Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422269 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #4020 on: September 12, 2010, 02:23:32 pm »

I am really amazed at how limited some of the mechanics are. For example, why are there no trapdoors? A block that on activation goes from solid to nonsolid (and changes it's graphic) is a 5 minute code job.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: September 12, 2010, 02:58:08 pm »

Cause Notch's a lazy ass?

Plus it must be really hard to filter through all the ideas due to the amount of retards in the MC forums.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: September 12, 2010, 03:18:57 pm »

Being lazy is fine when you are doing stuff for free. When you are the author of a wildly popular game that makes you tons of money it's just stupid not to add things like this. That fifteen minutes of coding could easily turn into thousands of dollars in increased sales.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: September 12, 2010, 03:51:37 pm »

sweet. we now have compasses that point to the spawn point.

F--ing redstone, how does it work?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: September 12, 2010, 03:53:12 pm »

Magic Magick Magyk Majick Majyk Magyck MAJYCK!

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: September 12, 2010, 04:24:31 pm »

Trapdoors aren't going to make him a thousand dollars

Stupid little features like this sell games and could sell over a $1000 worth of minecraft. If someone makes an elaborate trap or Rube Goldberg machine on youtube (which will happen), some people think it's cool and buy the game we have almost directly attributable sales. Every time Garry of Garry's Mod added another stupid feature he'd get a little spike in sales. Indirectly, we get people buying the game because they see so many new features and mechanics being implemented, of which, the trap doors contribute to.

Regardless, of whether you believe that little features can make a thousand dollars worth of sales or not you can't really argue that something like a trap door has an amazing time to benefit ratio.

and he's kinda sorta maybe working on multiplayer like everyone has been asking for.

By that logic, why has he been adding new content at all when multiplayer has been so broken? We can probably all agree that adding functioning multiplayer is probably the best current way for him to make more sales. Fact is, he's doesn't spend all his time on bug fixes; he adds new content whether it's for him to take a break from coding hard stuff or just because he wants to have new content every update interval.

If you're going to add new content, add the easy stuff with higher payoffs first and then go on to the complicated stuff.

I dunno about you, but I'd like the game to be playable online as intended instead of getting trapdoors to cleverly trick nobody offline.

If you're playing the game to try to PvP other players you're doing it wrong. Aside from trapping monsters, there's tons of times I've wished I've had some sort trapdoor or even vertical hatch. Like I mentioned above it can also be useful in Rube Goldberg machines.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 04:29:09 pm by Lap »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: September 12, 2010, 04:33:39 pm »

Hey guys, Notch should really implement the feature I want.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: September 12, 2010, 04:35:30 pm »

Argument over a feature he wants implemented
Take it the the suggestions page on the minecraft forum.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: September 12, 2010, 04:56:57 pm »

Argument over a feature he wants implemented

Hah!
Have you ever seen that place?
That is easily the worst part of the forums.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: September 12, 2010, 05:07:51 pm »

Hah!
Have you ever seen that place?
That is easily the worst part of the forums.
I'm almost positive that was the point.
Making a comparison and all that.
A block that on activation goes from solid to nonsolid (and changes it's graphic) is a 5 minute code job.
You don't know what his code is like.
Therefore you don't know how long any specific change will take.
Thus you cannot in any right say that trap doors are a "five minute change".
I also highly doubt that adding trap doors would give him a substantial boost in sales.

He has priorities.
And right now, making multiplayer work is paramount.
New content will come when it does.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: September 12, 2010, 05:26:59 pm »

Notch has already sold tons of copies of this game, and continues to sell more. He doesn't need to squeeze every cent he can out of it, he needs only develop HIS game HIS way. If he wants to spend a month adding a giant version of himself that randomly kills you he can. He does have an obligation to finish it, giving everyone the features they were promised, but he doesn't have to listen to any suggestions he doesn't want to add.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: September 12, 2010, 05:48:32 pm »

pretty sure you can make trapdoors anyway, using pressureplates. Edit: and TNT

link
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:54:42 pm by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: September 12, 2010, 05:51:21 pm »

Hey guys, Notch should really implement the feature I want.

