Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2422488 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #3915 on: August 21, 2010, 07:19:11 pm »

Gold is a trade commodity, what are you all talking about with your 'useless gold' nonsense.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: August 21, 2010, 08:06:08 pm »

In minecraft, it's pretty useless.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: August 21, 2010, 08:14:46 pm »

"I'll trade you some gold for those diamonds you have."

"Ok sure."

"Oh wait, I can go mine them myself in 5 minutes."

"damn."

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: August 21, 2010, 08:15:12 pm »

Until there are things to trade with it will only be useful in RP servers.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: August 21, 2010, 11:15:09 pm »

Until there are things to trade with it will only be useful in RP servers.

Even once there are things to trade for, I don't know if gold will be useful.

I mean, think about it: any kind of barter economy is based around bartering for things that people actually need. Iron would be a far better use for a baseline economic unit - everybody has a use for iron tools/armour, said iron items eventually break and need replacing, and iron is common enough that people frequently use it, yet rare enough that you're rarely drowning in the stuff.

Gold has no (current) use - unless some purpose is implemented for gold, it'll only be valuable if people 'assume' it's valuable. Unless we get a proper advanced economy (or you're playing a serious RP server), I'd expect a barter-based system to become the norm. Hence, ditch that gold and start stockpiling iron bars.  ;D

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: August 21, 2010, 11:19:41 pm »

Allow us to build golden idols, gold coins, gold statues, gold stairs, gold everything, along with iron everything and we will be good.
Gold would have use for show.
My solid gold castle is bigger than yours.
Notch could also add a few other basic metals like copper and we could have a party.
Also we have that problem anyway, why trade stone for tools when you can just make your own quickly.
Why should I give you my diamond for a bunch of iron tools when I can simply go off and make my own in the mines?
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #3921 on: August 22, 2010, 01:00:08 am »

as always, supply and demand will create the market. Currency may be useful in Notch adds in those monster towns or any sort of NPC town.
I got nothing

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: August 22, 2010, 08:28:07 am »

Without a proper division of labor, there is really little need for trade anyways, since all players can currently fill all economic roles easily.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: August 22, 2010, 09:24:23 am »

I wonder whether there will be a division of labour on most servers. I can see it happening on RP servers but why would a player decide to have nothing to do with a large chunk of the game? Even if I mostly just ran a farm I'd want to go down into the caverns anyway meaning I wouldn't need to trade my food for metals. Players don't get better at any of the tasks in game and no task is all that complex so there is little reason to pick a single profession.

I can imagine, on friendly or private servers, group stockpiles of excess stone, dirt, wood etc and small trades of goods or favours.

It has to be the first time I've been for adding some limited skill progression to a game, usually I detest grinding. Ideally the skill levels would be capped to avoid god players. You'd slowly get better at whatever you naturally did. Skill would impact actions or the effects of crafted items. Well crafted food would heal more, tools / weapons / armour last longer, weapons deal more damage etc. Anyone should still be able to make acceptable tools but the skilled would have a small advantage but more to loose. When you die you loose the skills. I don't know if it would work, hopefully moddable servers will let us find out.

Is anyone else excited about scriptable servers with custom tilesets?

I'd quite like to see a server where you need to eat and drink, proper survival.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: August 22, 2010, 10:07:28 am »

The only problem with eating and drinking is food is pretty limited as far as what we can produce and we'd have to transfer water or milk or w/e into some other device as a bucket just spills everywhere. That being said I want to make rivers of milk with my buckets of milk.
Please notch?
PLEASE?
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #3925 on: August 22, 2010, 10:36:12 am »

rivers of milk

Giant bees!

Giant beehives!

blocks of honey!

that would make flowers useful!
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: August 22, 2010, 11:32:01 am »

rivers of milk

Giant bees!

Giant beehives!

blocks of honey!

that would make flowers useful!

Imagine going spelunking in a hive the size of a mountain

FUCK YEAH.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: August 22, 2010, 02:00:52 pm »

I wonder whether there will be a division of labour on most servers. I can see it happening on RP servers but why would a player decide to have nothing to do with a large chunk of the game? Even if I mostly just ran a farm I'd want to go down into the caverns anyway meaning I wouldn't need to trade my food for metals. Players don't get better at any of the tasks in game and no task is all that complex so there is little reason to pick a single profession.

I can imagine, on friendly or private servers, group stockpiles of excess stone, dirt, wood etc and small trades of goods or favours.

It has to be the first time I've been for adding some limited skill progression to a game, usually I detest grinding. Ideally the skill levels would be capped to avoid god players. You'd slowly get better at whatever you naturally did. Skill would impact actions or the effects of crafted items. Well crafted food would heal more, tools / weapons / armour last longer, weapons deal more damage etc. Anyone should still be able to make acceptable tools but the skilled would have a small advantage but more to loose. When you die you loose the skills. I don't know if it would work, hopefully moddable servers will let us find out.

Is anyone else excited about scriptable servers with custom tilesets?

I'd quite like to see a server where you need to eat and drink, proper survival.

I'd still argue strongly against grinding, skill progression, etc. One of Minecraft's charms is the idea that you can do everything.

Personally, I'd say that you could increase specialization in a few other ways that don't add grindy elements:

* Biomes. For instance, clay is currently ultra-rare. If some biome existed where clay was abundant, then people in other biomes would end up trading for it - it'd be a real pain to sail halfway across the known map just to mine a few clay blocks. Likewise for other items; a massive desert might not have any trees. A mountain range might have more iron than your average plain. And so on. Not only would this encourage players to trade, it would also give us 'trade routes' and the like for free. (Fake edit: looking back over my other suggestions, this one really seems like the best. As in, this is the only one that would really work well. ;) )

* Teamwork. Mining is already going this way - once creature spawns are present in the underground, mining with a bodyguard will be far safer. I'm assuming that monster spawn numbers will be somehow scaled to player population (the number of mobs that threaten one person in single-player would be boring on a server with 20 players), and so you'd probably want someone watching your back while you're mining.

If you need support to perform a task, trading suddenly becomes valuable. Normally, it's a total pain to find someone with a given specialty and organize a trade with them; if harvesting the resource on your own is equally challenging to organize, trading might become more valuable.

Of course, not every job needs a bodyguard, and I'm having a tough time figuring out how farmers and whatnot would 'team up', but the concept is at least solid - if mining the depths of a cavern was a non-trivial problem that generally required multiple people, a non-miner would be tempted to trade rather than go mining himself.

* Limited inventory space. I'm having a tough time suggesting this... but if your inventory space was more limited, trading might become more important. Again, it's an issue of adding more time demands to 'switching jobs' - if you can't carry around the tools and blocks needed for every job on the planet, it's a hassle to switch them up. If a woodcutter needs to dump all his wood and axes into storage before setting off into the bowels of the earth to mine, he might be encouraged to trade with a miner for the extra iron. Especially prevalent if chests can be broken into - you might come back from your mining sojourn to find your woodcutting tools stolen! If you'd asked that miner to trade for his iron ore, however, then your tools never would have to leave your inventory, keeping them safe.

...huh. All my suggestions seem to be ways to annoy people and add useless effort to the game... which, frankly, is basically the same as grinding. I still like the biome suggestion, though!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: August 22, 2010, 02:12:37 pm »

Remember that in single player you're only in one place, if it spawns more mobs then the underground could easily become full.
Biomes idea is best, and will probably work well.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: August 22, 2010, 02:25:51 pm »

Remember that in single player you're only in one place, if it spawns more mobs then the underground could easily become full.
Biomes idea is best, and will probably work well.
and is currently under development.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 1380