. Also unlike redstone it won't set off a whole bunch of TNT at once.  It seems to use the fire spread code to see if a nearby fire should set off a block of TNT or not.  So it's usually one or two blocks going off, and then the explosion setting the others off while flinging them directly into the window of your hastily built bomb shelter.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:44:14 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: March 20, 2011, 09:47:44 pm »

Yay! If there is a material that last longer than wood though, replace it with that. Netherrack is invalid because both that it can only be lit from explosions and that is lasts forever. The fuse needs to burn out. If it didn't, good luck starting over. The hardest part would be getting it to make a consistent time.
But man. I can't help but imagine a minecraftian jumping puzzle on a timer.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: March 20, 2011, 10:08:19 pm »

If you want a five minute timer, there's the method on Kiershar's YouTube channel.

Hook it up to the gravity trap shown on said channel, and it's a trap that goes off in five to ten minutes. But seriously, the gravity trap is awesome: you get a retracting bridge like was in one of the hey0 plugins, then make the entire dungeon roof made of cobble bridge covered in lava. Hook that up to a ten-minute timer. To exit the dungeon, use a slowsand one-way door. They have ten minutes to get to the end before PURGE THE UNCLEAN!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: March 20, 2011, 11:11:07 pm »

I finally has it! Probably going to play it vanilla tonight then try to figure out how to make skins and whatnot tomorrow. What are good mods to use with this?

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: March 20, 2011, 11:21:23 pm »

So I just installed the "store on collision", "automatic furnace", "automatic workbench" and "tracklaying" mods.
Now to build an automatic factory to build everything at the press of a button!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: March 20, 2011, 11:32:19 pm »

I searched that mod. ITS FUCKIN AWESOME! Seriously. I must try it when I get the chance.

Checked out this video for this mod.
'I really want to know what this green stuff is.
Oh, what?
Uran... Uranium!
Wow, this is awesome.'

Do want.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: March 20, 2011, 11:38:19 pm »

Hmm... Pretty neat mods you got there.

Shame if something happened to them....
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 1380