Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421615 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4785 on: September 29, 2010, 02:39:57 am »

16-bit ALU in minecraft
Awesome.

"Pretty soon it will be able to run actual machine language programs."  Barring signal lag and cell-blocking, since the circuits in unloaded parts of the map don't do anything; and red-circuits have a very hard time traveling vertically, so it'll have to be laid out on the ground.

He just needs to host a SMP server and have players spaced out to keep all the chunks loaded. Alternatively the server could be modded to keep all the needed chunks loaded.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: September 29, 2010, 05:37:43 am »

16-bit ALU in minecraft
Awesome.

"Pretty soon it will be able to run actual machine language programs."  Barring signal lag and cell-blocking, since the circuits in unloaded parts of the map don't do anything; and red-circuits have a very hard time traveling vertically, so it'll have to be laid out on the ground.

He just needs to host a SMP server and have players spaced out to keep all the chunks loaded. Alternatively the server could be modded to keep all the needed chunks loaded.

If he built up, that might not be a problem - just stack functional units on top of each other!
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: September 29, 2010, 07:57:34 am »

Yeah, I started building a gigantic castle on an island. Only problem is, my first wall went adjacent to a gigantic-ass hill.

And here's what I did to try and clear it...

Spoiler: Step ONE (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Step TWO (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Step THREE (click to show/hide)

... Seems about right.
Begin operation "Fuck the Monolith".

Edit: Except no. While digging for flint (to hunt the creepers), I came upon a cavern with about five patches of eight iron each.
Thankyou, RNG.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:59:19 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: September 29, 2010, 08:50:13 am »

I've just finished an arcing bridge from the mountain I'm building the tree in to empty space above the next landmass over. It contains 1274 cobblestones (including the ones that went into the step blocks), is almost entirely over the top of the clouds (it starts and ends within the cloud layer), and is so long that standing in the center one cannot see either end. Now comes the radically more difficult part of building something for it to connect to...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: September 29, 2010, 09:01:41 am »

Tower of Orthanc?

You know you want to...

Yeah, I'm making my keep entirely out of fired stone.
My cousin and I played a multiplayer alpha game (BUGGY), and managed to make massive roman-esque villa out of half-blocks.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: September 29, 2010, 10:28:18 am »

Tower of Orthanc?

You know you want to...

Yeah, I'm making my keep entirely out of fired stone.
My cousin and I played a multiplayer alpha game (BUGGY), and managed to make massive roman-esque villa out of half-blocks.

Make one out of obsidian, with no schematics

Watch headaches multiply like rabbits as you spend upwards of 30 minutes getting rid of sections.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: September 29, 2010, 10:32:08 am »

What, a Tower of Orthanc?

Hrmm... Build it out of dirt and sand first?
Besides, you'd probably need an extra player there just to farm obsidian.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: September 29, 2010, 02:44:23 pm »

My first real project. I guess it doesn't qualify as mega but it's mine and I'm damn proud of it. It's on the unofficial RPS server, which I just happened to log into one day and got inspired.

Here's a day shot, as it looms out of the mist:

I built it near a beautiful, untouched archipelago (which you can't see in the pictures due to view distance). It seemed appropriate.

Spoiler: Underneath the deck (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: View from the derrick (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Down the wellbore (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cute little crane (click to show/hide)

The main deck is ca 45x45 blocks, and the legs rise about 15-20 blocks from the seafloor. Originally I built all the structures from cobblestone, but that looked like poo so I smelted enough cobble to replace everything above deck with smooth stone. I rebuilt the flare boom three times, I swear that is the least phallic I can get it within the current game mechanics. Game desperately needs a metal lattice block and a tube block.

Just wanted to document that it actually existed, in case some griefer comes around and ruins it. If not, I plan to expand the project with an oil lava tanker and perhaps a symbolic little lava spill.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: September 29, 2010, 02:48:25 pm »

That's awesome, nice work!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: September 29, 2010, 03:06:18 pm »

Oooh... very nice!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: September 29, 2010, 03:14:19 pm »

Well...
c10t latest snapshot is still broken on my machine.
Still no isometric Jaycraft maps.
Cartograph is too slow to generate all of these maps at a reasonable frequency, so unless somebody has some other alternative...

EDIT: Cartograph crashes on trying to render a map anyway.
FFFFUUUUU-
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 03:32:15 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: September 29, 2010, 04:03:00 pm »

Well...
c10t latest snapshot is still broken on my machine.
Still no isometric Jaycraft maps.
Cartograph is too slow to generate all of these maps at a reasonable frequency, so unless somebody has some other alternative...

FFFFUUUUU-

What seems to be the problem? c10t builds and runs just fine here.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: September 29, 2010, 04:06:00 pm »

FFFFUUUUU-

Yeah, like some people on the latest pages of the home-thread were saying, Cartograph is a pretty crap program, and the guy writing it has more or less moved on.  Point is, there's plenty of map rendering programs besides Cartograph, but none of them have terribly great isometric views.  I'm using AlphaVespucci now myself, they're the same Oblique angle view, which isn't perfect but it looks good enough.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: September 29, 2010, 04:08:05 pm »

My first real project. I guess it doesn't qualify as mega but it's mine and I'm damn proud of it. It's on the unofficial RPS server, which I just happened to log into one day and got inspired.

Here's a day shot, as it looms out of the mist:

I built it near a beautiful, untouched archipelago (which you can't see in the pictures due to view distance). It seemed appropriate.

Spoiler: Underneath the deck (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: View from the derrick (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Down the wellbore (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cute little crane (click to show/hide)

The main deck is ca 45x45 blocks, and the legs rise about 15-20 blocks from the seafloor. Originally I built all the structures from cobblestone, but that looked like poo so I smelted enough cobble to replace everything above deck with smooth stone. I rebuilt the flare boom three times, I swear that is the least phallic I can get it within the current game mechanics. Game desperately needs a metal lattice block and a tube block.

Just wanted to document that it actually existed, in case some griefer comes around and ruins it. If not, I plan to expand the project with an oil lava tanker and perhaps a symbolic little lava spill.
This makes my stuff look like shit. Oh wait. it's shit anyway.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: September 29, 2010, 04:34:35 pm »

FFFFUUUUU-

Yeah, like some people on the latest pages of the home-thread were saying, Cartograph is a pretty crap program, and the guy writing it has more or less moved on.  Point is, there's plenty of map rendering programs besides Cartograph, but none of them have terribly great isometric views.  I'm using AlphaVespucci now myself, they're the same Oblique angle view, which isn't perfect but it looks good enough.

I've seen this used to great effect: http://github.com/brownan/Minecraft-Overviewer
Basically it generates Minecraft google maps with a number of zoom levels. Probably only useful if you have an imperial shitton of webspace though.

Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 1380