Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423588 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #6900 on: December 14, 2010, 05:13:16 am »

Oh man, you can deflect ghast fireballs with snowballs!

Which is good, because snowballs do piteous amounts of damage.

I will return after I have slain the beast with snowball power.

If I can get some bread.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: December 14, 2010, 05:35:01 am »

I was not aware snowballs did any damage.

I am pleased to hear they deflect fireballs, however, and will probably attempt to use such a strategy when I get around to the Nether. Assuming I haven't prepared enough arrows to do things the old fashioned way, of course.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: December 15, 2010, 01:13:38 am »

I can't do enough damage from deflections and direct hits to kill them, sadly.

They get bored and run off.

The fireball-blocking is very useful though.

Alas, pig demons in my cobble-fort are a much greater problem, now.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:19:26 am by eerr »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: December 15, 2010, 02:33:52 am »

Very much digging this new texture pack.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Changing the look once in a while helps keep the game fresh.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: December 15, 2010, 02:46:50 am »

On page 50 of New Scientist (No2790) Minecraft gets a mention in the article "Best video games of 2010". While Minecraft isn't the only game mentioned the only picture on the page is in the centre and is of a wonderful sunset. I haven't a scanner unfortunately. I was going to tell Notch on twitter but someone beat me to it by 37 minutes.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: December 15, 2010, 10:47:38 am »

On page 50 of New Scientist (No2790) Minecraft gets a mention in the article "Best video games of 2010".

I saw this as well and was very excited about it. The "game" gets so much positive attention in the media, it's ridiculous.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6906 on: December 15, 2010, 11:09:01 am »

What's really funny about that is that it's not exactly a new idea - The LEGO Company has been making LEGO Creator games for years, which are pretty similar.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: December 15, 2010, 11:11:44 am »

True! The people running Lego Universe have to be a little frazzled wondering how Notch has done it. I'm sure they have more sales, but they were also expected to deliver a much more "feature complete" product.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6908 on: December 15, 2010, 11:13:51 am »

Actually, LEGO Universe has done pretty terribly in sales. It's also not a very good game, but the developers (which are not LEGO Co.'s internal developers) claim it is.

Compare to Notch, who says very clearly that Minecraft is far from complete, but it's still a great game that is mostly feature-complete.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: December 15, 2010, 12:11:38 pm »

The "game" gets so much positive attention in the media, it's ridiculous.

Admittedly, the bar is pretty low in general media.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: December 15, 2010, 12:22:29 pm »

First off, sorry all for dropping in and making that comment before then dissapearing for ages - had a crazy hectic week.

I should clarify that I did mean I'm surprised no-one from the DF community has made a server as I described rather than just in general.

I was thinking about this the other day - I think there probably are a number of people who enjoy the survival element of singleplayer who would likewise enjoy a communal survival effort in multiplayer.

I think one of the big issues that turns people away from going into this style of play naturally is every server you log into seems already quite well lived-in and usually has enormous skyscrapers and highways set up. You don't get the impression of this untamed wilderness which we need to band together to defend against. There aren't any classic fortresses. It's like going into a wacky lego playset circus.

Also, call me old fashioned but alot of this stuff isn't very dwarfy, on a DF server as I imagine it you would log in and perhaps see very little surface evidence of a fortress, but go beneath the surface and you might find a sprawling subterannean cityscape.

Oh I'll just come out and say it, I want to build Moria or an approximation therof :D.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:26:13 pm by Spong »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: December 15, 2010, 12:25:29 pm »

We already had that. It was the Stone City Project (slated to be around 800 blocks in diameter!), and we got as far as the 6th ring before the map change in PH. I'm setting another up on Jaycraft (Stone City III), but it's not really a high priority.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6912 on: December 15, 2010, 12:49:14 pm »

The problem I had with the stone city project is that it was to centered on digging a big hole, so they never got around to building anything interesting inside it.

I'd rather see a gradually expanding underground city that right from the get-go has interesting stuff to explore, to get people interested.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: December 15, 2010, 12:52:15 pm »

I quite agree.

Another method to consider is to build in and around natural caverns and tunnels so rather than digging out a huge space in which to build a city have a sprawling series of interconnected tunnels with the occasional large/huge/enormous chamber

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: December 15, 2010, 12:53:20 pm »

The problem I had with the stone city project is that it was to centered on digging a big hole, so they never got around to building anything interesting inside it.

I'd rather see a gradually expanding underground city that right from the get-go has interesting stuff to explore, to get people interested.

I quite agree.

Another method to consider is to build in and around natural caverns and tunnels so rather than digging out a huge space in which to build a city have a sprawling series of interconnected tunnels with the occasional large/huge/enormous chamber

Hmm. Interesting idea. I've seen large cavern clusters in the Jaycraft cave maps, maybe I'll get some caves prepped and connected.
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 1380