Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422339 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7440 on: February 02, 2011, 01:48:26 pm »

couple of quick questions have come up for me:

Am i imagining it or are mobs drawn to the light at night? It seems really easy putting up a couple torches, going outside later and cutting up like 10 pigs and cows.
Passive mobs spawn in crazy numbers on lit grass at night. I suppose there's a desired ratio of them per however many chunks, and as they only spawn on grass in the light, that means that any grass around torches will be swarming with the obnoxious fuckers all night. This led me to build a rock wall around my mountaintop temple and replace all the grass on the mountain with sand.
You just gave me my next project... Thanks!

Cover the immediate area with sand, create a small patch of grass surrounded by water flows to direct creatures to a trap for easily collecting their goods in one convenient location.  It beats my old method of planting tons of cactus or lava falls for them to hit then running around picking up stuff.  (I once had a cart track setup to "scoop up" mobs and bring them back to my base for slaughter, but it wasn't very reliable and it took forever to get the iron.)  I only wish there was better fluid control (floodgates?) in the game to make some really cool stuff.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: February 02, 2011, 05:05:35 pm »

Is there any way to destroy items other than finding lava to throw it into? them 500 tree saplings are getting in my way. I've started digging up patches of dirt to throw trash into which i then wall off again, but it seems tedious (and i wonder if critters will then spawn down there and moan into my ear forever on after.)
Just drop it and walk away.  Mob-dropped items disappear after around a quarter of a day-night cycle, as do items dropped on player death.  Player discards may last longer, but certainly not more than a full day.

Incidentally, mobs despawn in about the same time, so hostiles won't moan in your walls forever.

Is there any way to find locate iron or diamonds other than blindly digging through thousands (literally!) of stone blocks to clutter your inventory with? (not to mention that it takes out your original few iron/diamond picks in the process).
Diamonds are placed between levels 1 and 16, counting from the lowest level possible.  Magma lakes are placed between levels 1 and 10.  So digging minimal-dimension straight corridors separated by three blocks on level 10 and level 14 is probably the most efficient way to find them.  You'll find lots of iron too, so just use iron picks and shovels.

There are youtube videos that explain this better.  Search on minecraft diamonds.

Either take along some chests for the spoil, or just abandon it and let it despawn.

There's visualizer programs.  I especially like one called Minecraft X-ray.  It can see through walls, and can be set to highlight certain types of blocks, like iron, diamond, clay, or pumpkins.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: February 02, 2011, 08:15:13 pm »

So I had a funny thing happen the other day.
I was on a private server with a friend. We need to be specifically logged on to Hamachi to emulate a LAN to make the server function between the two of us. Then this crazy thing happened- a random guy named "Player" showed up on the server and claimed that he had gotten there by "typing in random numbers" into the connection console. he wandered around for a few minutes, making banal remarks like "OOO you have a cake" and then excused himself. How the hell would someone find an IP of a functioning server by typing in random numbers, and why would they be the skinless "Player"?
      It's a mystery to me.
    What do you guys think is going on? My friend seems to think that he's an experimental bot, but I'm unconvinced.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: February 02, 2011, 08:33:51 pm »

We need to be specifically logged on to Hamachi to emulate a LAN to make the server function between the two of us.
No, you don't.
That's just how you're connecting.
If someone has your normal IP (or guesses it) they can join you.  And if you're running the server without authorization required, they can join as Player.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: February 02, 2011, 08:53:11 pm »

Well that helps me know how this guy got on the server, but how did he even guess my normal IP?
(He's probably a hacker or something, but it's still interesting)
he also showed up again for about 10 seconds not an hour ago and said Hello!
then he logged off again.
I don't know if this guy knows that he's trolling me, but he's certainly succeeding.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: February 02, 2011, 10:12:53 pm »

... but I'd be real surprised if anyone but Notch did the majority of the coding. Bear in mind, Notch has been hack-n-slash coding Minecraft on his own for years now ...
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't minecraft only a year or so old?

Yes, in fact checking in, it was started on May 17, 2009... that makes it about 1.8 years old... Which is a significant period of time, but in game development terms not that long.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7446 on: February 02, 2011, 10:27:58 pm »

We need to be specifically logged on to Hamachi to emulate a LAN to make the server function between the two of us.
No, you don't.
That's just how you're connecting.
If someone has your normal IP (or guesses it) they can join you.  And if you're running the server without authorization required, they can join as Player.

Hamachi creates a VPN, a Virtual Private Network.  The important keyword here is private.  Other computers, even if running Hamachi, can't join a Hamachi-created network without the permission of the creator.   Permission is normally granted by a password, but there are other ways to do the access control and authentication.

Mr. Mac, assuming you and your friend are both not directly connected to the internet (that is, without even a DSL modem in between), nobody else should be able to talk to the Minecraft server.  (Just because the modem or router needs to be told what port to forward, and where to.)

Either something's badly misconfigured,

or your friend is screwing with your head.

My money's on the latter.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: February 02, 2011, 10:29:18 pm »

So I had a funny thing happen the other day.
I was on a private server with a friend. We need to be specifically logged on to Hamachi to emulate a LAN to make the server function between the two of us. Then this crazy thing happened- a random guy named "Player" showed up on the server and claimed that he had gotten there by "typing in random numbers" into the connection console. he wandered around for a few minutes, making banal remarks like "OOO you have a cake" and then excused himself. How the hell would someone find an IP of a functioning server by typing in random numbers, and why would they be the skinless "Player"?
      It's a mystery to me.
    What do you guys think is going on? My friend seems to think that he's an experimental bot, but I'm unconvinced.
Stealth Herobrine.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7448 on: February 02, 2011, 10:41:45 pm »

Hamachi creates a VPN, a Virtual Private Network.  The important keyword here is private.  Other computers, even if running Hamachi, can't join a Hamachi-created network without the permission of the creator.   Permission is normally granted by a password, but there are other ways to do the access control and authentication.
I'd like to point out that Hamachi is not a requirement.  That was what I was saying.
You physically can't make it a requirement unless you disconnect the other network adapter, which would also kill Hamachi, as it's not a real network adapter.
He could very well have his ports forwarded without realizing it, or somesuch.

It could be the friend though, yeah.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7449 on: February 02, 2011, 11:28:11 pm »

I probably have my ports forwarded.
I know it wasn't the friend.
It could be an actual person entering random digits to find my server the classic way.
It's probably Herobrine, or worse, Israphel.   :-\

CASE CLOSED OR IS IT??!???!!!!?!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7450 on: February 03, 2011, 12:15:01 am »

I'm trying to purchase Minecraft, but I can't even get through registration! after I enter my information and hit register, I get this:

Code: [Select]
java.lang.NullPointerException
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: February 03, 2011, 03:35:45 am »

I'm trying to purchase Minecraft, but I can't even get through registration! after I enter my information and hit register, I get this:

Do you have the newest version of java?

EDIT: typo
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:52:54 am by bluephoenix »

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7452 on: February 03, 2011, 04:12:31 am »

Do you have the neweset version of java?

Yup, newest version. It says there's supposed to be some sort of anti-spam verification thing at the bottom, but I can't see it.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7453 on: February 03, 2011, 04:53:30 am »

Do you have the neweset version of java?

Yup, newest version. It says there's supposed to be some sort of anti-spam verification thing at the bottom, but I can't see it.

Hmm, maybe try a different web browser?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7454 on: February 03, 2011, 07:56:10 am »

Do you have blocker stuff (Adblock+, Ghostery, Noscript, etc)? That occasionally screws up anti-spam stuff for me.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 495 496 [497] 498 499 ... 1380