Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422510 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #7215 on: January 15, 2011, 07:55:25 am »

It was the closest I ever came to shitting my pants. Literally. I'm a huge fan of scary movies, less so about scary games (like Dead Space for instance). But this time, my whole body was going into "fight or flight" mode. The sounds ... the horrible sounds... Props to Notch for creating it, but once I get my own copy of Minecraft, I'm not spending more than 30 seconds in that place. Get in, dig, get out.
Seriously? The hellsounds are somewhat spooky but nowhere near that bad. From your post I can only conclude that either you lack experience with real horror films and games or you're just easy.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: January 15, 2011, 08:03:35 am »

i've only been playing single player so far, basically turning an entire mountain into a fortress. It sparkles in the night with all the windows. The only real problem is that i started on top, so i cant get any iron untill i dig down... a lot
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: January 15, 2011, 08:30:17 am »

It was the closest I ever came to shitting my pants. Literally. I'm a huge fan of scary movies, less so about scary games (like Dead Space for instance). But this time, my whole body was going into "fight or flight" mode. The sounds ... the horrible sounds... Props to Notch for creating it, but once I get my own copy of Minecraft, I'm not spending more than 30 seconds in that place. Get in, dig, get out.
Seriously? The hellsounds are somewhat spooky but nowhere near that bad. From your post I can only conclude that either you lack experience with real horror films and games or you're just easy.

Then you have a stronger stomach for these things than I do. I was surprised to see that Minecraft managed to shake me, while I'm always the one that drags people to see scary movies. Granted, most of the time I just know something is gonna happen (a lot of scary "pitches" are  so commonly used that you can almost smell the moment coming) and as such, it doesn't spook me anymore. But once I'm actually at the controls of a character in a spooky environment, I'm so easily (and deeply) immersed that it actually decreases my "tough guy" attitude once something scary comes along. ;) Minecraft might do the whole freaky thing in a rather simple way, but it got to me. That's an applause for Notch. YMMV OFC. :)
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: January 15, 2011, 09:55:25 am »

Has anyone pressed F5 then backed up into a wall? You can look inside your head.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: January 15, 2011, 10:01:08 am »

Yeah our family has pretty much made a ritual of that whenever anyone changes skins.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: January 15, 2011, 10:30:37 am »

Minecraft is an oddity. A lot of people who have had a ton of experience with scary and thrilling games get a new thrill when playing Minecraft, particularly when spelunking and monsters are coming form everywhere. Or when you hear monsters from everywhere but never encounter them. I don't know if it's the simplistic environments lulling people into a false sense of security or what, but there is a strange dimension of this game that is unnerving.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: January 15, 2011, 10:33:26 am »

Damn Minecraft, i started a new world to try out the new stuff, everything was going dandy, picking flowers, smacking sheep and cleaning this really nice mountain from snow, dug myself in for the first night then the next morning got out to find some coal, i find some, go after it then the game freezes and crashes.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: January 15, 2011, 10:37:36 am »

Only the first night. Really, nothing is lost until a week has passed and you have made some serious headway.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: January 15, 2011, 10:45:36 am »

Here's the fun part, i have all my stuff, but the makeshift mine i made earlier to get some stone for my pick is now gone, and i still have my pick o.O
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: January 15, 2011, 10:50:59 am »

Has anyone seen the new tree designs?
I've seen a birch tree.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No, a tree design. Some trees have special designs with the normal blocks.

Pine trees have same tree block, but different leaves. (I think..)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: January 15, 2011, 11:42:51 am »

YOU GUYS I FINALLY FOUND A USE FOR GRAVEL AND SAND.

Okay, you probably already all know this. But you know how when you've made an elaborate platform stretching out over water/lava/a huge pit/whatever and you don't want to fall below it? Well, there's the problem that you can easily build upwards, but not necessarily downwards. Solution: GRAVEL. Get out a tile or two of your platform and repeatedly put gravel or sand in its place. They will build up perfectly belo up to the point you want. Viola, platforms that go downwards!

Loving the colored cloth, also.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: January 15, 2011, 11:51:22 am »

It's pretty cool that Notch took my suggestion for having 'different' trees simply by arranging the leaf blocks differently. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: January 15, 2011, 12:21:03 pm »

Getting back into minecraft again I pulled an all nighter and made this not so impressive structure.

It is Greiger's Island Nether Research Lab!  The GINRL!

This in construction laboratory includes all the amenities!  Like sheep!

*Fully cobblestone enclosed protection to all internal areas of the laboratory!
*Efficent Obsidian farm for quick production of obsidian vital to the project!  1 to 1 magma to obsidian ratio!  WOW!  No external water required!
*Dock based entryway.  Minimal worry about coming out a land door to be face to face with an army of creepers!
*Cake!
*Dock sterilization button!  Some horrible creature make it into the dock?  With the push of one button the specially designed dispensers will fill everything outside the door with arrows!
*Bacon Dispenser inside!
*Undersea Observatory for break time!
*Fire based spider proof fortifications! (Under construction)
*Ghast proof construction!
*Indoor Swimming pool!
*Sheep!
*And an exclusive portal to the deepest darkest reaches of the Nether!  As a bonus, the portal actually works both ways!

Features under construction:
*Ghast combat towers for easy arrowing of floating annoyances!
*GINRL Research Expedition outpost 1.  A protected in nether base of operations for higher risk research.

Only for the low low price of 100 payments of 10000☼ with a down payment of one eternal soul of an innocent (does not have to be yours)
Buy Yours today!  Just call 1 800 666 6666.  Operators are Ssssss-ing by.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7228 on: January 15, 2011, 12:26:10 pm »

I came for the minecraft, I stayed for the lols.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: January 15, 2011, 12:35:41 pm »

As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1380