Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2420980 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4650 on: September 26, 2010, 02:22:25 am »

Let me know if you notice any serious map errors. Server lost power and caused a write error while the server was still running. This basically corrupted at least one map chunk, but probably more. I'll go through with some mapping software later and try to fix it, but I noticed the error a bit too late for me to just do a lazy backup restore and from what I can tell there's minimal actual damage.

The only thing I can find is the massive WTF tower to the SE of spawn. Though I'm sure some of you might actually like that...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: September 26, 2010, 03:17:13 am »

Hey Itnetlolor: What program did you get those shots with?  The only renderer I know of is the Cartographer, which only makes more airplane-height maps than that.

I rely greatly on natural caves for my excavation, which means my mining missions double as combat patrols, since I always play on normal difficulty.  Any time I start down I take at least a full stack of torches, a half-dozen stone picks and a couple iron ones, two swords, several porkchops, and some gravel and wool or dirt for improvising stairs.  I pick a branch, and dash madly through it, placing a torch on any wall surface I can reach near the edge of each other torch's light radius.  Usually I'm fast enough that I rarely get attacked, unless the system is particularly convoluted and there's a branch I wind up staying near for a long time without lighting.

What I guess makes me different is that I don't make markers, I don't places torches in any particular pattern, I don't use signs or maps.  Heck, I even progress up and down by digging stairways into the rock, and I sometimes even go out of my way to make them as minimally-invasive and natural looking as possible.  I have a very good sense of visual direction - any path I travel once I can navigate again, and I remember the terrain of the cave itself as a land mark.  I can navigate easily through any of the massive cave formations in the map I'm currently in, and even picture in my mind's eye walking through tunnels from maps past.

The only times I get lost is when I can't find the specific set of narrow ledge-jumps or something to get in or out of an area.  I recognize everything, I just can't always remember exactly which "areas" are connected to which others.  My navigation sense is also entirely visual, not dimensional.  Every time I've deliberately tried to intercept one tunnel from another with mining, I fail completely.  When I happen to accidentally break into a tunnel I've already explored, it's always cause for confusion and celebration.

Personally, I consider exploring new caves to be the the best part of the game, aside from looking at finished projects.  Probably because it's the only major activity in single-player aside from building and walking aimlessly across the world.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: September 26, 2010, 03:38:05 am »

I just got the game after a long time delay... Been putting it off for so long but though what the heck when I saw last weeks Good Game's (Australian TV Gaming Program) article on it. Played Single player for over 5 hours without even knowing it...

Jumpped out of my seat when I was walking though a new cave I hit into and heard a Zombie groan through the wall when all around me was dark (was still setting up the torches)... Was kinda pissed that they kept killing me when I finally broke into the place and was starting to destroy that fire thing in the middle though, forced me to smith up a second sword...

Got alot of things committed to memory already, though the Minecraft Wiki is always on hand...

How do I join in on the Server that Bay12 is offering???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: September 26, 2010, 03:47:57 am »

Message PTTG for his one, or check the sig of Jaybud for the jaycraft server.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: September 26, 2010, 04:17:49 am »

So I found a motherlode on the Skylands server. This isn't your average motherlode, though.

This is a Redstone motherlode.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And it's all mine.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: September 26, 2010, 04:25:25 am »

Damn... Clouds ain't mineable...
THIS IS DISAPPOINTING!!!

Yes I made a 'stairway' to the heavens, on the first night I was chased by a Skele all the way to the top and he shot me...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: September 26, 2010, 05:07:25 am »

Firstly, Iron is only found below sea level. Your best bet is to mine down to bedrock and then mine up and around for 20 blocksish.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: September 26, 2010, 05:17:24 am »

Ah, setting the base for a floating Island is hard, keep having to go up and down for more soil then digging for better spades and stuff...
Bugger it, Strip mine for Ore so I can have epic stuff...

I turned it peaceful, kinda getting annoyed by nasties killing me after I slip and fall...

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4658 on: September 26, 2010, 05:28:55 am »

Not one, not two, not three, but FOUR motherloads.  I will never use this much, so I will post the location once I move my base.

Fake Edit: Found a third iron one.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: September 26, 2010, 07:40:51 am »

We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4660 on: September 26, 2010, 08:09:12 am »

Set up a teleporter to the mine, just look for the sign about the Empyrean Fields by spawn.  The dungeon one wasn't set up by me.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: September 26, 2010, 08:51:55 am »

Really fucking wish I didn't have absolutely incomprehensible lag (over a minute last I tried) on SMP...

I'm working on two large projects in alpha: an artificial lake in between some mountains, and a massive tree atop/in/below another nearby mountain, which I'm carving out into tapered stilts below the top, where I've got a small building enclosing part of the tree, which will eventually extend over the sides of it (yes, I'm just placing logs, and then I will grow more trees in dirt placed next to the branches to get leaves). Planned are a system of arcing bridges that extend as high as can be built, and then descend to the starting level again, before repeating the process. Not that there's really anywhere to build such elevated highways to, but still...

The artificial lake isn't going too well, due to some of the more annoying aspects of water (like treating water beneath a spring as empty space >:(), and not spawning more springs if there's not ground beneath all squares involved... And creating downward flows if the ground underneath is removed under certain conditions (which I have yet to determine in their entirety)...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4662 on: September 26, 2010, 08:54:46 am »

Yeah, I finally tried out a -cough- version of this to see what the fuss was about. Water behaves somewhat irrationally. In my little abode, I have a channel cut out into the ocean which runs down a few levels to a small 'pool' made of stone, but the water doesn't actually fill the pool. Hell it doesn't advance more than 1 tile out from the channel.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: September 26, 2010, 09:08:14 am »

Yea, try digging out the stuff beneath the water, might get it flowing, just aim through the water.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: September 26, 2010, 09:20:22 am »

The way I understand it, water and lava have a limit to how many tiles it flows horizontally (around 10-15 for water, half that for lava), but it'll flow endlessly downwards.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 1380