Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421765 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7635 on: February 23, 2011, 05:54:22 pm »

I actually noticed dirt in trees fairly often.  It actually inspired me to start work on a custom home built out of trees planted on dirt clumps in trees on top of dirt clumps in trees.

I never finished though...Didn't wanna be labeled an elf.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: February 23, 2011, 07:18:31 pm »

Did as above and generated a world using "Andir" as my seed.  Started off on a desert oasis with water to the North, turned to the South and saw a mountain reaching up to the clouds with a stack of sand that looks like a small sphynx... turned west to find three cloud hugging mountains creating a serene lagoon below, giant caverns seemed to peek out from every mountain.  Headed further west past the first set of mountains to a rather deformed mountain with what looked like swiss cheese holes all over it.

Very cool starting spot if you ask me, but I'm bias. ;)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7637 on: February 23, 2011, 08:14:02 pm »

-snip snop-
[Map]
Dead center was the location I was describing in my post, as well as the beach was where I started facing the mountain. Nice. And I gotta try some of these other worlds out. Gonna try my name out.

EDIT:
I got an okay world (With uppercase 'I'). I have a split mountain with a floating neighbor. Makes a good viewpoint. It's not entirely visible on the map, but it's one of the first things you'll see upon generation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT EDIT:
Glacier is pretty. 'Bloodfist' makes for a nice location worthy of planting the schematic in. More rolling green hills and such, but nice nonetheless.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:41:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: February 23, 2011, 09:24:26 pm »

Don't use my name for generation. It's just small hills on the ocean side, with lots of trees and clay. It is like some sort of newbie world, there is nothing epic to it.

Edit: Okay nevermind. Found a pretty cool area. It looked like another tiny rolling hill amongst the plains, but it turns into a stone outcropping over a lake. The right side is sheer, but the left side slowly slopes down to the waterlevel. This is my home spot now.

I also found a death shaft. At the top of a very large hill, there is a spherical depression that caught my interest, and it contains a one tile drop that goes down roughly 40 blocks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:29:33 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: February 23, 2011, 09:31:33 pm »

Can somebody try my name, lowercases and all?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7640 on: February 23, 2011, 09:39:32 pm »

Holy crap, mountains! Got a neat looking cave system not too far from the starting mountain.

EDIT:
Turns out the starting mountain also has a cave system inside it with a wall dividing the inside (2 caves on opposite sides divided by a natural wall), and apparently a sandstone foundation?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:46:59 pm by Itnetlolor »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: February 23, 2011, 09:44:06 pm »

Holy crap, mountains! Got a neat looking cave system not too far from the starting mountain.
Pics please?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7642 on: February 23, 2011, 09:55:50 pm »

Pics please?
Here ya go. From a good view from start, to the surrounding terrain.

The World of 'breadbocks':

↓: What can I say? I'm pretty good at taking pics. (Reminder: F1= HUD OFF, F2= Take Screenshot)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:07:46 pm by Itnetlolor »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:16 pm »

Thanks, man. Those are seriously epic.
SAND

Y U NO BE CONSISTENT?

EDIT: CSI. Minecraft style.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:11:47 pm by breadbocks »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: February 23, 2011, 10:29:48 pm »

'whoah' is pretty nice. Lot's of mountains fairly near where I spawned, and a lovely forested continent across the sea.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: February 23, 2011, 10:32:36 pm »

I've decided to put the new seed feature to work to illustrate how deceiving distances are in the game!

The Minecraft Marathon Challenge

1 Start a world with the seed "Marathon"
2 Make your way 40.195 km (~26 miles) east (any x, z < -41,810.5)
3 If you win then brag about your time, difficulty, cheats and mods. 8)

Hints

You start out facing east so don't just stand there looking around. RUN!!! :D

F3 toggles debug info with your Minecraft coords on screen along with other info.

Spawn point is x: -121.5, z: 384.5.

Wikipedia says a marathon is 40.195 km or 26 miles and 385 yards.

Boats might speed you up if you collect, build, place and start them fast enough. They can also take you to a remote spot at night so you can spend whatever time you will be crafting or smelting without the need to build shelter or just run through the night.

I also suspect mushroom soup is the best way to heal fall and mob damage. Make some bowls early on and keep an eye out for them, especially at night.

I think I saw the third sunrise around the time I had made it 4 km (normal difficulty, no cheats or mods) so total times of around 20 Minecraft days (6.67 hrs) should probably be expected. I was running/boating both day and night so double that if you won't be running straight through the night.

One runner's defense against skeletons is to try to kite other monsters between you and the skeleton so it hits them and they turn on the skeleton.

The runner's best weapon is probably flint and steel used to set tiles behind you on fire but only if you don't break it by spamming it all the time. Wait for your enemies to burn out before you catch them on fire again. Keep an eye out for surface iron and smelt a bar early.

If you are thinking about making armor, you should work out that the most cost effective armor pieces are: (from memory; best to worst) chest, legs, feet, head.

EDIT: Changed because Aklyon pointed out spawn points change even with the same seed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:20:23 pm by poca »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: February 23, 2011, 10:40:14 pm »

spawn can change between maps, even with same seed.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7647 on: February 23, 2011, 10:41:34 pm »

'Creeper' will put you in a world of paranoia. Forest island surrounded with forests.

Hint: Play on Hard.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:45:06 pm by Itnetlolor »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: February 23, 2011, 11:17:17 pm »

What will Pedobear do?

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: February 23, 2011, 11:18:26 pm »

spawn can change between maps, even with same seed.

Thanks for pointing that out! I just tested it out by creating a new world with the same seed and the spawn point had indeed jumped.  :o
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 1380