Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422474 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7380 on: January 29, 2011, 05:54:24 pm »

I guess I need a megaproject.  I abandoned World1's bridge to nowhere, I abandoned World2's flattened mountain, I don't want a castle….
Congrats, you have hit the complete lack of content. Enjoy creating your own, because it's the only thing you can really do.  :)
Thankfully this is all you ever need and is why people love the game.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: January 29, 2011, 06:57:49 pm »

''I’m leaving on a two week vacation tonight, to celebrate my mother turning 60.''

From Notch's Blog, is this normal behaviour? He seems to have allot of long breaks for practically no reason.
And how is it possible that the more people he hires the less work seems to be done on the game. I'm starting to really wish I had donated the money I paid for minecraft to Toady...
I mean I did get my moneys worth from minecraft already but this is still kind of annoying.

Sorry I guess I really miss the weekly updates.   ::)

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: January 29, 2011, 07:39:49 pm »

Yeah, he is taking more and more frequent breaks and apparently he has two other coders working on MC but I don't see anything getting done while notch is gone.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: January 29, 2011, 07:48:50 pm »

''I’m leaving on a two week vacation tonight, to celebrate my mother turning 60.''

From Notch's Blog, is this normal behaviour? He seems to have allot of long breaks for practically no reason.

Judging by the last five months since I bought the game and started paying attention, yes.  He takes off a week every six to eight weeks.  (Estimate.)  He seems to like longer, uninterrupted periods instead of a weekend.

And how is it possible that the more people he hires the less work seems to be done on the game.

In my limited experience, this is normal for adding staff to any software project.  There's even a famous book about it, The Mythical Man-Month.

I'm starting to really wish I had donated the money I paid for minecraft to Toady...
I mean I did get my moneys worth from minecraft already but this is still kind of annoying.

I hear that, but it looks like besides the create-a-new-company delays, the team is working on refactoring and on infrastructure improvements like a new savefile format and optimizing graphics-card performance.

Which is great, and totally necessary, but is boring.  It doesn't lead to clever tweets or interesting blog posts, or to small but fun new additions to the game.

I counsel patience, things will start moving quickly again.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: January 29, 2011, 07:57:53 pm »

Oh hey, minecraft now out for microsoft powerpoint.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58874

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: January 29, 2011, 08:07:35 pm »

And how is it possible that the more people he hires the less work seems to be done on the game. I'm starting to really wish I had donated the money I paid for minecraft to Toady...

I remember back when Notch was putting out bugfixes and changes damn near every other day, one of my friends noted "He's setting a precedent where people are going to be throwing hissy fits when he decides to have a life again" (not implying that you're throwing a hissy fit, but quite a few people are indeed throwing one on the MC forums). As one of my economics professors once said: "Never give 110% at your job; your co-workers are only giving 60%. When you're giving 100% and they're giving 60%, it'll be you who's seen as the slacker."

Mojang is still turning out updates and bug fixes a lot more frequently than most of the other commercial and indie game devs I follow. DF 31.18, for example, came out over 2 months ago (and let's not even get into the gap between 40d and DF2010).
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: January 29, 2011, 08:10:47 pm »

I remember back when Notch was putting out bugfixes and changes damn near every other day, one of my friends noted "He's setting a precedent where people are going to be throwing hissy fits when he decides to have a life again" (not implying that you're throwing a hissy fit, but quite a few people are indeed throwing one on the MC forums). As one of my economics professors once said: "Never give 110% at your job; your co-workers are only giving 60%. When you're giving 100% and they're giving 60%, it'll be you who's seen as the slacker."

Mojang is still turning out updates and bug fixes a lot more frequently than most of the other commercial and indie game devs I follow. DF 31.18, for example, came out over 2 months ago (and let's not even get into the gap between 40d and DF2010).

Toady != 4 coders.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: January 29, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »

Toady != 4 coders.

That doesn't really address my point which is that Mojang is still putting out more updates than most commercial or indie devs, no matter what size their dev team is (the problem being the previous precedent set). Whether or not there's 1 Toady, 4 Toadys or 4 Todays each working on 4 games doesn't really play into it. If Toady had been churning out bug fixes and content patches every day, then started doing updates every other week (like Notch did), he would be perceived as slacking; but he's been consistent with his time-tables (often a while between substantial updates) and thus the community is used to it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:13:39 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: January 29, 2011, 09:27:22 pm »

Toady != 4 coders.
Only one (other than Notch) has actually done anything yet, and it was for 1.2's updates only.
Let's not pretend the comparison includes them all.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7389 on: January 29, 2011, 10:25:49 pm »

I guess I need a megaproject.  I abandoned World1's bridge to nowhere, I abandoned World2's flattened mountain, I don't want a castle….
Congrats, you have hit the complete lack of content. Enjoy creating your own, because it's the only thing you can really do.  :)
Thankfully this is all you ever need and is why some people love the game.
fixed that for ya

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: January 30, 2011, 12:03:51 am »

It's fun to make mega construct, but don't yall get bored of doing it over and over, and sometimes stop half-way to complete? I do get bored from trying to build certain things over and over again.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: January 30, 2011, 12:05:33 am »

That's why we build different things.

If you don't like building things then Minecraft really isn't the game for you. It's like saying an RTS doesn't have enough first-person control. If you are looking for that this type of game isn't gonna be good for you.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7392 on: January 30, 2011, 12:06:12 am »

Plus, Mojang has that new game they've been hinting furiously at, which could be taking some or all of the new coders attention.  We just don't really have enough information to say whether or not they are slacking on the updates, and to be honest it hasn't been long enough to start complaining anyways.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: January 30, 2011, 12:08:24 am »

That's why we build different things.

If you don't like building things then Minecraft really isn't the game for you. It's like saying an RTS doesn't have enough first-person control. If you are looking for that this type of game isn't gonna be good for you.

No, I like minecraft and I love building things, I once made a nice quarry, Built a little house, and try to build a nice castle, but I get bored halfway and sometimes never complete them.

I wonder how many of yall actually try to make your own dungeon similar to a zelda dungeon, full of traps and monsters and all.

Since I heard that there will be some short of a zombie siege, I wish there was also some demonic netherworld invasion from a portal as well, causing ghast and other creatures to appear and raid towns and villages.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:19:36 am by darkedone02 »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: January 30, 2011, 12:30:55 am »

Oh hey, minecraft now out for microsoft powerpoint.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58874
That is epic like nobody's business.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 1380