Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2423619 times)

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #6855 on: December 11, 2010, 07:37:26 pm »

I'm not denying it's cheep. Right now.

Think. Right now I believe Notch said it's half full price. That means 20E when beta is out. The "expansions" could be 5E tops. Imagine how many big updates there will be between now and whenever Notch drops MC. Now, solve 5X+20.

Now do you get where I'm going?

Firstly, there is no equation to solve. But let's say the average game is 45 euros over there. That would be 5 expansions. Which I really doubt he's going to do. Especially any time soon. He has already said he wants to move on to other games. Also, at that point the game will be a complete game. So Nobody's going to bitch anyway.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: December 11, 2010, 08:38:42 pm »

On top of that you misspelled cheap.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: December 11, 2010, 09:02:11 pm »

Think. Right now I believe Notch said it's half full price. That means 20E when beta is out. The "expansions" could be 5E tops. Imagine how many big updates there will be between now and whenever Notch drops MC. Now, solve 5X+20.

Firstly, there is no equation to solve. But let's say the average game is 45 euros over there. That would be 5 expansions. Which I really doubt he's going to do. Especially any time soon. He has already said he wants to move on to other games. Also, at that point the game will be a complete game. So Nobody's going to bitch anyway.

45E? That is a positively insane price. That converts to around 65USD last time I looked at the rates. I've never even considered a game more than 50USD+tax.

Anyways, my point is, before I get flamed to hell and back for being Devil's Advocate, and you are dismissing it out of hand. The fact is, for someone who is introduced to the game by someone who got it for 15USD is expecting to pay 15USD, not 30USD, plus another 7USD everytime he wants to keep up with the rest of the players.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: December 11, 2010, 09:04:19 pm »

45E? That is a positively insane price. That converts to around 65USD last time I looked at the rates. I've never even considered a game more than 50USD+tax.

Anyways, my point is, before I get flamed to hell and back for being Devil's Advocate, and you are dismissing it out of hand. The fact is, for someone who is introduced to the game by someone who got it for 15USD is expecting to pay 15USD, not 30USD, plus another 7USD everytime he wants to keep up with the rest of the players.

Not if the person who got it for 15USD tells them outright that it is 30USD or whatever. Which they will, because if they were around that long they'll want everyone to know. "Oh, oh yeah. I was one of the guys on Minecraft."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: December 11, 2010, 09:25:39 pm »

Then you're mostly SOL for modern, mainstream games, to say nothing of expansion packs. It shouldn't surprise you if yet another commercial game exceeds your reach.

So what, because it's cheap now it can never be raised in price because... otherwise everyone who didn't buy it when it was cheap will be used to it being cheap? But even that aside, what exactly does the relativity of the price have to do with anything? If it's worth 30USD, it's worth 30USD; if it's not, it's not. I don't see how a friend getting it for cheaper will suddenly make it not worth the price when it was before, or how a friend getting it more expensive would suddenly make it worth the cash when it wouldn't otherwise be.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: December 11, 2010, 10:09:46 pm »

Then you're mostly SOL for modern, mainstream games, to say nothing of expansion packs. It shouldn't surprise you if yet another commercial game exceeds your reach.
Not quite. The larger portion of console games these days are 45-50USD. The mega-hyped ones like Black Ops aer 60 or so, so I give it a couple weeks to get down to a reasonable price.
So what, because it's cheap now it can never be raised in price because... otherwise everyone who didn't buy it when it was cheap will be used to it being cheap? But even that aside, what exactly does the relativity of the price have to do with anything? If it's worth 30USD, it's worth 30USD; if it's not, it's not. I don't see how a friend getting it for cheaper will suddenly make it not worth the price when it was before, or how a friend getting it more expensive would suddenly make it worth the cash when it wouldn't otherwise be.
No. If you read my first post about it without getting blinded by fanboyism, you'd see I was saying Notch is milking this for all it's worth until the udder runs dry. After that, I started proposing the argument about the price change/expansion system from the point of view of someone who was a bit late to the party, and now has to pay an extra 15USD, plus another 7USD everytime Notch makes an update and he wants to try it, or wants to play multiplayer.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: December 11, 2010, 10:11:35 pm »

Not quite. The larger portion of console games these days are 45-50USD. The mega-hyped ones like Black Ops aer 60 or so, so I give it a couple weeks to get down to a reasonable price.
Where the hell are you buying your games? Mine are 60 at release whatever they are.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: December 11, 2010, 10:26:58 pm »

Where the hell are you buying your games? Mine are 60 at release whatever they are.
Gamestop or Amazon. Whichever is convenient.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: December 11, 2010, 10:31:37 pm »

Gamestop or Amazon. Whichever is convenient.
My Gamestop always sells for 60 USD for the first month or so...
Hmm.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6864 on: December 11, 2010, 10:47:42 pm »

Minecraft going into Beta? Glad I bought during the Alpha phase.

As for the eventual price, bump, I think that by the time Notch announces that MC is fully feature-complete it'll be good enough to sell for $60USD. So we'll be getting a deal.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: December 11, 2010, 10:54:14 pm »

In any case, I'm guessing we've all bought it in alpha, so there isn't really a problem there.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: December 11, 2010, 11:40:20 pm »

Troll Jegus, I am not heading over to the Minecraft forums. They are aflame with base-ripping divide and conquer over the SUDDEN REVELATION of potentially paying more.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: December 11, 2010, 11:43:18 pm »

Most major games are fifty or sixty where I come from, and I've seen no discrepancies with Amazon. 45USD games tend to be older or far less well-known, by which I mean the sort you play through once and are then done.

Perhaps the Wii has cheaper games that aren't destined for resale, but nothing I've seen on the PC or 360/PS has been 45 unless it's a bit below par.

No. If you read my first post about it without getting blinded by fanboyism, you'd see I was saying Notch is milking this for all it's worth until the udder runs dry.
What, these?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After that, I started proposing the argument about the price change/expansion system from the point of view of someone who was a bit late to the party, and now has to pay an extra 15USD, plus another 7USD everytime Notch makes an update and he wants to try it, or wants to play multiplayer.
Again, "the point of view of someone late to the party" is absolutely irrelevant because it requires the notion that the price something used to be is its "real" price and anything over that is unfair. There is no "extra" 15USD. It's worth 30USD or it's not.

In terms of having to buy expansions, same deal. Are they worth 7USD? Buy them and enjoy them. Are they not? Don't buy them, tell Notch to screw himself. Multiplayer might be a trickier issue, but we don't even know that expansions won't be compatible the way regular updates aren't, and if they're not, there will almost assuredly be non-expansion servers for people who take issue with this.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: December 12, 2010, 12:00:52 am »

I finally bought Minecraft (after months of hearing about how good it was) because I had read that the price would be going up after Alpha and that the game was approaching Beta. This was before the exact date for the price/development-stage change was announced. I didn't regret my purchase before finding that stuff out. I definitely don't regret my purchase now.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6869 on: December 12, 2010, 12:06:01 am »

Anyone else having a problem where dieing causes you to become immortal and unable to pick up items in multiplayer?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1380