Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422267 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7470 on: February 07, 2011, 09:53:57 am »

stuff you drop on death just disappears after a few moments? I hate this. Now all i have are 55 iron ingots. and none of the 150 coal i just mined from my cave before falling.
Not to mention all the other stuff i hate accumulated in the 3rd day.

Its not even that far of a walk, how are you ever supposed to get further than 500m from your spawn?! :(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:58:06 am by Lord Snow »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7471 on: February 07, 2011, 10:42:37 am »

Stuff you drop despawns after 5 minutes, UNLESS the chunk is not loaded when you spawn.

Chunk loading: Chunks load in a 9x9 grid centered on the player. If you are playing alone and died at least 72 blocks from spawn (9*16=144/2=72), the dropped blocks will stick around until five minutes after the chunk is loaded.

Thus, you should often make it a priority to leave breadcrumbs for yourself so you can remember where you went last, and when you die, either accept the loss of your goods or immediately focus on recovering them.

To prevent further loss of goods, shift is your friend when doing anything on a ledge - you can't fall off a block if you're crouching. I'd also recommend stashing your goods in a chest before you do anything risky, such as fighting monsters or mining near lava.

That said, if you lost the goods, and they can't be recovered but you really need them back, you can always use INVEdit (in singleplayer) to hack your lost goods back into your inventory.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: February 07, 2011, 12:21:34 pm »

Make a trail of chests if it's that much of a problem.  This way you are never far from a chest to put items in.  Every time you go back "home" take your precious items and whatever else you can fit.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: February 07, 2011, 01:54:45 pm »

Make a trail of chests if it's that much of a problem.  This way you are never far from a chest to put items in.  Every time you go back "home" take your precious items and whatever else you can fit.
The problem with that is, that it isn't a problem until you die horribly and lose all your stuff. But i suppose it is a good idea, even though it would be too much trouble for me to bother doing (even though it probably wouldn't even be that much work)
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: February 07, 2011, 02:21:31 pm »

so i have recently gotten into this game. I have setup a server for use over hamachi. it was looking pretty benign at first but recently we punched through into a huuuge cavern. I have gotten lost in it for over an hour twice now, thankfully i have marked the entrance now and that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I would love to see more players on the server though, if you want to join on, just send me a PM and I'll reply after I get back from work.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: February 07, 2011, 03:01:35 pm »

I tend to search pretty far and wide for places to build my fortress, so I end up a fair bit away from spawn. Whenever I get a compass, I just make a trail of torches atop a single cobblestone to my spawn, then build a small altar right on point zero. Occasionally I even drop a chest with basic tools, some food, and armor should I respawn at night and have to fight my way back.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: February 08, 2011, 02:43:02 am »

Ugh.

Downloaded a mod claiming to improve FPS.

Mod is virus.

Rex has no account now.

Rex is sad. Rex no longer trusts forums. Rex deleted minecraftforums.net bookmark.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: February 08, 2011, 02:49:49 am »

If you downloaded it from the forum, next time wait until there's at least a few posts about the mod. Well, more than a few.

Still, sucks bro. Sorry to hear that. Hit up Notch to see if you can get your account back.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: February 08, 2011, 04:17:39 am »

Ugh.

Downloaded a mod claiming to improve FPS.

Mod is virus.

Rex has no account now.

Rex is sad. Rex no longer trusts forums. Rex deleted minecraftforums.net bookmark.

Did it already change your email address? I hope you checked if you can get the password sent to you before giving up.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: February 08, 2011, 04:39:09 am »

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: February 08, 2011, 05:22:40 am »

So you were quick enough to change the password before it changed your email? Grats :P

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: February 08, 2011, 05:30:24 am »

Yessir!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: February 08, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »

Man this game can be infuriating sometimes, i just lost all my stuff after a very fruitfull cave trip.First i survived some skeleton, zombie and creeper encounters in the cave itslef, got out with a bucket of magma, 17 iron ore and almost two stacks of coal, there was still some daylight left so i went out to find some wood, i see this huge ass tree from a cliff, now i was on the cliff so i didn't see that it was in fact one tree, i tought it was three trees.So i jump on top of the one closest to me and find where the center should be, start hacking away and cut trough the single wooden block before i fall down and splatter all over the place, the game immediatley crashes, so i respawn and make a run for the place i died at, the game crashes the second time, i arrive there and there is nothing left.

This is the second time this happend to me in this world and i really don't want to start over again because the world is just awesomely generated with big cliffs, deserts, oceans and a huge amount of caves.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: February 08, 2011, 05:50:38 pm »

Get InvEdit and try to remember everything you had, and edit it in. Its hacking, yea, and you shouldn't have to do it, but try not to feel guilty. You, after all, got everything legit.

Also, for those of you playing with the HD Texture Patch, can you do me a favor? While you are playing, hold down the F3 button so the graphs appear. Walk around and tell me if your framerate is better. It is about 2x better for me holding down F3. I am actually trying to find a way to mod out the graphs and have F3 on by default, because of how amazing my framerate is with it held down.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: February 08, 2011, 05:56:51 pm »

There's a mod that places all your items in a chest on death if you have a chest in your inventory.

I've been meaning to install that.

Now finding your death chest is another matter :P
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 1380