Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421294 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4740 on: September 27, 2010, 09:17:45 pm »

Although I own minecraft.  I havent gotten into multiplayer yet.

Is it funner that single player survival?
Is the challenge still there?
Is there cooperation in construction or anarchy?
How do I know which server is right for me?
How do I join said server?
Does minecraft.net need to be up to play multiplayer?

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: September 27, 2010, 09:23:27 pm »

There is no challenge ATM, no mobs and no damage, it's better if you just want to build with the new blocks, everyone builds their own thing but I'm sure some people will work together building, the servers are mostly the same, only some have different maps, you join a server by pasting it's IP in.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: September 27, 2010, 09:25:00 pm »

Although I own minecraft.  I havent gotten into multiplayer yet.

Is it funner that single player survival?
If you have a fun and interesting group to play with, I would say yes.

Is the challenge still there?
Flows are screwed up and you have unlimited health. There are non-hostile mobs that spawn on the surface that can only be removed by KILL IT WITH FIRE!. On Lap's server, the dungeons sometimes spawn enemies. They're useless, except for the creepers which can destroy terrain.

Is there cooperation in construction or anarchy?
Depends on your group. I can only speak about Lap's server and even there I haven't been able to play since the free weekend, but that group was good about not destroying most junk. You're sure to run into griefers, however.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: September 28, 2010, 12:16:10 am »

The basics of SMP? It's frankly not there yet - it's Creative with limited resources, infinite maps, and a few neat mods (see: Runecraft). Notch's next big job is adding monsters and non-infinite player health, at which point it'll shift from "Nothing to do but build awesum towerz" to "OMG CREEPER RUUUUUN!". Which should answer your question about "challenges"  ;D

If we're debating features, then flows still suck (lag makes it near-impossible to manipulate them, spring tiles seem to interact poorly with non-spring flow tiles, etc.), we're missing monsters and player health as mentioned above, and lag is in general a huge problem. Actually, optimization in general is a huge problem, but latency is the most obvious issue at the moment. When I can mine a block and not have it pop back into existence 3 seconds later, then vanish again 3 seconds after that, I'll be content. And I shudder to think what monster combat (or worse, PvP) will be like with the degree of lag we've currently got. After all, melee combat in Minecraft is mostly timing-based - smack your enemy after he gets into range but before he hits you - and that kind of combat is, from my experience in other melee-based FPS games, a crapshoot with normally-tolerable delay, let alone the ridiculous problems of the current netcode.  >:(

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: September 28, 2010, 02:44:19 am »

Its back up, also
I don't own indef yet? is this game worth purchasing,
also tell me about world of minecraft, is that legit?
Thank you based dwarf.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: September 28, 2010, 08:20:54 am »

WoM is pretty much a fly/speed hack, as long as you don't grief with it nobody cares, everyone uses it.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: September 28, 2010, 08:29:45 am »

but after survival multi player gets serious, with limited health and all that, I'd rather not see people flying around with ultra speed and fly hacks. I, for one, would shoot you.

in creative however it is allowed. Some would say even required(but I think that is just laziness).

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: September 28, 2010, 08:52:04 am »

lol at this 1:1 recreation of the Enterprise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94

I'm fairly sure it's an imported blueprint, but still it's much better than the 1:3040 scale recreation of the borg cube I made.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: September 28, 2010, 09:01:20 am »

I MUST have access to that save file.
a 1:1 enterprise... wow. amazing. and incredibly huge!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: September 28, 2010, 09:31:02 am »

There's WoM for SMP? Who would use that? Takes the little amount of challenge and fun away.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: September 28, 2010, 10:03:22 am »

I don't know if it exist. But even if it doesn't exist now, it might exist in the future. He spoke about buying the game, so I assumed he was talking about WoM for survival. and since he asked about it being legit, I assumed he meant multiplayer.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: September 28, 2010, 10:06:49 am »

lol at this 1:1 recreation of the Enterprise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94

I'm fairly sure it's an imported blueprint, but still it's much better than the 1:3040 scale recreation of the borg cube I made.
Heh, top comment when I looked at the page: "Are you a wizard?"
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: September 28, 2010, 03:14:44 pm »

I just built a calibration marker on what is hopefully where the Minimap's center marker should be.
This will allow manual calibration in the event that my offsets prove incorrect.

As long as nobody blocks it from view on the map, anyway.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: September 28, 2010, 04:21:39 pm »

If you think you'll have issues, then don't buy it (or get a new computer, it's worth it.  :P ).

There are no 'secret optimizations' unlocked when you pay for it or anything. TBH, Minecraft is a pretty-poorly optimized game, especially in regards to memory (and Java really, really is not optimized with regards to memory in the first place) - I've never played a game that gave me HD thrashing with 4GB of memory installed.

Now, that said, let's diagnose. Your lag lessened when you looked at the ocean. This sounds like a graphics issue to me. This seems... odd, since one of the few areas where Minecraft's speed is halfway-decent is graphics. I haven't played the free version lately (heck, I don't even know what the free version entails anymore!), but if water is animated in the free version, I'm quite surprised that staring at water was less demanding than staring at land.

My summary? Update Java, first of all. Then try playing for a few minutes with minimal fog, and see if the lag clears up over time. If neither of those work, then it's probably your graphics card that's insufficient (and we can confirm this if you'll tell us what card you're using).

you said that;d you would know from the graphics card? how will i go about finding its specifications?
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: September 28, 2010, 04:42:47 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 1380