Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423582 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #6915 on: December 15, 2010, 02:09:03 pm »

The biggest difference between Minecraft and Lego builder programs is Creepers, Spiders, Ghasts, Cows, Ducks, and Piggies.  Oh my.

Oh, also Minecraft is not confined to a small cube anymore where most Lego games I've see are.  (I'm sure Mac support helps media attention as well.  [at least that makes sense in my head.])
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: December 15, 2010, 03:38:56 pm »

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/2326762190/man-down-and-another-man-down

'Twas the week before Beta
And all through the house
Every creature was stirring
Yes, even the mouse
The orders were made by gamers who care
In hopes the release would soon be there
The children were gleeful, even in bed
While visions of stone forts danced in their heads
And 'ma at her laptop, and I at my desk
Had just settled down to await the very best
When out on Tumblr there arose such a clatter
I opened my browser to see what was the matter
Away to the forums, I clicked with a dash
Tore through the new posts, I found it at last
The moon on the breast of the new players' cries
Gave the vision of content I'd waited for most
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear
But a long-waited update to Minecraft, oh dear!

I could have made that longer, but I would regret the realization of having enough free time to parody the entire song.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:41:20 pm by freeformschooler »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: December 16, 2010, 08:29:04 pm »

Does anybody know a good resource for Redstone circuit tutorials?  I am not a programmer, and I don't know how these circuits work in game terms, let alone theory terms.  Although I do know that when two doors are next to each other, left-hand doors can bug out and read circuit input backwards.

Therefore, I am asking if anyone knows of a diagram for making iron double-doors that can be opened and closed with one switch.  Not a lot of crap about XOR-gates and shit, just a schematic to open doors, appreciating the left-hand-door bug which has absolutely no reason to not be fixed by now.  Because I've been screwing with this door for like fifteen minutes, and I can one door or the other to work, but not both at once, at least without them reverse-toggling so one is always open.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: December 16, 2010, 09:00:50 pm »

Do you need the circuitry hidden?

If not, then you should be able to just split the wire path and it should work, like

Code: [Select]
IRRRD
   RD
with R is redstone, I is input, and D is door.

If not, you should still just be able to split the path and it should work.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: December 16, 2010, 09:17:07 pm »

IRRRD
   RD
with R is redstone, I is input, and D is door.

If not, you should still just be able to split the path and it should work.

Yeah, that's the thing.  When you put two doors next to each other, the one on the "left" interprets input opposite the one on the right.  I discovered that by running circuits and split circuits straight to them.  You have to have a flipper in the path to the second door.  I found a video tutorial for hidden circuits that I'm trying to use (there is no such thing as "quality" in YouTube demonstrations), mainly because the hidden style conserves some space, which is the main problem I was running into.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: December 16, 2010, 09:17:38 pm »

-snip-

When there are 2 doors next to eachother, you need to reverse the input on one of them so that they both open the same direction. It's actually quite hard to explain, so if you want I'll make a video for you? But basically, you get the input: switch, button, plate, w/e, connect it to one door. Split the wire before it reaches the door and add an inverter, which is basically this:

_
___/ T___

lines = redstone wire
/ = one block
T = redstone torch

This reverses the signal, because the torch, when it recieves power, stops submitting power. Then you link that to the door and it should work. Remember to have one door facing normally, and the other facing inwards so the double doors look like double doors.

If you need a video just ask, I'll try my best.

edit: Ninja'd by you, I see you already have one.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:29:05 pm by FluffyToast J »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: December 16, 2010, 09:36:42 pm »

That's the other thing.  I hate videos, because I have to watch three minutes of the guy messing with his inventory, then deconstruct the thing halfway through because he screwed up, and then he keeps staring at stuff he thinks is complicated and rushing past the finicky parts.  A diagram would be a lot more useful, and it seems like double-door switches are the only diagram not available on the Wiki.

At any rate, I have the circuit loop bit completed, I'm just trying to figure out how to adapt it to a lever instead of a pressure plate.  These torches work on Fucking Magic - sometimes you attach one to a circuit at it changes the circuit, sometimes in changes the torch.  Put a torch on the other side of a lever, sometimes it flips with the lever, sometimes it flips for a second and then reverts on its own.  Fuck I hate these things.

All of which would be a complete non-issue if Notch took five fucking minutes to fix the double-door inversion problem.  Which suggests to me that he likes it needlessly complicated.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: December 16, 2010, 09:40:52 pm »

That's the other thing.  I hate videos, because I have to watch three minutes of the guy messing with his inventory, then deconstruct the thing halfway through because he screwed up, and then he keeps staring at stuff he thinks is complicated and rushing past the finicky parts.  A diagram would be a lot more useful, and it seems like double-door switches are the only diagram not available on the Wiki.

At any rate, I have the circuit loop bit completed, I'm just trying to figure out how to adapt it to a lever instead of a pressure plate.  These torches work on Fucking Magic - sometimes you attach one to a circuit at it changes the circuit, sometimes in changes the torch.  Put a torch on the other side of a lever, sometimes it flips with the lever, sometimes it flips for a second and then reverts on its own.  Fuck I hate these things.

All of which would be a complete non-issue if Notch took five fucking minutes to fix the double-door inversion problem.  Which suggests to me that he likes it needlessly complicated.
I saw a diagram on the forums. Try searching there.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: December 16, 2010, 09:46:07 pm »

I saw a diagram on the forums. Try searching there.
If you're lucky enough to catch the 3 seconds it's live out of every half hour. Seriously pisses me off, that.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: December 16, 2010, 10:41:40 pm »

Side
 T-
-XX-
T is redstone torch, - is redstone wire, X is single filler block of some kind. That -should- force the torch to work properly.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6925 on: December 16, 2010, 11:29:15 pm »

Hmm since I'm actually making money I might beable to finally purchase minecraft soon. That said it might end up being sometime in January as I need to save up for other things first (like bills). Regardless I look forward to finally getting online with some of you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: December 16, 2010, 11:33:46 pm »

You really should get it before the 20th and snag an Alpha Account if at all possible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: December 17, 2010, 12:07:48 am »

7 829 100 Euros = 10.4709372 million Australian dollars

Notch has made just over ten million Australian dollars from minecraft.

I'm so incredibly jealous.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: December 17, 2010, 03:33:13 am »

The thing about redstone?

you spend more time trying to fit the damn thing into a small space, than you do working out the ciruits.

How elaborate are we talkin here?

Cause I've built a double pressure-plate mechanism with a locking lever, mostly through trial and error.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: December 17, 2010, 05:48:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Who said MC has bad graphics? Sorry about the windows border on the second pic... :/
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 1380