Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420948 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4665 on: September 26, 2010, 09:48:09 am »

If there are two springs touching an empty block (considering partial flows as "empty" for all intents and purposes), and all three of them are on solid ground (glass, btw, doesn't count as "solid" for this >:(), the empty block turns into another spring. The ocean sometimes does it even when there's not a solid surface under any of the tiles, but not always. You can make a lake by covering the top of the hole with dirt, leaving a one tile deep pit in which you can place springs, then you just dig out the dirt and you've got a lake. The downward flows cancel out somehow, however, if you, say, have windows in structures inside the lake, you get downward flows beside them because of the "empty" space (remember that glass counts as a pseudo-empty square for water, as it will still flow over it as though it were solid, but count it as empty for generating springs). >:(

I have deemed the artificial lake infeasible, because this means I can't have glass buildings inside it.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: September 26, 2010, 10:14:35 am »

this mean you can't have glass buildings before filling the lake. can't you build them after the lake is full?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: September 26, 2010, 10:22:52 am »

Or build them with a dirt coating over the roof, then remove the coating when you're done filling?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: September 26, 2010, 10:32:05 am »

Just built a test chamber to see how it works when the glass is added after the water, and got the same result. Even if the water is still ahead of time, adding glass blocks creates a downward flow beside it, and get the waterfall texture on the face touching it. :-\

I might still make the canyon into a lake, but I can't have the underwater fortress that made me want to build it in the first place... I suppose I'll have to build that elsewhere, there's a nice big sea near the spawn point that could play home to an aquatic fortress, though I should finish the giant tree first...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:51:08 am by Sir Pseudonymous »
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: September 26, 2010, 11:17:54 am »

JAYCRAFT PUBLIC WARNING:
If I have to clean up another mess like this near the spawn again, I'm removing those infinite sources.
Limit your flows or you don't get the privilege of having them for free.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4670 on: September 26, 2010, 11:20:13 am »

JAYCRAFT PUBLIC WARNING:
If I have to clean up another mess like this near the spawn again, I'm removing those infinite sources.
I don't see the problem, it looks quite pleasant.  ;D

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: September 26, 2010, 11:20:59 am »

JAYCRAFT PUBLIC WARNING:

Wow. Yeah, I'd be pissed too if something like that happened. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: September 26, 2010, 12:01:29 pm »

Firstly, Iron is only found below sea level. Your best bet is to mine down to bedrock and then mine up and around for 20 blocksish start digging on the seafloor.

Offshore drilling time!

Gravel and sand makes this a much easier processes. I'm starting small; a little 9x7 hole a just a little bit away from the midget lighthouse that's still covered in lava in my attempt to make a perpetual lava mountain (Learned: Lava cools after a while without the source. Sadness.). It wasn't too hard to swim down, make a cobblestone anchor-pillar to the surface, then start dropping gravel to block off water. Currently about 3/4ths finished cleaning out the water. Soon (well, as soon as I go build some ladders or something), the prospecting begins!

In other news, does anyone have an elegant method of harvesting all the wood from the occasional giant tree the saplings produce? I've currently got this fugly dirt scaffolding surrounding the place, but... it's fugly. The trees are awesome, but a pain to clean up. They're huge!

EDIT: Talk about fortuitous positioning... there's a cave right under the spot I made the insertion point. That's going to simplify things. Iron deposit five blocks away from my landing point, too. This definitely took less time and resources than mining down :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:16:14 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: September 26, 2010, 12:07:09 pm »

If you're playing in singleplayer, the easiest way to harvest giant trees is to light the leaves on fire from a few different sides. Yeah you might lose a log here and there, but it doesn't really matter. As the leaves burn away, chop the wood down and once most of it is gone just let the fire do its thing. You'll only need a few vertical dirt blocks to reach the higher logs.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: September 26, 2010, 12:10:40 pm »

Hellz yeah, I found out how to make a boat elevator that will take you up from the ocean to maximum height. Begin Operation Intercontinental Cannals!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: September 26, 2010, 12:17:16 pm »

I now consider that Jaycraft page complete enough to be usable for our purposes.  If anybody has any further suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: September 26, 2010, 12:29:15 pm »

Here is some work in progress in single player.
The first screenshot is taken from the top of the natural archway that is the entrance to the valley.

and this is the only finished room, the dining room.

The oldest building is the watch tower on the top right in the first picture. A day I was exploring and when night fell I was still outside. So I got to the top of a mountain ( the cliff you see is natural. on the other side, however, the slope is much less extreme and perfectly walkable) and build a small house. having time and cobble to waste, I also built a tower, so that I could watch the surrounding area safely.

Then, I built the small wall you see protecting the castle. It was a small flat strip in the mountain, easily walled and safe. Also, it had a rather interesting feature: there was a big, tall and almost empty natural cuboid in the mountain. Then started the idea of having a castle: how could I not turn that natural shape into a tower? and so, I started replacing rock with cobble. Some people who watched my livestream might have seen it while still all natural, or almost all.
The result is the 3 floor structure you see ( no windows yet).
Then, I decided that a castle needed to be bigger, and so started carving more rooms in the mountain, since there was much space. The first 2 rooms are already built: a dining room, shown in the picture, and a still empty personal library of the resident noble.

There is, however, much work to be done yet. in the same direction of the dining room, I will build a church. in the right of the first picture, in the mountain below the tower, there will be military quarters. Stairs are still missing in the main tower. Rock needs to be removed. But I am happy with the results :)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: September 26, 2010, 12:30:03 pm »

All that offshore drilling reminds me of Clonk. Similar game, but 2D. One of my favorite parts was that they had oil. So you could drill for it and then store it in barrels. In minecraft it would essentially just be slow flowing like lava, but without damage. On hitting fire, it ignited and made hilarious catastrophes and traps. Could power a lot of stuff.

Oh, I've also been fooling around with all the cartographers today. I've got a few nice pictures of the skylands/runecraft server (which also shows some hilariously sneaky side projects I know some of you are working on). Unfortunately, the recent corruption of a few server blocks has made my favorite viewer (Cartographer) crash out. I'm trying to hunt down all the bad map chunks, but I don't really know how to go about doing it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:31:53 pm by Lap »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4679 on: September 26, 2010, 12:30:36 pm »

Hey Itnetlolor: What program did you get those shots with?  The only renderer I know of is the Cartographer, which only makes more airplane-height maps than that.
I used Cartograph (I think the most recent version of it); it has plenty of options, and the cavern mapping is decently color-coded, operating mainly on showing what has light and what doesn't. Great for finding magma hotspots, and finding your cave system in the mess of wormholes (inverse-visibility showing caves as solid areas). Unfortunately, I couldn't get oblique angles to render somehow, and it was trial and error to get the view I wanted (sometimes the view gets mirrored, and I don't notice it until I see the dock facing the wrong way).

Here's an example of how the caves look like with my Starter Cave map with some untapped caverns behind/below(?) it. I'm uncertain the other colored spots. Probably ore/gravel motherlodes.

Level 1 (of 2) of Starter mines found that glowing cave system. Red are torch sources which makes me conclude that the colors are lighting-based. I assume yellow are water and solid red could be magma. I assume also that because my little suite has natural light coming into it because I installed some windows, it's no longer visible in this screen. Which explains the abrupt cut-off on the upper floor.

And speaking of motherlodes, holy crap man.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 12:35:04 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 1380