Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2424462 times)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #6765 on: December 07, 2010, 05:13:18 pm »

Spoiler: Mobs (click to show/hide)
Awesomeness, I want to build my house on a giant turtle!
Raptor Special ability is hilarious.

I just finished making the most adorable little house on a floating island in survival mode.

The home from below
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The underside is dark, so I had to place torches to stop mobs from spawning, and there is a cactus wall to keep out creepers since they can climb ladders.
Inside of the wall
The ladder leading into the house. I guess the entire structure is technically help up by a jack-o lantern, but the island originally floated as they sometimes do.

First floor. The house itself took quite a while to make since I had too smelt each block of cobblestone into natural stone, clay into bricks, and sand into glass. The house is 90% artificial as a result, meaning everything is crafted, not just mined.
Second floor. I wish we could make beds in here, but I replaced a 2x2 section of the floor with cloth blocks to imitate a bed. There is a never-ending tree-trunk fire in the fireplace.
And here's the roof, haven't finished putting the fence up yet.

Here's some views from the roof. Sort of a boring landscape
There's the quarry I get materials from. I'm trying to find a new quarry since  I get greeted with a hail of skeleton arrows from across a chasm when I go any further.

The exit to the island top is a door with an automatic switch
There's a cobblestone front porch and cobblestone foundation
Wheat and tree farm behind the house
Off to the side as well

Some pics of the house from differnt places.
You can still see the never-ending fireplace from here :o

Currently I'm trying to make bookshelves but I can't find any reeds since there's no swamps nearby. Also I plan on finding a new quarry and building a minecart track to it.

It's not as grand as giant roller coasters or giant alien geometry castles, I always wonder who people manage the time to build those things. They they make it in creative mode, or survival? Because it'd be crazy hard to gather all those materials in survival.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:17:00 pm by Acperience »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: December 07, 2010, 06:48:22 pm »

Nice. Now convert it into a house on the back of a turtle. The legs are already there!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: December 07, 2010, 06:58:32 pm »

That is some pretty strong fruit...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6768 on: December 07, 2010, 07:06:29 pm »

Arrghh! You can't just make moving sets of cubes! Boats, airplanes, moving islands, it's all impossible on this system! It's as impossible as having the answer to a crossword puzzle be to write a novel in between the squares!

The only reason Minecraft can work the way it does is because it's built on a grid system.

So, sorry to burst your bubble, but IT IS COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE BUILDABLE MOVING STRUCTURES.

Now, entities like animals and one-piece vehichles, CAN work, but that's because they are entirely different from blocks.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: December 07, 2010, 07:17:44 pm »

Vroom vroom

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: December 07, 2010, 07:23:45 pm »

So, sorry to burst your bubble, but IT IS COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE BUILDABLE MOVING STRUCTURES.

I might just be displaying my ignorance here but I don't see the problem with large, moving, player built vehicles. Couldn't a player created ship get converted into a model with collisions and full rotation? You'd not necessarily be able to add or remove blocks once turned into a vehicle. The main problem I see is with determining which blocks are/aren't part of the vehicle when converting to a model. The vehicles would then be separate from the grid system but still come from it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: December 07, 2010, 07:26:59 pm »

Arrghh! You can't just make moving sets of cubes! Boats, airplanes, moving islands, it's all impossible on this system! It's as impossible as having the answer to a crossword puzzle be to write a novel in between the squares!

The only reason Minecraft can work the way it does is because it's built on a grid system.

Now, entities like animals and one-piece vehichles, CAN work, but that's because they are entirely different from blocks.

It works on my server so.. MoveCraft look it up
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: December 07, 2010, 07:48:48 pm »

The keyword in his argument is working. MoveCraft really does not fit the description, fantasy, or logistics of movable player-block-crafted vehicles.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: December 07, 2010, 07:53:19 pm »

It wouldn't be a matter of making moving blocks, but of allowing certain entities to be dynamically modified in the same way as the environment, since (if I'm remembering right) entities are already solid in alpha (at least from the sides... can you stand on a cow or pig if you get above it?). It would probably be a daunting task, and possibly quite computationally expensive ("possibly"? it's written in java; it'd probably set your computer on fire if you tried ::)), but it's not the impossible matter people make it out to be. I doubt it will happen, but it's just plain silly to claim it's not possible to do (with an implied "without a complete rewrite of the world-handling code", I presume, because saying that dynamically modifiable moving structures is impossible to ever implement in anything is even sillier).

Did Notch ever fix the mismatched portal problems, or has everything been just fixing up multiplayer (which I can't play because of how fucking shoddy the networking code is, unless that's been fixed yet (I don't believe it will, because it's not a problem to anyone with even terrible bandwidth, only those with inexcusably horrific bandwidth... :-\))?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: December 07, 2010, 08:02:42 pm »

Collision detection is currently along the lines of "If you are in the same bounding box you are both given horizontal movement to get away form eachother depending on how much inside eachother you are." So yeah, there really isn't much of a collision detection system in place. Certainly not one fit to handle non-square objects that could possibly be in a bounding box. He would have to make new collision detection code. And the whole dynamic entity thing. And match entities speed to the speed of whatever entity they are on for vehicles to work. And make sure this collision detection still works on a moving platform.

It's a huge task, and I just don't see the point of going through that effort. Sure vehicles like boats and airships are cool, but I would rather more development went into more core features than this huge side thing. Small side things okay, they are usually small and fun and add onto the experience without draining too many resources. But this is SMP-level stuff.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: December 07, 2010, 09:07:15 pm »

Sand moves.
Thank you.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: December 07, 2010, 09:08:56 pm »

Can you seriously believe that sand isn't some hardcoded specific behavior that is so limited in scope that comparing it to dynamic collision detection off the grid isn't a stretch?

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: December 07, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »

No I'm saying sand moves.
Which it does, and it's an on grid block.

It's simply a matter of connecting the blocks together like redstone wire, then having a centeral unit that can be activated (using airships in this case) which will cause it to lift off the ground and turn into a quick screened model and be piloted like an airship would, then on collision with anything the thing would turn solid again or if a special key was pressed. As long as you take the nodes of all those connected blocks and form a model upon completion of that structure (noted from a centeral unit where you confirm final product) you could have it build a model around the basic shape. That's easier said than done I suppose though.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 09:17:03 pm by Saint »
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: December 07, 2010, 09:16:38 pm »

Dynamite moves freely once activated, though that seems more like a case of turning it into an entity.

Like I said, it would be a daunting task, and as I was going to say before getting sidetracked, it's unlikely to get done, at least any time soon (though as often as it gets called for, I can see it being a low-priority thing that gets thrown in as a (presumably half finished and extremely buggy) surprise at some point in the future).

Did the hell portals not linking together properly ever get resolved? I haven't seen anyone talking about it lately, so that gives me some hope. I seem to recall some mention of it from one of the bugfix updates, but I'm not sure about that.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: December 07, 2010, 09:18:24 pm »

Like I said, it would be a daunting task, and as I was going to say before getting sidetracked, it's unlikely to get done, at least any time soon (though as often as it gets called for, I can see it being a low-priority thing that gets thrown in as a (presumably half finished and extremely buggy) surprise at some point in the future).
I'll hold all my bashing except for people who demand it should come now or when this happens. We don't know how Notch will add it, although I will maintain that there is no current system in the game that has any connection to it.
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 1380