Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422337 times)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #5010 on: October 04, 2010, 05:34:06 pm »

So am I to understand minecraft is getting warp travel?
I must make a psycher skin
Thank you based dwarf.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: October 04, 2010, 05:55:58 pm »

The thread should probably get a name change now that Minecraft is so intensely popular.  At least, the Infiniminer reference is irrelevant.

Minecraft: Pumpkins!
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: October 04, 2010, 06:27:46 pm »

Also, I am really interested in the mechanics of the otherworldly travel, especially considering its potential impact on the lucrative mine cart industry  :D
Which leads to the inevitable question: Could you route a minecart track through the portals?

...I hadn't thought of that.  Although given that it's referred to as a "Hell world", I'm sure it's filled with dangers, each of which will stop your cart when hit.

It'd be great if you could have a boosted cart running back and forth through the other world, occasionally bringing ...something... back with it.

Either way, I hope this isn't the last we hear from Notch for the next four weeks.  I'd like some details.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: October 04, 2010, 06:53:26 pm »

Oh wow, an update. In a month. The excitement is almost too much to bear.  ::)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5014 on: October 04, 2010, 07:53:14 pm »

Considering the portals to hell and everything, will it be possible to craft ourselves a BFG9000 to take them on? It will take some red dust, diamonds, gold, and iron to craft.

I would assume a blueprint like this for the gun:
IGI
IDI
IRI

(Makes 1 BFG9000)

I think that would make something like it.

The gun would be easy (enough) to make, the batteries however:
IRI
RDR
GRG

(Makes 3 shots)

These things don't come cheap, but should take out every mob in sight, and maybe some land with it as well (no collectible/buildable resource residue). Aim carefully, and I advise against firing inside caves you haven't cleaned out of it's materials yet.

Oh right, did I forget to mention that those would be blocks too, and not ingots?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 08:14:53 pm by Itnetlolor »

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: October 04, 2010, 08:15:32 pm »

Considering the portals to hell and everything, will it be possible to craft ourselves a BFG9000 to take them on? It will take some red dust, diamonds, gold, and iron to craft.

I would assume a blueprint like this for the gun:
IGI
IDI
IRI

(Makes 1 BFG9000)

I think that would make something like it.

The gun would be easy (enough) to make, the batteries however:
IRI
RDR
GRG

(Makes 3 shots)

These things don't come cheap, but should take out every mob in sight, and maybe some land with it as well (no collectible/buildable resource residue). Aim carefully, and I advise against firing inside caves you haven't cleaned out of it's materials yet.

Oh right, did I forget to mention that those would be blocks too, and not ingots?

No no, you need to make an HEV to go to xen
Thank you based dwarf.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: October 04, 2010, 08:38:00 pm »

JUST SEEN ON JAYCRAFT!
LAVA RAILGUN!

OTHER PLANETS TREMBLE BEFORE OUR MIGHT!
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: October 04, 2010, 08:51:39 pm »

Keep in mind, Notch isn't obliged to make in-development versions for us. An update in a month (more likely to be several updates leading up to Halloween(bug fixes, and stuff)) suits me fine.

This is what I'm hoping for, but I'm not holding my breath. I expect about 15 more "We just hired guy C, D, and F. Check out my popularity over at that website" blog posts before anything is fixed. We'll see.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: October 04, 2010, 09:08:02 pm »

Keep in mind, Notch isn't obliged to make in-development versions for us. An update in a month (more likely to be several updates leading up to Halloween(bug fixes, and stuff)) suits me fine.

This is what I'm hoping for, but I'm not holding my breath. I expect about 15 more "We just hired guy C, D, and F. Check out my popularity over at that website" blog posts before anything is fixed. We'll see.

Given Minecraft's track record (see: original Survival release, SMP release...), Notch will release the Halloween update on time, October 31st, as a single major update, including most of the features and more bugs/latency issues than you can shake a softly-burning stick at. He will then leave on a two-week (or longer!) holiday.  :'(

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: October 04, 2010, 09:15:16 pm »

And the issue is? He'll have a team now. The game will still be in development even with him gone.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: October 04, 2010, 09:17:58 pm »

Is there ever a plan in this game to ever have NPCs who are on your side other then mounts? like Soldiers?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: October 04, 2010, 09:28:33 pm »

Given Minecraft's track record (see: original Survival release, SMP release...), Notch will release the Halloween update on time, October 31st, as a single major update, including most of the features and more bugs/latency issues than you can shake a softly-burning stick at. He will then leave on a two-week (or longer!) holiday.  :'(
...And? The minecraft community is spoiled. Notch is working on this game at a ridiculous pace. Slowing down means going to something more normal.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: October 04, 2010, 09:31:03 pm »

Is there ever a plan in this game to ever have NPCs who are on your side other then mounts? like Soldiers?

There's a "plan" for this and just about any other feature you can come up with that would fit the block-exploration-crafting-people ethos.  Notch doesn't even really know what "complete" means, he's basically just adding features that he likes as he goes.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: October 04, 2010, 09:34:14 pm »

Notch is working on this game at a ridiculous pace. Slowing down means going to something more normal.

He actually doesn't spend very much time coding. I'd say it was a ridiculous pace for a free game or a mod, but this a full time now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: October 04, 2010, 09:45:17 pm »

There's a "plan" for this and just about any other feature you can come up with that would fit the block-exploration-crafting-people ethos.  Notch doesn't even really know what "complete" means, he's basically just adding features that he likes as he goes.

This is obvious from his "Alpha is version 1"

As for every other feature "I" can come up with... I don't know...

Also thanks for the answer, I think I'll wait a bit longer before even bothering to attempt to buy it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:53:31 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 1380