Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422311 times)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4995 on: October 04, 2010, 03:46:34 pm »

I can't wait for DF-style HFS coming from that portal and making you regret opening it.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: October 04, 2010, 03:46:50 pm »

Use the card to transfer funds to pay pal, then pay just using your account. For what ever reason it would not let me pay directly with a card either.

Okay. It seems that my only options on the Pay Pal site are to transfer funds from a bank account (can't happen) or to use one of their special brand-name gift cards. Am I missing something or do I really have to waste another $5 on "processing fees" to switch the card backer to these greendot people?

I would like to apologize to the topic in general for interrupting you guys, but the PayPal site seems to have crashed without giving me a customer service number and the official Minecraft forums seem to be ignoring me.
... and then it explodes!

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: October 04, 2010, 03:46:59 pm »

I think I remember someone saying that introducing moving light sources is currently unfeasable and would require ginormous amounts of work for Notch to work around. So not anytime soon, atleast.

Atleast, I THINK I saw that somewhere.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: October 04, 2010, 03:58:47 pm »

I think I remember someone saying that introducing moving light sources is currently unfeasable and would require ginormous amounts of work for Notch to work around. So not anytime soon, atleast.

Atleast, I THINK I saw that somewhere.

...huh. You've got a good point there - you'd have to re-run the local lighting every time the player moved.

Assuming the light source to originate from the tile you're currently occupying (which tile your origin is over, that is), you'd only have to update lighting ever so often. Supposedly the lighting code is fairly fast now (it was horribly slow when Notch first released it, and its improved markedly since then), so it might be fast enough for moving. I don't really notice a delay when placing torches, and it doesn't matter if the lighting is slightly delayed - it'd still be centred close to your position, so it wouldn't be painful so long as the calculations don't slow down the game in general. Maybe it could just update every second or so - still reasonable in single-player. SMP would be worse, since you'd have more moving objects, but it really depends on how long it takes to recalculate one light source removed and one replaced. (For all I know, Notch's code might support 'moving' the light sphere instead of completely regenerating it, so it might be lightning-quick and there might be no issue whatsoever. I have no clue what his codebase looks like, though.)

And having moving sources would be really bad if you're moving more quickly than normal. If a normal player has some delay, imagine what it'd be like with a well-boosted minecart.  :o

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: October 04, 2010, 04:03:57 pm »

Nah, while turning the player into effectively a moving torch would take too much time to be feasible, that isn't the only way to implement moving torches. A simpler solution would be to simply render things near the player as being brighter, without actually changing the game world. The one flaw would be that it would lose the blocky nature of minecraft's light...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5000 on: October 04, 2010, 04:21:23 pm »

I imagine that it would be only marginally complex to cheat a little bit and make the game treat the tile your head is in as being a torch tile... indeed, I could see something like that being only a moderately difficult server-side mod to SMP by actually having the server place and remove torches as you move.

Yes, moving within a square wouldn't move the torch, but the blockiness would make such small moves invisible anyway.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: October 04, 2010, 04:27:02 pm »

Good thinking! I was concerned about monster spawns (visually-rendered light wouldn't block spawning)... but I'm betting monsters have to spawn outside a fixed radius from players anyways, so this wouldn't be a problem.  8)

It would look a bit odd when contrasted with blocky static lighting, but that's not a huge issue. Heck, Notch might even de-block-ify the static lighting a bit - he made fluid flows look decently-smooth, so maybe he'll give lighting a similar gradient. (Assuming it doesn't too severely cripple the overall blocky aesthetic...) :-\

I imagine that it would be only marginally complex to cheat a little bit and make the game treat the tile your head is in as being a torch tile... indeed, I could see something like that being only a moderately difficult server-side mod to SMP by actually having the server place and remove torches as you move.

Yes, moving within a square wouldn't move the torch, but the blockiness would make such small moves invisible anyway.

That's what I was originally considering. Problem is, if you're moving, you'd have to fairly frequently de-make and re-make the torch - and if you've got several guys on the same SMP server, there's a worry that the lighting code would start to lag from all the updating. Still, if the code is fast enough that lag isn't an issue, I'm all for the simple solution!  :D

Either way, I'm kind of just hoping that self-held lights will, in some form or another, come into play at or before when torches become temporary. Because I know damn well I'd end up building a torch a few steps ahead of me, advancing a few steps, destroying the torch, GOTO top. Which would be painful.  >:(

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: October 04, 2010, 04:30:50 pm »

That's what I was originally considering. Problem is, if you're moving, you'd have to fairly frequently de-make and re-make the torch - and if you've got several guys on the same SMP server, there's a worry that the lighting code would start to lag from all the updating. Still, if the code is fast enough that lag isn't an issue, I'm all for the simple solution!  :D

That's what I was thinking. Boats are markedly faster than running. What happens when you get fifteen or twenty people participate in a boat race for some reason or another while they hold torches?

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: October 04, 2010, 04:35:21 pm »

I think you guys are significantly underestimating the length of time a torch will burn.   You make it sound like you've got 60 seconds per torch.  Don't get me wrong, that could very well be the case - I just think that it will be something more balanced than that.  They should last for an exploratory session in a cavern, but you shouldn't be able to leave the cavern for a few in-game days and have the torches stay lit.

Also, I am really interested in the mechanics of the otherworldly travel, especially considering its potential impact on the lucrative mine cart industry  :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: October 04, 2010, 04:40:43 pm »

Actually, on the otherworld thing, what happens if you go... down? Or up, I guess.

Curious minds want to know, especially if attempting to materialize inside rock leads to something akin to a matter-antimatter reaction :P

"Oh noes!" says Physics, "there's two things in the same place! EXPLOSION TIME!!" Then, light. And a multi-hundredthousand block diameter crater.

It would be glorious. and probably crash inducing, ahahahaha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5005 on: October 04, 2010, 04:49:52 pm »

I got the feeling that it's only linear direction that matters.

I imagine that building train tracks in Hellperspace will be interesting, as would be using it in combat to phase over, step two or three tiles, and phase back to zip around the enemy.

Unless, of course, you need a more static gate structure.

Also interesting would be building structures there to represent landmarks in the realish world.

I rather like the idea of bringing a flint and steel with me when exploring an abandoned mine and lighting torches as I go.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: October 04, 2010, 04:53:20 pm »

Also, I am really interested in the mechanics of the otherworldly travel, especially considering its potential impact on the lucrative mine cart industry  :D
Which leads to the inevitable question: Could you route a minecart track through the portals?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: October 04, 2010, 05:19:01 pm »

I would totally play that
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: October 04, 2010, 05:32:11 pm »

I'm half considering turn difficulty back up solely to harvest gunpowder from creepers. Playing around with invedit has led to the understanding that infinite TNT blocks makes mining an entirely more interesting experience1. My current favorite moment was when I made the initial insertion; dug straight down until I hit a cavern, then towered myself back to the surface via TNT. One left click later and there's this freaking huge hole2 in the ground. Delightful.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1380