Pretty much the entire purpose of a suggestion. Though by stating it in this forum I was more just wondering on why he hasn't yet.

It's not like it's a novel idea and it's in no doubt been suggested a dozen time and as evil said, the forums are shit. The average forum is already usually bad, but when you have a very kid friendly game it tends to be far worse.

You don't know what his code is like.
Therefore you don't know how long any specific change will take.
Thus you cannot in any right say that trap doors are a "five minute change".

I do know code and I've previously checked on how the game access memory locations and tracks things on servers. The entity system supports easy additions. This proposed feature also only uses existing properties of current game elements, meaning no new complex code.
Therefore, he can either easily create it or he's a shit coder.
Thus, since he's probably not a shit coder I'm left wondering why he hasn't.

He has priorities.
And right now, making multiplayer work is paramount.

Making multiplayer work should be top priority. I'm not arguing that. I was wondering why he has certain content in, that obviously took time away to do (i.e. jukebox), and not have stuff like this.  He already has the groundwork for a lot of fun mechanical stuff with the redstone system. Laying the groundwork for a great system and leaving at the easy, fun part is just confusing.

but he doesn't have to listen to any suggestions he doesn't want to add.

I have demanded nothing. Chill the hell out everyone. I question his development process. Either provide some logical argument or move on. No need to go fan boy on me. You won't get any brownie points for defending him on a forum he doesn't read.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 05:59:34 pm by Lap »

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: September 12, 2010, 06:55:36 pm »

I do know code and I've previously checked on how the game access memory locations and tracks things on servers. The entity system supports easy additions. This proposed feature also only uses existing properties of current game elements, meaning no new complex code.
Therefore, he can either easily create it or he's a shit coder.
Thus, since he's probably not a shit coder I'm left wondering why he hasn't.

I have demanded nothing. Chill the hell out everyone. I question his development process. Either provide some logical argument or move on. No need to go fan boy on me. You won't get any brownie points for defending him on a forum he doesn't read.

Hey, Here's why. He is in the process of actually creating a business. Like, getting employees, finding an office space, and getting things set up. That takes a lot of work, and while, yes, he could be working on Minecraft, his work now will allow for even more rapid development.

He took a tour where he could see some perspective opportunity with established studios, and he's decided (or so it seems) that the best thing to do is start his own small company. He is making serious cash from Minecraft and will no doubt continue to work on it, but obviously getting his shit ready is the priority. To put a sad turn on things PayPal flagged his account and now funds he needs are being held from him, which is throwing a wrench in the works.

It's sad to see the lack of content that we have had recently, but there are reasons why, and good ones at that. I feel no worse for my purchase, nor do I feel any animosity towards Notch. He is an astounding success story and sets a very good example for anyone looking to do something similar.

As to his developmental process, it is his game, and he's going to do what he wants, Multiplayer is a priority for him, but I seriously doubt that Jukeboxes and other simple additions are taking much time. That is why they are the Secret Friday Updates, they are quick and fun additions. Multiplayer is obviously a more complicated beast, which takes time to tame. Doing the small and fun stuff is something of a comfort for him, as he has previously stated.

There are general concerns, I myself have hoped for more rapid development on the Multiplayer side, but I'm not worried. I see why it hasn't happened and I'm not going to complain. Once Notch get's his affairs in order, things should pick up quite rapidly. Until then, things might be slow, or (as they have) stop entirely, but I'm not bothered.

I do not regret the 13 dollars I spent on it, not one bit.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: September 12, 2010, 06:59:21 pm »

I question his development process. Either provide some logical argument or move on.
Secret Friday updates are things he considers fun to make i assume, and the rest of the time he's currently coding SMP.
Simple as that, and trapdoors are probably just one amongst many thing he might implement.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 1380