Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420450 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7995 on: March 14, 2011, 04:38:52 pm »

Gentleman.

I bring you a bigger issue:

How does Notch knows it is exactly 50%? Does he times both his work adding new stuff and the work he does with other stuff on minecraft? Furthermore, if the timing is precisely 50%, what's the ratio in terms of efficiency? How does he rates that to reach a precise 50% ratio?

Big questions gentlemen, big questions.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7996 on: March 14, 2011, 04:42:01 pm »

Well if it counts for anything, Notch has stated he was working on mod support. I believe this was mentioned last month or so on his blog. It's probably why we haven't seen much stuff from him, while most of the features we've seen lately have been from Jeb.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7997 on: March 14, 2011, 04:45:01 pm »

Gentleman.

How does Notch knows it is exactly 50%? Does he times both his work adding new stuff and the work he does with other stuff on minecraft? Furthermore, if the timing is precisely 50%, what's the ratio in terms of efficiency? How does he rates that to reach a precise 50% ratio?

He has a good point.

What if Notch is actually god? And is, in fact, omnipotent and omnipresent? And this is how he knows these facts and knows that his employees will listen to him?

We are actually angels, sent down to the world of Minecraft in order to craft it for the Minecraftians to one day live in. They will arrive soon by Notch crafting them. We will be cast into the pit, never to return.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7998 on: March 14, 2011, 04:49:41 pm »

Gentleman.

Obviously, each programmer on his team must carry a stopwatch and start/stop when they switch course.  That's the only way to appease the entitlement seeking customers.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7999 on: March 14, 2011, 04:55:28 pm »

One of the things that has always appealed to me about minecraft and dwarf fortress is the attitude the developers have towards their projects and their work time.

I sense a general atmosphere from certain people throughout the known world. "Notch should do this because I've explicitly bought the product" ... "Notch should do that" ... "Notch should conform to the stereotypical capitalist american ideal of 12 hour days working solidly on advancing the codebase until it represents everything it can possibly be, BECAUSE HE HAS MY MONEY." (that's no longer your money, by the way, you exchanged it for a game in development - nothing more).

And whats wrong with Notch setting up mojang to be the company he wants it to be? To work how he wants to work? At the end of the day his decisions will decide the success or failure, long term, of Mojang.

Besides, employing highly creative individuals and then making them work like Victorian coal-miners doesn't sound like a great idea. Working with your friends and taking lots of time for reflection, thought and other abstract things sounds much more fun, and who knows, more productive? Notch has the opportunity to do this with the success of minecraft, and I applaud him for doing so.

Ultimately he'll be judged long term by the quality of games Mojang put out, and the vocal minority can not lead the direction of the company with reactionary nonsense.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8000 on: March 14, 2011, 05:08:44 pm »

I'd pretty much do exactly what he's doing. Not the specifics, of course, but if I was rich I'd make a game company to create the games I want to make and have fun doing it.

He's already rolling in it at this point, so the only reason for him to continue is because he enjoys it. I'd really rather he didn't get sick of it and just leave us hanging with a half-finished game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: March 14, 2011, 05:46:59 pm »

I'd pretty much do exactly what he's doing. Not the specifics, of course, but if I was rich I'd make a game company to create the games I want to make and have fun doing it.

He's already rolling in it at this point, so the only reason for him to continue is because he enjoys it. I'd really rather he didn't get sick of it and just leave us hanging with a half-finished game.
Yeah, its half-finished i suppose, but honestly, its already better and more fun then most fully finished games out there (as well as being cheaper).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

HastyLumbago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8002 on: March 14, 2011, 06:44:13 pm »

Wow. Look at all this.

I use note blocks. I use note blocks for a variety of things, as a matter of fact. My fortress has a musical alarm system. Based on what note is playing in my control room, I know where the creepers and whatnot are outside, and can rain firey death upon them before opening any of the exits. I also built a minecart ride that plays the Mario underworld theme before dumping you into magma. (for anyone on the observation platform above the magma, it also plays the game over music).

Dispensers were also something pretty awesome. And those delay blocks. And dye. These are all things that have come out semi-recently.

For me, Minecraft has always been about having a box of widgets that I could invent cool things with, or just build lego stuff with. Seriously? When I bought Minecraft, my first thought was "15 dollars for an infinite number of legos? Man, am I a crafty consumer!"

It sounds like some of you want something else. But please, don't call what I like about this game "fluff" and "worthless." I'm thrilled every time Notch and Jeb put new widgets in the box, and clearly,  based on the freaking awesome constructions I see on things like YouTube? I'm not alone.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! And Join Nist Akath Village! We Need Dorfs!

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #8003 on: March 14, 2011, 08:41:41 pm »

I have a minor problem with minecraft. It crases when I gen a world.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #8004 on: March 14, 2011, 08:46:37 pm »

You mean you have a miner problem with crafting a new world?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8005 on: March 14, 2011, 08:47:06 pm »

You mean you have a miner problem with crafting a new world?
:P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8006 on: March 14, 2011, 09:52:09 pm »

As of Beta 1.3. quitting the game will completely freeze your Mac.

There is no escape.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8007 on: March 14, 2011, 10:13:47 pm »

When I had a world-map related problem, it turned out to be because I had changed my XP user privileges from Administrator to Normal User.  The save files were all owned by the Administrators group instead of my account, so I couldn't modify them.

Have you done anything like that recently?

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8008 on: March 14, 2011, 11:47:33 pm »

I can only speak for myself, but I don't feel that I'm 'entitled' to anything in particular from Notch. If he wanted he could declare minecraft finished and I wouldn't feel hard done by as far as the tine amount of money I've spent is concerned. And yes, it is entirely up to him how he runs his company and what he wants to do with it. No arguments there. I only wish that more money/time/resources was being placed on speeding along development, given that it is such a revolutionary game in many ways, and potentially a very great game in itself.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8009 on: March 15, 2011, 12:45:02 am »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

cave, mob spawner, creeper, boom, diamond, 5 min, gone.
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 1380