Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421992 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4905 on: October 01, 2010, 02:28:39 pm »

Jay post when your server comes up again.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: October 01, 2010, 02:32:08 pm »

so he's putting it open source.

Then Rejoice! You'll see more updates than you know what to do with.

Don't think that's a likely prediction though.

My prediction is that it will go the way of ADOM - closed-source, hasn't been updated in ages, yet people still play it. If the project dies, that is. I make no claims to know whether or not that's going to happen.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4907 on: October 01, 2010, 02:32:23 pm »

I haven't seen the 1:1 scale Enterprise before. Ho-ly crap. I do wonder if he had to walk the whole thing when building (no flying around and running faster)? If it was all done with walking and jumping only; major points to the creator. Probably one of the most impressive ultra-projects I've seen done in Minecraft.

I wonder if all the decks would be furnished as well, and not just a shell?

...And I thought my scale model of Lavos was imposing...

EDIT:
If anyone can replicate the entire environment featured in my avatar (or anything rendered in mandelbulber), then they're building gods.
It was done by creating a layered floorplan in something or other from original concept art of the layout, then exported to minecraft, not built in minecraft. Ars Technica wrote about it.
Well, it's still impressive nonetheless. When I made my scale model of Lavos, I did it with a flight and speed-run hack, but I still built it all in-game. Making sure it was even and to-scale was a pain in a half to get done right. The hacks I used were necessary for all the reference points and everything. Even so, that was just the shell alone (and I couldn't finish it either). Only the shell head, and the shell were completed, and because I started it so close to the edge, I couldn't get the whole thing made. In place of the Lavos core, I put in my signature.

Simple explanation of "how I did it":
-Using the screenshot/sprite as reference, I made the base, made a series of vertices mirroring each other (counting tile distances), and then building from these key points.
-Checking the rest was a chore as well, I was using the inside of the shell as reference to make sure every block was precisely in place. I had to keep the grass spots visible (and grassy) as reference to what grid points I was working on. The grid, of course, was installed after the main spikes were made, and I worked from what would be best seen as it progressed, starting from the sides and top.

I was surprised at how well it turned out in the end, despite being just a mere shell. That was lots of cobblestone used, the head had at least 8 gold blocks (with a wooden beak), and the center was obsidian (of course, in creative mode, it doesn't matter much). However, if there's any intention to replicate this project, I wonder how to make mossy cobblestone, otherwise, that's one clean world-destroyer.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:35:51 pm by Itnetlolor »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: October 01, 2010, 02:42:19 pm »

that's one clean world-destroyer.

Do you have/could you take screenshots? And how did you know how big it actually was? I seem to recall the in-battle picture of Lavos didn't show a whole lot past the head and the world-map screenshots aren't exactly all that quantitative (it's "as big as a town, roughly").
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: October 01, 2010, 02:59:29 pm »

Roger.

Also, Jaycraft is now running Runecraft 2.01.
I need to revamp the guide.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: October 01, 2010, 03:04:49 pm »

I just built a glass dome at the bottom of the Lifted Lake.

I love reeds.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: October 01, 2010, 03:09:37 pm »

Anyone have suggestions on how to set up a lake? Getting the water to go still in a two block deep pond is giving me fits. Even getting the water to self-perpetuate is fairly difficult...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: October 01, 2010, 03:16:56 pm »

Anyone have suggestions on how to set up a lake? Getting the water to go still in a two block deep pond is giving me fits. Even getting the water to self-perpetuate is fairly difficult...
Place the water when it's 1 deep and then dig out the floor.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: October 01, 2010, 03:30:08 pm »

That... would probably be a lot easier. Will have to clean up this mess then re-floor it with something, try again. Trying to start from the bottom got me a one-tile deep stillwater pond and... a lot of little waterfalls not really doing anything along the side of the intended pond area.

I did notice that notch is using some kind of bastardized version of the Game of Life rules to determine flow behavior, though. That was neat, if a little odd.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4914 on: October 01, 2010, 03:52:15 pm »

that's one clean world-destroyer.

Do you have/could you take screenshots? And how did you know how big it actually was? I seem to recall the in-battle picture of Lavos didn't show a whole lot past the head and the world-map screenshots aren't exactly all that quantitative (it's "as big as a town, roughly").
For the rest of the design, I used the Lavos Spawn as a guide for what it looked like on the sides. I was going for being able to make Lavos large enough to fit the core in there as well.

FAKEEDIT:
It took me a moment to find the map data file, but I loaded it up (in the old version of Minecraft and WOMClient (which allows me to use hacks, which apparently didn't work for some reason), but I got it nonethelees.

Here are some pics I just took now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was fun (and annoying) as I worked on it. And considering the rest of the map, ReasonableMan had some rather crazy servers with all sorts of projects all over the place.

Oh, and the things in the picture in front of Lavos are the guardians that you also fight during the final battle (first tier).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:54:47 pm by Itnetlolor »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: October 01, 2010, 04:38:17 pm »

Roger.

That reminded me. I just tried the guide in IE8 and I'm still not seeing images.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: October 01, 2010, 04:58:05 pm »

Roger.

That reminded me. I just tried the guide in IE8 and I'm still not seeing images.
They don't show up in Chrome, either.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4917 on: October 01, 2010, 05:15:12 pm »

Anyone know any other customized server maps or map-generators?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: October 01, 2010, 05:16:45 pm »

Roger.

"This site designed for a minimum of 1180 width, and a modern browser such as Firefox, and requires JavaScript to be enabled."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: October 01, 2010, 05:45:08 pm »

Roger.

"This site designed for a minimum of 1180 width, and a modern browser such as Firefox, and requires JavaScript to be enabled."

That logic fails. Chrome is a modern browser. Forgetting for the moment that there is no JavaScript anywhere on that page, JavaScript is enabled. I'm running at 1280x800.

Tried in Opera, Chrome, and Firefox. Doesn't work in anything but FireFox.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 1380